***Hogwarts Legacy - RPG***

Worth disabling control flow guard:

Also disable fullscreen optmisations and dpi scaling:

Also, don't whack everything to ultra as in some cases, the visuals are actually worse than if the setting were set to high :cry:

4OyOB2T.png

I have textures set to ultra and a mix of high/ultra for the rest with RT off and dlss balanced (make sure you use 2.5.1 version as this also helped improve performance for several people), I'm getting a locked 4k/60fps and at 3440x1440 with dlss quality 100+ fps. There will be traversal stutter especially in hogsmeade or when entering new rooms in hogwarts but as noted by review sites, this happens even on the best of the best hardware, I have found the experience better/smoother on my 4k display tbh since fps is capped to 60, bit weird since fps is over 100 on on the aw monitor but it doesn't feel/look as smooth and no issues showing in frame latency either, maybe something down to animations not playing nice at anything above 60 fps

Thanks, I did clock that. I tried most of the reddit fixes out there with zero benefit, capped the framerate at 60fps like you and found that to be better, but the real gamechanger (literally) was dropping textures to high. I didn't want to do it, but the game is now perfectly smooth with only the very rare dip when loading into a new area etc, but it is completely unrecognisable compared to the horrendous stutter fest I had earlier.

So yeah, if you play at a high res, try dropping your textures a smidge to high to combat those huge dips to the teens when it is running at 100+fps elsewhere. If you are just getting low but steady performance, obviously try tweaking the settings in the video above instead.

And yeah, it does seem like running out of VRAM on a 3080 is indeed a thing at high resolutions. We all knew it should have had 12GB!

Bit weird how mine is working fine with ultra textures and dlss balanced at 4k though, maybe you have a browser or something in background eating vram? The texture setting in this game is apparently tied to the streaming of textures rather than textures quality itself. Either way, at least you got it sorted now :)

DLSS really is incredible tech. DLSS balanced at 4k looks more detailed than 3440x1440 dlss quality.

Last edited:
Bit weird how mine is working fine with ultra textures and dlss balanced at 4k though, maybe you have a browser or something in background eating vram? The texture setting in this game is apparently tied to the streaming of textures rather than textures quality itself. Either way, at least you got it sorted now :)

DLSS really is incredible tech. DLSS balanced at 4k looks more detailed than 3440x1440 dlss quality.

Yep. 4K is awesome :D:cry:

It is definitely showing the benefit more these days than it did a couple years back in games tbf.

Yep. I always saw the difference even back in 2014 when people said they could not :p

Just used the upscale thingy to render at 5160x2160 and it looks so much better than regular 1440pUW with DLSS off. I wish a decent OLED 4k UW monitor (not a tv) existed

I am actually doing that now with this game. Looks noticeably better to me. 5160x2160 with DLSS Quality.

Yep. I always saw the difference even back in 2014 when people said they could not :p

I am actually doing that now with this game. Looks noticeably better to me. 5160x2160 with DLSS Quality.

Oh god yeah it is night and day, I mean even at our regular res it looks better than the PS5 version on my 4K TV but it is hugely different upscaled. Unfortunately, some games I have tried that on breaks them as UI elements go to small or move and I cannot change them.

Reactions: TNA

That's because back then it didn't make much of a difference if any ;) :p Back then it did help with anti aliasing but then taa came along.... Higher res. does do better with taa methods though, most noticeable with rdr 2.

That's because back then it didn't make much of a difference if any ;) :p Back then it did help with anti aliasing but then taa came along.... Higher res. does do better with taa methods though, most noticeable with rdr 2.

I loved the sharpness too. Was simply better. But I remember people saying they could not see the difference which I knew was a load of rubbish unless sitting really far away from the monitor. Was night and day difference to me :D

Just used the upscale thingy to render at 5160x2160 and it looks so much better than regular 1440pUW with DLSS off. I wish a decent OLED 4k UW monitor (not a tv) existed

Just tried this out and can confirm, the boost in sharpness/clarity is insane! That's with dlss quality @ 3440x1440. Used it before in a few games but never seen a boost in IQ like this? It actually looks more detailed than my 4k oled now :cry:

Just tried this out and can confirm, the boost in sharpness/clarity is insane! That's with dlss quality @ 3440x1440. Used it before in a few games but never seen a boost in IQ like this? It actually looks more detailed than my 4k oled now :cry:

I was in hogsmead at the time and the buildings, especially the roof tiles just suddenly looked clear and not so blurry. I'm wondering if this is why I haven't been impressed by any PC game I've played recently. It's because I've been playing at 1440UW which doesn't offer enough to make it look hugely better than PS5 on the LG CX.

I was in hogsmead at the time and the buildings, especially the roof tiles just suddenly looked clear and not so blurry. I'm wondering if this is why I haven't been impressed by any PC game I've played recently. It's because I've been playing at 1440UW which doesn't offer enough to make it look hugely better than PS5 on the LG CX.

Maybe, I've always found 3440x1440 even with dlss quality pretty sharp/detailed looking though e.g. finished recently doom eternal and it had no blurriness to it at all and I couldn't tell a great deal of difference between 4k and 3440x1440 native. Think a large part of it comes down to if a game is designed with TAA methods in mind i.e. if it is a poor implementation and optimised largely with higher res./4k in mind. Even dead space remaster doesn't look that much better on 4k vs 3440x1440

It's weird why in this game though DLDSR is boosting the IQ so much though, I've used it in rdr 2 and a couple other titles before and it offered better clarity there too but nowhere near the same amount as in hogwarts here, even native 3440x1440 with TAA/DLAA doesn't look anywhere near the IQ of 5160x2160 with dlss quality.

I'm going to stick with playing this on my lg 55e7 over the aw qd-oled though, bigger screen, soundbar, lie back and chill with controller just works better overall for this game, however, the HDR IQ is 100 times better on the aw, no surprise given new qd-oled vs 2017 oled model though!

Reactions: TNA
Did you upscale in Nvidia Control Panel or in the game. The game settings show my screen resolution as 3440x1440 but rendering resolution as 67% of that with DLSS enabled. Turning DLSS off I can then change rendering resolution but it offers me nothing higher than 3440x1440.

Did you upscale in Nvidia Control Panel or in the game. The game settings show my screen resolution as 3440x1440 but rendering resolution as 67% of that with DLSS enabled. Turning DLSS off I can then change rendering resolution but it offers me nothing higher than 3440x1440.
You need to change your res in windows settings or NVCP.

I’ve upgraded to 32gb ram and it seems to solve most of the stutter/slow down. There has been updates since I last really played so could be that.

I noticed I was using over 95% of my 16gb and the pc was using a decent amount of page file when playing so figured upgrading to 32gb would help. Now the game is using 22gb of ram and page file is at zero.

Yep likewise, though I think my 16GB kit was dying anyways, but even before, slow downs in some areas, moved to 32GB kit and pretty much all gone.

Maybe, I've always found 3440x1440 even with dlss quality pretty sharp/detailed looking though e.g. finished recently doom eternal and it had no blurriness to it at all and I couldn't tell a great deal of difference between 4k and 3440x1440 native. Think a large part of it comes down to if a game is designed with TAA methods in mind i.e. if it is a poor implementation and optimised largely with higher res./4k in mind. Even dead space remaster doesn't look that much better on 4k vs 3440x1440

It's weird why in this game though DLDSR is boosting the IQ so much though, I've used it in rdr 2 and a couple other titles before and it offered better clarity there too but nowhere near the same amount as in hogwarts here, even native 3440x1440 with TAA/DLAA doesn't look anywhere near the IQ of 5160x2160 with dlss quality.

I'm going to stick with playing this on my lg 55e7 over the aw qd-oled though, bigger screen, soundbar, lie back and chill with controller just works better overall for this game, however, the HDR IQ is 100 times better on the aw, no surprise given new qd-oled vs 2017 oled model though!

I actually got a long HDMI cable just for the odd game so I can play in bed on my tv lol. Was playing this on it earlier which is when I noticed how much better it looked at 4K, then I went and tried the upscaling. I don't have any RT enabled at any res, it didn't seem to offer much for the performance drop and I found some weird stuff going on with reflections in certain places.

Yep. I did not even want to go back to do a test, I could tell the improvement was there and I did not want to go back. I am enjoying the game a lot more now as I was not that impressed initially with the graphics.

Loving the game. The story is nothing special as I thought (at least so far) but with gameplay like this it does not have to be. Glad I got it in the end :)

How are people getting on with the first trial? What level were you, when attempting this?

I'm stuggling to beat him.

:o

Not there yet. I am about 7 hours or so in and level 18. The main quests suggest I need to be level 5 :p

I have been exploring the map and discovering all the fast travel points, doing side quests and any merlin challenges I am able to at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom