***Hogwarts Legacy - RPG***

Associate
Mine is running well as follows with a 3080 TI.

Graphics Options:

Everything set to High, including RT. RT enabled on all 3 options.
*Some of these could go down to Medium or Low such as fog quality or sky quality.

Display Options:

DLSS: Quality
Sharpness: As you like
Reflex: I don't really notice much difference with this, except adding it tends to use more power when enabled in combination with High or Quality presets.
Framerate: Cap it in RTSS or here as appropriate. I typically target 60 FPS but if I get excess power via solar or cheap Go rates, I can set 120 instead and use the extra frames.

Other things I've done:

Updated DLSS version to latest.
Engine.ini setting changes a few posts up from here. My r.Streaming.PoolSize value is half my VRAM currently, 3080 TI has 12GB so (12 / 2) * 1024 = 6144.
Set Shader Cache to 10GB in NVCP.

Think that about covers it.
ditto.

Quite surprised how well the game responds, not noticed any slow downs (even in places where other said there were slowdowns - sorting hat and Hogwarts).

Soldato
ditto.

Quite surprised how well the game responds, not noticed any slow downs (even in places where other said there were slowdowns - sorting hat and Hogwarts).

I was getting some when I got back to Hogwarts again where I wasn't earlier. I've reviewed the list a little.

I think ultimately we are still going to need proper fixes/patches from the devs to address the most broken things.

When the game runs well though it's really good!

Soldato
well, this 'fix' was a game changer for me, 60fps even with RT on in Hogsmeade (3080 10GB). Prior to this fps would drop to 30-40 big time.

Navigate to "AppData\Local\Hogwarts Legacy\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor" and backup "Engine.ini". Add the following to the bottom of the file and save it:

[SystemSettings]
r.bForceCPUAccessToGPUSkinVerts=True
r.GTSyncType=1
r.OneFrameThreadLag=1
r.FinishCurrentFrame=0
r.TextureStreaming=1
r.Streaming.PoolSize=3072
r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM=1

[ConsoleVariables]
AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdates=1
AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdatesDuringGamethreadUpdates=1
AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdatesEditor=1

I did some runs with other .ini config edits and benchmarked the game. I have just gone ahead and done another run with this config. Sadly it didn't help

The actual game's performance is fine It's when you go from one area to another the frame rate tanks hard. Whatever this game is doing in the background it needs fixing! I can be running the main hall stairs and see 40fps and stop right away frame shoots to 90/100fps
"More .ini edit" is the above.
7584073911be547236c3c99b6f1afa079e55d32de45b125d250abb808e8dbf59fea6d0cd.jpg

Man of Honour
I did some runs with other .ini config edits and benchmarked the game. I have just gone ahead and done another run with this config. Sadly it didn't help

Yeah - either makes absolutely no difference for me or slight performance drop depending on variation of the settings.

Soldato
Adrenaline reports system ram 13.1 GB and VRAM at 17549 MB. Power 345w. GPU temp 65c/junction temp 77c. Thats a lot of RAM and VRAM nearly 18 GB. Wow. I bet thats causing issues especially at higher resolutions (3840x1600 for me).

If I enable AMD FSR2 rendering resolution 2560x1067 - 67% which honestly I can't tell the difference from native, and its 100+ fps everywhere usually 120-144 where the cap is. Slighty lower vram at a fraction over 16gb. It doesn't do anything to stop the micro stuttering when it occurs though.

Last edited:
Soldato
A year old, so definitely not a degrade thing. It also has a long warranty, so I would not expect a PSU to degrade this way anyway inside of the warranty period as all Japanese caps and everything.
Glad to see the larger supply worked for you. Are you going to try and warranty claim the other one? Mine is literally 3 months old so should be failing like that. My game was creasing at Shaffer complain so surely that's not cutting out due to it drawing too much power at that stage?
I'll try using two per supplies later but looks like I'll be getting another one.
Any recommendations from anyone on a small form factor 1000w PSU? Looks like options are pretty limited

Caporegime
Ok so been doing some back and forth testing now that the game isn't rebooting my PC and found that global GFX preset HIGH vs ULTRA has basically no visual difference, nor is the framerate any different (relative to variances):

But, there is a noticeable quality shift in RT effects if RT level is set to HIGH from ULTRA:

Notice how the HIGH screenshot "looks" like it has better shadows in the sunlight cast on the ground vs the ULTRA one? I think this is a technical catch 22, the ULTRA one is more accurate as to what you would see in real life if the light rays from the sun were cast on the floor there, the intensity is too high so you wouldn't see the thin frame in that light. Whereas the HIGH one is using some screen space shadowing to combine alongside the RT light/shadow so you get the defined shadow of the frame in the middle.

Visually I think the HIGH looks better when looking at both like this, even though the ULTRA is technically more accurate?

Also, transitional stutter is definitely a thing, even with the various tweaks people have posted. This is what I see when entering the courtyard near the start where it's all misty, but before I opened the door the telltale loading stutters started and remained for a few seconds, a definite distraction and annoyance. It happens to a lesser degree through all doors that have a new area behind them, just like in Dead Space Remake:

This is on a gen 4 NVMe capable of over 7GB/s read speeds for reference.

nW8KNZ9.png

For all intents and purposes I think from all this back and forth that the global HIGH preset inc RT on HIGH is the thinking man's setting to use since the difference is basically zero, and RT on HIGH provides a visual enhancement as it combines some screen space as well, regardless of technical accuracy.

Personally I have found ray tracing very poor in this. In some parts it looks good, in other parts it looks awful and worst of all, noticing some bad artifacting especially with RT reflections. PCgamershardware have said the devs. are working on RT IQ and performance improvements so fingers crossed.

Reactions: mrk
Soldato
Mine has been fine on a 6800XT with 5800x3d and 32GB, as you would hope. Max setting at 1440p no rt no fsr and I get 60 ish fps. I monitored with msi AB and it was GPU usage being maxed out not to mention 16GB of RAM and VRAM in use! I don't get stutters or anything though.

It's also a good steam deck game but drains the battery fast.

Ive unlocked the wider world it seems so looking forward to exploring a bit more. Professor Garlick is a bit nuts.

Soldato
Is this best played with controller or mouse & keyboard?

Personally kb + m with some stuff rebound.

I've rebound revelio to T, and then bound spells 1 - 4 to middle click, right click, e, and r.

1 - 4 now change pages on the spell book.

Bound dodge to one of the side buttons on mouse.

All this means combat feels a lot smoother as I can move and use spells more freely. Default 1 - 4 is hard to press whilst moving.

Associate
Another thing I've noticed when the game is loading the shaders as the game is booting up cpu usage is about 40% pulling about 80w the electrical current is about 132 amps

I'm guessing the radeon monitor software is off

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah - either makes absolutely no difference for me or slight performance drop depending on variation of the settings.
1fps higher in Ultra vs HIGH here when switching between RT high and RT Ultra, which was kinda funny!

Glad to see the larger supply worked for you. Are you going to try and warranty claim the other one? Mine is literally 3 months old so should be failing like that. My game was creasing at Shaffer complain so surely that's not cutting out due to it drawing too much power at that stage?
I'll try using two per supplies later but looks like I'll be getting another one.
Any recommendations from anyone on a small form factor 1000w PSU? Looks like options are pretty limited
There's nothing wrong with the Phanteks PSU so no need to RMA, the 750w just isn't powerful enough and/or the transient response isn't in-line with the demand in this game. I read elsewhere that the 3080 Ti also has very high transient spikes, too, to would not be surprised if both just came into an ideal situation (this game) where the issue presented itself.

Has anyone tried forcing rebar on for nvidia gpus to see if it makes a difference?
Just enabled it and set the two options beneath it to "battlefield etc etc". Can't say I notice any difference :p

Back
Top Bottom