Hiphop fans in here?

Gilly said:
Talib Kweli is one I've listened to a fair bit in the office. Rythmic beats but definitely hip-hop.

Even got a myspace!

Kinda reminds me of Jay-Z but good.

ooh ooh...listen to Hi-Tek. stat

Pretty much the only Hip-hop i listen to is, Dj Shadow, Dj Format, Dj Yoda and Saul Williams, just don't have the money to buy hip-hop Cd's as i already buy far too many rock and Drum and Bass cd's :D

As an aside, Saul Williams really surprised me, he was realy good live when i saw him supporting NiN, had no idea what to expect but he was amazing and his album is very good as well.

Sic said:
i really dislike the stigma attached to hip hop. it might be my favourite genre of music, but if you ever say that, people look at you like a total mongoloid!!
I agree with you totally, virtually all my friends like Metal, Indie etc. and even mentioning some sort of Hip-Hop to them i just get slated, so many people dislike it yet it is the highest selling genre of music, thinking that its popular Worldwide, maybe America more then good ol`England?

I also agree that anyone can like Hip-Hop, it's pretty much for everyone, for example, Eminem, i don't think i have met ANYONE that doesn't enjoy at leat one of his songs.

Guys i thinking in order to keep this thread alive, maybe i should change the tittle?
At the moment im thinking of -
All things Hiphop
Official Hiphop thread
Hiphop Nation..

Any other suggestion? Or may be i should just keep the original one?

I like Ludacris because he has a sense of humour which reminds me of Redman in his prime.

GhostFace is consistently hot.

The loss of J Dilla still hurts and especially so in the current climate of hiphop.

Can't wait for the BCC reunion LP plus they are coming to UK this month I think.

Anticipation for Cuban Linx II is mixed, will Chef serve up anything close to the original.

sara said:
BUT then I saw a documentary on late night C4 (I think) over Christmas hols about the emergence of hip hop from parties in the Bronx, how one DJ (I forget which one) realised there was a certain part in nearly every record where the song breaks down for a bit, and it gets really lively - and people dancing went nuts for it....................................................................

aww sounds like you missed the other parts to that documentary series about the history of hiphop, lasted a week i think and was very eye opening.

the guy who started it all was afrika bambaataa , seen him play in middlesbrough this time last year , no one thought he would turn up :p

NWA and wu tang are the only "gangsta" rappers i can tolerate

an album i highly recommend is "common" - "be"

best rap/hiphop album of last year imo and hardly a hoe, pimp, gun or bling in sight :P

Last edited:
Arcade Fire said:
That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but it makes you seem close-minded and ultimately very stupid.
No I don't think I am close-minded, I did say that I'd like to be proved wrong by listening to the less mainstream music, but by definition everything I've heard is the commercial stuff (else the underground stuff wouldn't be underground) and I don't like it.

Gilly has actually reminded me that I have a song by Talib Kweli, "Get By" I think it's called, which is okay. I also like the French rapper MC Solaar (at least the two songs I've heard of his) but it's because I've seen them in a film or on TV on a programme so it has a meaning and emotion behind it. I am quite interested in the soundtracks of films as they often throw in music that is completely unheard of by me or not to my taste and is used to good effect.

In general I don't listen to rap/hip hop or whatever the name for it is because I like music for the sheer sound of it and its beat etc, not for the meaning of the lyrics. Most of the music I listen to is electronic dance music and it usually has no lyrics and if it does, they're pretty much meaningless and are just there to sound nice. There's a remnant from my past in my love for the band Blur but I could tell you maybe the main words from the chorus of their songs and nothing else. I just seem to not be a lyrics person. There also seems to be a pattern in the rap and hip hop (at least I've heard) about complaining about how bad life is, how crack is ruining neighbourhoods, etc...sing about something positive!

thats why Hip-Hop and Rap have got such a bad name, because the press and other people who decide to protest against anything only hear the negative side of Hip-Hop, about guns, drugs etc. Yet there is a completley opposite side to Hip-Hop which is extremely positive, but does that make the papers?

I like a bit of Sage. He's like one of my favourite artists. I listen to him at least once every single day. I love him.

I've been getting into a bit of Aesop Rock recently. I like his style.

Atmosphere is pretty good. I only have the latest album though.

Brother Ali is pretty good too.

I checked out Buck 65, but I can't quite get into him. Something about his "flow" I don't like.

Cannibal Ox is/was quite good.

I'm thinking of checking out Cage and El-P too.

Anything in the charts I just can't class as hip hop. I've yet to actually hear a decent artist who's charted too. A decent artist with something intellegent and relevent to say. Hip-pop, is not the way forward.

Back
Top Bottom