***Hogwarts Legacy - RPG***

Associate
I've got a 6800XT and absolutely no interest in ray tracing, can I expect decent performance? Is HDR support decent?

Is the game worth a buy?

TIA
Yeah the game plays well on a 6800xt. I’m playing at 1440p with fsr set to quality. I’ve got everything on ultra except volumetrics which I’ve dropped to high and i’m getting comfortably above 60 fps, most of the time it’s closer to 100 fps

Soldato
Using revelio is what tanks my FPS, casting it again and my FPS goes back to normal. I wonder if there is a fix for this somewhere in the graphics settings

Soldato
well, this 'fix' was a game changer for me, 60fps even with RT on in Hogsmeade (3080 10GB). Prior to this fps would drop to 30-40 big time.

Navigate to "AppData\Local\Hogwarts Legacy\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor" and backup "Engine.ini". Add the following to the bottom of the file and save it:

[SystemSettings]
r.bForceCPUAccessToGPUSkinVerts=True
r.GTSyncType=1
r.OneFrameThreadLag=1
r.FinishCurrentFrame=0
r.TextureStreaming=1
r.Streaming.PoolSize=3072
r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM=1

[ConsoleVariables]
AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdates=1
AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdatesDuringGamethreadUpdates=1
AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdatesEditor=1
This has certainly helped. Thank you. Not perfect but a good improvement.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Had a play earlier and have saved and quit after sorting hat scenes.

The combat feels so natural, watching youtube videos I didn't think I would like it but would tolerate it but having now played it, it feels like it will be super cool once more spells are unlocked and I've got more abilities to use. Really like that. Reflex+Boost makes mouse movement feel instant, even with an MX Master 3. The graphics are very nice and I didn't see any real stuttering either, although the first load there is shader comp which took about 1 minute or less, every other load of the game results in shader comp too but those times only takes about 10 seconds. The game itself loads the save within about 3 seconds.

Playing 3440x1440 144Hz on Ultra preset with Ray tracing all on, DLSS Quality, can lock RTSS to 60fps and it stays there. There are some frame dips to 50s or 45 during one cutscene so far but it does not result in frametime spikes and if the overlay was off, I'd never know. it's that scripted scene before the Hogwarts logo appears and we are then taken to the school. Everywhere else when you're actually in control it stays at the 60fps lock (so far).

There is no RTGI, but SSGI appears to be really good in this, which is nice to see, just like Dead Space's non-RTGI. Shadows from your wand light are really impressive.

I did notice that the game used up to 17GB of system RAM, whilst VRAM stayed under 9GB. 17GB of system RAM!!!!! What on earth?!

rjlxHoD.jpg

boCGNuo.jpg

I do however have one issue. The game caused my PC to hard-reboot a bunch of times. I am confident my PSU is just not powerful enough with this kind of resource use with this spec. It's a 750 watt Phanteks AMP and I know it's a power related hardware issue because a split second before it restarts, I can hear the PSU's internal resister click, the same noise when you hold the power button on the case for several seconds to hard-power off the PC. A software based issue would not have this noise and the PC would just soft-reboot.

Windows reliability monitor screen also says "Windows was not properly shut down" with no other log, again indicating the power issue.

ZExuh0w.png

So with that in mind, I have a Corsair HX1000i coming tomorrow and will put the Phanteks up on MM or something. The resources this game uses are quite insane. I don't think it looks visually more impressive than other games to warrant 17GB of RAM use, even Witcher 3 next gen running in a DX12 wrapper uses a mere 5GB of system RAM!

Plus you can see from the RTSS overlay above, the GPU utilisation was at 88% and I don't recall seeing it ever hit 99% so there are definitely things the devs need to do to optimise the game quite a bit.
Following on from this, new HX1000i PSU installed and played for a bit and I am pleased to announce that there were no restarts. So the 750 watt PSU was just not powerful enough to cope with the demand this game puts on the entire system.

So yeah, if you have a750~ watt PSU and are getting reboots in this or any game and hear the PSU clicking as the system reboots, then you need a beefier PSU.

Also, updated the Engine.ini file with the extra lines (IMPORTANT!!! then changed the pool size to half my VRAM as recommended) and adjusted the Shader cache size to 10GB in the NVCPL (global value).

Game does not move from the locked 60fps at all, even doing Revelio or anything else. now I am satisfied :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Playing through the tutorial section so far everything is fine no issues, controller works fine and it'll auto switch between keyboard/mouse and controller depending on whether you press either, nice. I'm enjoying it kind of like watching the movies but interactive trying to remember all the key presses for the spells. Seems to be rather a lot of cutscenes maybe it'll quieten down later. Could do with a ReShade preset or something to tweak contrast/saturation etc but ok for now. Seems to be 3rd person only. Had to lower difficulty as kept dying against guardians haha. Recommended: yes.

Not having any issues with fps in Hogwarts like other people report when moving or casting spells it actually goes up rather than down the lowest I've seen it is 75 it seems to stay at that point on idle. Ultra on everything, RT reflections on, shadows off the only thing is with RT on theres a slight I dunno, micro stutter in large areas of the castle here and there? Like something is struggling somewhere, no fps drops though. Disable RT and everything just flies. Rendering I put it at native 3840x1600 auto put it at 2560 or something or other upscaled. Hmm.

I'm seeing some odd RT reflections here and from windows that don't exist
20230212023002_1.jpg

Does it do the shader stuff every time for anyone else?

Also, cannot find mouse sensitivity anywhere? :o

Yes same mind you ENB in Skyrim does the same recompiles shaders every time. Wish there was a controller senstivity it could be better in menus

Last edited:
Associate
Following on from this, new HX1000i PSU installed and played for a bit and I am pleased to announce that there were no restarts. So the 750 watt PSU was just not powerful enough to cope with the demand this game puts on the entire system.

So yeah, if you have a750~ watt PSU and are getting reboots in this or any game and hear the PSU clicking as the system reboots, then you need a beefier PSU.

Also, updated the Engine.ini file with the extra lines (IMPORTANT!!! then changed the pool size to half my VRAM as recommended) and adjusted the Shader cache size to 10GB in the NVCPL (global value).

Game does not move from the locked 60fps at all, even doing Revelio or anything else. now I am satisfied :cool:
I've been playing it on a 1 year old 850W and it's fine. How old was your 750 because PSUs do degrade over time?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ok so been doing some back and forth testing now that the game isn't rebooting my PC and found that global GFX preset HIGH vs ULTRA has basically no visual difference, nor is the framerate any different (relative to variances):

But, there is a noticeable quality shift in RT effects if RT level is set to HIGH from ULTRA:

Notice how the HIGH screenshot "looks" like it has better shadows in the sunlight cast on the ground vs the ULTRA one? I think this is a technical catch 22, the ULTRA one is more accurate as to what you would see in real life if the light rays from the sun were cast on the floor there, the intensity is too high so you wouldn't see the thin frame in that light. Whereas the HIGH one is using some screen space shadowing to combine alongside the RT light/shadow so you get the defined shadow of the frame in the middle.

Visually I think the HIGH looks better when looking at both like this, even though the ULTRA is technically more accurate?

Also, transitional stutter is definitely a thing, even with the various tweaks people have posted. This is what I see when entering the courtyard near the start where it's all misty, but before I opened the door the telltale loading stutters started and remained for a few seconds, a definite distraction and annoyance. It happens to a lesser degree through all doors that have a new area behind them, just like in Dead Space Remake:

This is on a gen 4 NVMe capable of over 7GB/s read speeds for reference.

nW8KNZ9.png

For all intents and purposes I think from all this back and forth that the global HIGH preset inc RT on HIGH is the thinking man's setting to use since the difference is basically zero, and RT on HIGH provides a visual enhancement as it combines some screen space as well, regardless of technical accuracy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was getting out of memory crashes on a system with 32 gig ram and a 4090. By chance I had hardware monitor open and it highlighted 97% virtual memory use (4gb). Changed to 16gb and all OK now.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I've been playing it on a 1 year old 850W and it's fine. How old was your 750 because PSUs do degrade over time?
A year old, so definitely not a degrade thing. It also has a long warranty, so I would not expect a PSU to degrade this way anyway inside of the warranty period as all Japanese caps and everything.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It's quite possible it is Denuvo, we may never know, is Denuvo set to scan the data files at each new areas? This would explain the loading stutter.

Man of Honour
Was getting out of memory crashes on a system with 32 gig ram and a 4090. By chance I had hardware monitor open and it highlighted 97% virtual memory use (4gb). Changed to 16gb and all OK now.

Was wondering about that earlier I forgot to check what actual page file use was - I usually set 1024MB minimum, 8192MB max for virtual memory as usually that is all you need, no harm really setting a higher max though. I didn't really see the game hitting the page file though was mostly RAM transactions and/or GPU uploads.

I wonder how much of an impact denuvo is having on this game.

Game seems to stall quite a bit waiting on *something*, while IO activity is busy but I can't see what - as per some of the screenshots you often only see like 20% CPU utilisation and 80% GPU when things bog down. But I could only speculate Denuvo is involved.

Man of Honour
Went through did all the tweaks people have been talking about in the last 1-2 days - makes basically no difference on my setup.

Soldato
Went through did all the tweaks people have been talking about in the last 1-2 days - makes basically no difference on my setup.

Mine is running well as follows with a 3080 TI.

Graphics Options:

Everything set to High, including RT. RT enabled on all 3 options.
*Some of these could go down to Medium or Low such as fog quality or sky quality.

Display Options:

DLSS: Quality
Sharpness: As you like
Reflex: I don't really notice much difference with this, except adding it tends to use more power when enabled in combination with High or Quality presets.
Framerate: Cap at your desired FPS.

Other things I've done:

Updated DLSS version to latest.
Engine.ini setting changes a few posts up from here. My r.Streaming.PoolSize value is half my VRAM currently, 3080 TI has 12GB so (12 / 2) * 1024 = 6144.
* Edit - I was getting some slow downs at this level back in Hogwarts where I wasn't earlier. I'll set this back to 4096 and test it.
* Edit 2 - So far seems OK on 4096 based on my GPU, that is 1/3 of the VRAM.

Set Shader Cache to 10GB in NVCP.

Think that about covers it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom