***Hogwarts Legacy - RPG***

Soldato
No, deluxe main selling point was the early access.

I am enjoying this and am not a HP fan. I know the lore from my young son making me watch the movies though.

Soldato
I'm trying to work out the deal with how the game scales the FPS and power consumption.

Using my settings posted here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/hogwarts-legacy-rpg.18949355/page-31#post-36210441

I noted that with Reflex disabled, and FPS capped at 60, my power consumption is typically fairly low. The card isn't really being stretched to maintain the 60 FPS most of the time.

I have FPS limit set in RTSS to 60 as well but as far as I can tell RTSS limit doesn't matter and the game limit is more important, assuming RTSS limit is above or at the same FPS as the game.

If I leave RTSS at 60 but uncap Harry Potter the power consumption doubles, but I am still getting the same FPS. In one area of the game I can go from 130W to 260W simply by uncapping the FPS, even if RTSS locks me back down to 60.

I think Reflex is essentially rendering more frames, so it explains why enabling that also increases power back up, it's having to render more.

To reduce power consumption a bit it seems to be best to lock FPS to 60 in Harry Potter and RTSS, and disable Reflex. Anyone else able to confirm this drops power consumption a lot for them?

If you have stuff set to Ultra it will by necessity use more, but at High and with DLSS Quality set, this does make a big difference to mine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone using HDR on PC, ideally with OLED, ideally LG one, what sort of settings you using? Using G2 an recommends using HGIG in the game settings when calibrating HDR, but makes it so dark so gone back to dynamic. Just trying to find the spot, but such a minefield on windows with HDR, but enabling it does look decently better then SDR which is good.

Associate
It's interesting how our graphics cards become obsolete whilst the graphics on screen really don't improve all that much. As usual - always best waiting around 6 months for the "true" version of the game to be released.

Are they working on a pc patch ?

Soldato
I've done recommended benchmark which put it all to low. It's on 60fps. Tried 30fps but didn't do much. Running at 1080p.

It's playable just when you jump or big scenes it can jitter. Not sure what vsync and all that does?
I've just checked and the RX470 GPU is rated for 720 30fps on the steam page. The RX470 is close in performance to your GPU.

I do not think there is much you can do to eek out any more performance.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's interesting how our graphics cards become obsolete whilst the graphics on screen really don't improve all that much. As usual - always best waiting around 6 months for the "true" version of the game to be released.

Are they working on a pc patch ?
Rather than waiting 6 months I simply lower my expectations for games a bit, the PC crowd has become obsessed with "maximum FPS-itis" , most games are entirely playable at 60fps (or lower even) but there are some who are simply not happy unless they are smashing triple figures in a game and then wont play the game. So far I've found Hogwarts to be pretty enjoyable, yes I get frame drops from time to time..is it enough to make me quit the game, no, not at all. Its still playable (as evidenced by the people who have already completed the main story) and I continue to play it. Is it optimal, no, not at all, but thats fine, I can live with something in life not being optimal.

I'm sure they will continue to patch it over time and try and improve it, meanwhile I will continue playing and enjoying :D

Last edited:
Soldato
For science I tried this out on my Xeon 1230 v2 (i.e 4c/8t i7 2600 but down a couple hundred MHz) with 16GB RAM and a 4GB 290x and it runs fine. I'm getting 50fps out and about around hogwarts at 1440p FSR2 Balanced low settings. Might up it to medium settings and lock it to 30fps.

Soldato
For science I tried this out on my Xeon 1230 v2 (i.e 4c/8t i7 2600 but down a couple hundred MHz) with 16GB RAM and a 4GB 290x and it runs fine. I'm getting 50fps out and about around hogwarts at 1440p FSR2 Balanced low settings. Might up it to medium settings and lock it to 30fps.
Knowing my luck it will probably run on my simrig pc(R5 3600, 16gig ram, 1080ti) better than my main pc lol

Associate
This is a lot better than expected but performance is all over the place when exploring. It's like it's constantly struggling to load in areas and it seems to be struggling sometimes.

Associate
This is a lot better than expected but performance is all over the place when exploring. It's like it's constantly struggling to load in areas and it seems to be struggling sometimes.
Does not seem to be a very well optimised game. I haven’t had any problems but playing on a 4090.

Associate
Just about to buy this,but, before i do has anyone played using a rtx2070 yet? and can i expect around 60fps ish if played without raytracing and a mixture of high and medium settings? i also only have 16gb of ram

Specs are in sig

Caporegime
Lol, this just gets better and better, use high settings to achieve better graphics than ultra! :D :cry:

4OyOB2T.png

That's not RT but the "effects" option........

• Haha
Reactions: mrk
Back
Top Bottom