Hiphop fans in here?

can i use this thread to say....

eazy e > *

NWA and eazy e are gods imo

rap/hiphop thats popular in the UK these days hasnt progressed one bit since NWA theyre still telling the same bull**** stories.

at least NWA where original when rapping about guns,drugs the LA riots etc.

artists like common,kanye west etc i dont mind though

Anyone checked out Plan B's album yet...can easily see why he's been named as the UK eminem, seeing definate similarities even though he has a pretty unique sound, has a great rhyming style and doesn't pull any punches, we need more artists like him to put Uk hip hop more firmly on the map!

Phunk-E-Man said:
Anyone checked out Plan B's album yet...can easily see why he's been named as the UK eminem, seeing definate similarities even though he has a pretty unique sound, has a great rhyming style and doesn't pull any punches, we need more artists like him to put Uk hip hop more firmly on the map!

Never heard of him (I aint too keen about UK hiphop like before)...got any mp3 of him i can listen too?

"Hip-hop" is in a sorry state nowadays. You've got these **** like 50 cent who have commercialized this genre and have 8 year old girls listening to it like its Girls Aloud or some equally lame pop band. To be fair I haven't listened to much of his work but what I have heard is just "poppy".

It seems a lot of hip-hop artists sell out. Groups that used to be good like Mobb deep now rhyme on tracks with 50 cent and you get the 8 year old girl effect. What about ice-cube? Jesus Christ...He done a cheesy children's film, proper ghetto! I think you still get the good groups like tribe called quest (phife dawg is just a legend) who don't start making bad tracks when they get well-known.

Like ElRazur, I'm not really into UK hip-hop. I'm into the early 80's to early 90's era. People/groups like Black star, Lords of the underground (little bit too grimey lol), Youngstas, a lighter shade of brown, organised konfusion, Dj quik, Too $hort (haven't heard any of his recent stuff, heard he sold out :(), Kool G rap, Easy E ah there's just too many quality hip-hop artists which are either no more or have conformed to this pop-hop. Well you've got Wu-tang, Az and the rare exceptions but they are rare!

Anyone recommend some old-skool gems I might of missed? Even better, some decent new-skool!

Can you recommend some good uk hip-hop please? I've heard some Louie slippers and it was alright but nothing special. What I've heard of dangermouse didn't really impress me. Task force are alright but I saw them live a few weeks back and they weren't all that tbh.

sniffy said:
"Hip-hop" is in a sorry state nowadays. You've got these **** like 50 cent who have commercialized this genre and have 8 year old girls listening to it like its Girls Aloud or some equally lame pop band. To be fair I haven't listened to much of his work but what I have heard is just "poppy".

It seems a lot of hip-hop artists sell out. Groups that used to be good like Mobb deep now rhyme on tracks with 50 cent and you get the 8 year old girl effect. What about ice-cube? Jesus Christ...He done a cheesy children's film, proper ghetto! I think you still get the good groups like tribe called quest (phife dawg is just a legend) who don't start making bad tracks when they get well-known.

Like ElRazur, I'm not really into UK hip-hop. I'm into the early 80's to early 90's era. People/groups like Black star, Lords of the underground (little bit too grimey lol), Youngstas, a lighter shade of brown, organised konfusion, Dj quik, Too $hort (haven't heard any of his recent stuff, heard he sold out :(), Kool G rap, Easy E ah there's just too many quality hip-hop artists which are either no more or have conformed to this pop-hop. Well you've got Wu-tang, Az and the rare exceptions but they are rare!

Anyone recommend some old-skool gems I might of missed? Even better, some decent new-skool!

I agree with that completley. My take on the whole thing is that artists have to go comercial in order to sell a huge number of records like 50 Cent did. His earlier stuff, before he got his record deal was a lot less commerical. Personally i like people like Jay-Z, Ice Cube, DMX etc. Another big problem is that we don't hear hardly any of the records coming out in America, we only get to hear the tracks that have done very well over there, as it would cost too much money to promote a track that didn't do too well in the States.

I haven't listened to too much UK Hip-Hop either. Though the stuff i have heard i enjoyed, such as The Mitchell Brothers, Kano, Plan B, Sway, Akala etc.

friddela said:
My take on the whole thing is that artists have to go comercial in order to sell a huge number of records like 50 Cent did. His earlier stuff, before he got his record deal was a lot less commerical.

I agree. Even 50 cent admitted himself on one of his tracks he sold out for the stupid amounts of cash he could get.

Personally i like people like Jay-Z, Ice Cube, DMX etc.

Jay-Z and Ice cube are no doubt good rappers. I can't speak for Jay-z but its ice cube's money-grabbing intentions that are lame, considering he used rap about how lame sell-outs are. I have to admit I hate DMX's voice :)

Another big problem is that we don't hear hardly any of the records coming out in America, we only get to hear the tracks that have done very well over there, as it would cost too much money to promote a track that didn't do too well in the States.

True. Some good internet stations about playing some low-key hip-hop though. I found a very slick artist called Ohmega watts from a station I sometimes tune into.

Woody__ said:
Just listen to Immortal Technique!

he is just using media issues to get fame and attention, his skills are good but his voice is lame, if he wrote some decent lyrics instead of all that al queda george bush crap he migh get some respect

dmpoole said:
That wasn't my question, I'll repeat -
Are there any more Hip Hop artists who sound like Eminem or is he a one off?

I've never heard anyone who remotely sounds like him or does his style of pee taking. I would have thought there would be a world full of imitators.

his style of pee-taking? ludacris has done it, DMX dun it before eminem knew what rap was, jay-z has dissed mobb deep to death, nas killed jay z with his diss, eminem is absolutrly crap if he was black he would have only sold bout 10 units, eminem didnt come up with any new styles its all been done before, he sounds like a kid

Psycho Sonny said:
his style of pee-taking? ludacris has done it, DMX dun it before eminem knew what rap was, jay-z has dissed mobb deep to death, nas killed jay z with his diss, eminem is absolutrly crap if he was black he would have only sold bout 10 units, eminem didnt come up with any new styles its all been done before, he sounds like a kid

hmmm, i agree with the fact that if he wasn't white he wouldn't of sold as many albums, however i believe Eminem has done as much for Hip-Hop then anyone. Personally, i enjoy his music, i like his old stuff on "Infanate" and "Slim Shady LP" but he is still good. The only part of music i dislike is the "pee-taking" music he comes up with.

UK hippety hip:

Mr.Thing (and now Mr.Thing + yungun)
Yungun
Dj Vadim
Yarah Bravo
TY
Roots Manuva
Mark B + Blade
Blak Twang
Phi-Life Cypher
Taskforce (not my thing, but might be yours)
Lewis Parker
Rodney P
Mud Family (mud files runs red, every mornin' is a dawn of the dead!)
Skinnyman
Fi Life Cypher
Braintax
Harry Love

Any of those acts will lead you into a really diverse UK hip hop network type thingy :).

I listen to:

Deltron 3030
Cunninglynguists
Syntax
Lowkey
Skinnyman
Braintax
Dialated Peoples
Jurassic 5
Jay-z
Jedi Mind Tricks

...to name but a few.

Last edited:
Anyone heard the new Ice cube's album - Laugh now cry later. In my opinion Ice is back and unstopable. I absolutely love every track, the production is slick, the lyrics are venemous, political, social and hard-hitting. He also replied all those critic who said "he has gone hollywood".......If you know what's good, i would recommend you bootleg this album (ok that was a joke, go buy the proper cd please) :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom