***Hogwarts Legacy - RPG***

SP as far as I know. Give in, get it. You know you want to ;)

I had zero interest in this due to it being Harry Potter, but the reviews, this thread and Saul changed my mind. I am only an hour or two into it and have to say it is better than I thought.

Thanks for the reply.

I will get it eventually, but hoping the price drops to around £30.

Its already dropped 20p in two days on CDKEYS! :p

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
Thanks for the reply.

I will get it eventually, but hoping the prices drops to around £30.

Its already dropped 20p in two days on CDKEYS! :p

I know what you mean, I felt the same too. But clearly you want it now, not worth waiting for the sake of a few quid. Go use TooCashBack or Quidco for some cashback if it helps. I did :)

I’ve upgraded to 32gb ram and it seems to solve most of the stutter/slow down. There has been updates since I last really played so could be that.

I noticed I was using over 95% of my 16gb and the pc was using a decent amount of page file when playing so figured upgrading to 32gb would help. Now the game is using 22gb of ram and page file is at zero.

I’ve upgraded to 32gb ram and it seems to solve most of the stutter/slow down. There has been updates since I last really played so could be that.

I noticed I was using over 95% of my 16gb and the pc was using a decent amount of page file when playing so figured upgrading to 32gb would help. Now the game is using 22gb of ram and page file is at zero.

I've done the same thing and it's solved the issues for me too. Mine was using around 14.5GB of the 16GB RAM. Now I use around 18-20GB of the 32GB available.

Just out of curiosity. I'm playing @ 4K with Dlss Quality. Using a 60hz monitor with freesync. When I turned on frame generation, I got horrible tearing & despite the technically higher fps number, it felt worse.
I turned off frame generation & turned on in-game V-Sync & it ran much better, pretty much perfectly smooth.
Interestingly, in Darktide, frame generation didn't have that effect at all. It took a smooth game & made it smoother.
Anyone got any insights ? Does frame generation tend to cause screen-tearing ?

Last edited:
Damn, found a bug already. In hogsmead got stuck near a house and could not get out of it. Was like you fell into quick sand and stuck on the spot. Even pressing escape did not work so I had to end the game in task manager.

Bloody butterflies, was transporting one back :cry:

The washed out one is HDR, just saved as jpeg which has no capability to display the HDR tone map which would otherwise be there. If you screenshot via GFE then that saved HDR screens as jxr format (iirc not used it in a bit) which is HDR, you then have to tonemap it using a free HDR to JPEG viewer tool on the Windows store. The overblown one is what sounds like tonemapped just way out of whack so fit for the bin. The former way is the only way to get reasonable tonemapped to jpeg HDR screenshots, and even then it's not perfect.

Far as I am concerned the SDR game looks fine enough, things are bright where needed and there's zero faff when it comes to recording or screenshots, so I don't bother playing games in HDR any more. Still benefit from OLED gaming of course so am not losing out on much.

The game honestly looks amazing in HDR if you have a display capable of good HDR with full array local dimming/OLED, HDR in this just looks the mutts nuts... I was just staring at the lanterns in Hogsmeade at night as they were actually glowing and not just a lifeless light on the screen.

My only gripe so far is ReShade not working properly with Frame Generation on, Goes wonky.

Last edited:
found a bug already

There is an interesting bug with a specific quest type like the Goblin camp/fort thing early on where if you pull the fight outside of the area it is supposed to be you get infinite spawning enemy until you either die or move into the central area of the quest - could use it for power levelling early on.

Had a couple of bugged bits so far, went into a quest area at a tower basement before I was meant to (was supposed to climb the tower first).

Couldn't go back, couldn't go forwards!

Nothing major though, and at least the autosave feature is fairly generous, so not too hard to go back a few mins if needed.

Damn, found a bug already. In hogsmead got stuck near a house and could not get out of it. Was like you fell into quick sand and stuck on the spot. Even pressing escape did not work so I had to end the game in task manager.

Bloody butterflies, was transporting one back :cry:

You probably exceeded your weight limit! :p

Last edited:
  • Haha
So after being plagued by massive frame drops to sub-20fps, I just reduced the texture quality to high. Eveything else on Ultra (balanced DLSS, RT off), and now I get a locked 60fps at 3600x1600 on my 3080 (5800x + 32GB). Crazy what running out of VRAM does eh? Was barely playable before and now it's perfectly smooth.

So after being plagued by massive frame drops to sub-20fps, I just reduced the texture quality to high. Eveything else on Ultra (balanced DLSS, RT off), and now I get a locked 60fps at 3600x1600 on my 3080 (5800x + 32GB). Crazy what running out of VRAM does eh? Was barely playable before and now it's perfectly smooth.

Don’t mention 3080 and running out of VRAM at the same time… oh crap now you’ve made me do it.

I predict the thread has just gone off topic for the next few days. ;)

Last edited:
New patch for the game though doesn't really have much PC specific changes/fixes though looks like they've possibly fixed the save games disappearing bug.

There is at least one memory leak fix which I think is both PS5 and PC applicable.

Last edited:
Managed to crash this game hard last night.
Probably just left myself standing in hogsmeade for 15 minutes without pausing whilst trending to my little one that had woken up.
I can back and it was completely unresponsive, I couldn't even get task manager up!!
Not sure if it was a one off - anyone else have any issues like this?

Worth disabling control flow guard:

Also disable fullscreen optmisations and dpi scaling:

Also, don't whack everything to ultra as in some cases, the visuals are actually worse than if the setting were set to high :cry:

4OyOB2T.png

I have textures set to ultra and a mix of high/ultra for the rest with RT off and dlss balanced (make sure you use 2.5.1 version as this also helped improve performance for several people), I'm getting a locked 4k/60fps and at 3440x1440 with dlss quality 100+ fps. There will be traversal stutter especially in hogsmeade or when entering new rooms in hogwarts but as noted by review sites, this happens even on the best of the best hardware, I have found the experience better/smoother on my 4k display tbh since fps is capped to 60, bit weird since fps is over 100 on on the aw monitor but it doesn't feel/look as smooth and no issues showing in frame latency either, maybe something down to animations not playing nice at anything above 60 fps

Didn't do this one yet as not sure I like the idea of turning a security feature off!

Running pretty good without that still here, though I do currently have RT disabled.

It's only turning it off for the game and not global wide. Has helped in a few games particularly ones heavy on CPU.

Testing this out more this morning:

I have found the experience better/smoother on my 4k display tbh since fps is capped to 60, bit weird since fps is over 100 on on the aw monitor but it doesn't feel/look as smooth and no issues showing in frame latency either, maybe something down to animations not playing nice at anything above 60 fps

Without a doubt a frame cap of 60 is far smoother than running anything above that, especially when entering new areas, there is pretty much no stutter compared to FPS over 100+ so something not quite right, either with the game or/and on my end.

Back
Top Bottom