***Hogwarts Legacy - RPG***

Yeah it was confusing me because settings windows to that res only became possible when you enable that DSR setting first.

Some games allow you to see the resolution even if windows is still native res others don't and you have to have the DLDSR res on windows too. Then you have other games where even so still only works on native res does not see the DLDSR res no matter what.

Last edited:
60 fps is plenty for this game anyway. Much rather the image quality boost myself.

I can use a lot less than the card pulls at 60 FPS with a lower res and standard DLSS, with this boost to res and then DLSS re-sizing it back to monitor res, the card is like 250-300W usage.

Keeping res at normal, DLSS set to quality, it's more like 150W or so.

Essentially a jump in power cost at with a trade off for IQ. Runs smoothly in both so far as I can tell.

I have solar panels and batteries but until a bit later into the year, I can often run out of juice before the day ends still. Power consumption does matter a bit to me, especially as my peak rate electric is more than normal to make up for cheaper off-peak.

I'd use this if I was swimming in excess solar power though, may as well turn on the bells and whistles then!

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
I can use a lot less than the card pulls at 60 FPS with a lower res and standard DLSS, with this boost to res and then DLSS re-sizing it back to monitor res, the card is like 250-300W usage.

Keeping res at normal, DLSS set to quality, it's more like 150W or so.

Essentially a jump in power cost at with a trade off for IQ. Runs smoothly in both so far as I can tell.

I have solar panels and batteries but until a bit later into the year, I can often run out of juice before the day ends still. Power consumption does matter a bit to me, especially as my peak rate electric is more than normal to make up for cheaper off-peak.

I'd use this if I was swimming in excess solar power though, may as well turn on the bells and whistles then!

I am on 22p kwh today so I am just enjoying it :D

I am on 22p kwh today so I am just enjoying it :D

Not far off now being able to basically do anything and never run out haha.

For the time being though just seeing how efficient I can run it, should I wish to not consume too much electric.

I use a lot in a day so don't want to add too much excess on any given day if I can avoid it, its nice being able to play games like this for longer due to using less power etc.

So I just gave the DSR thing a go, I think I set it up all right:

cpdrcIi.jpg

Still get mega traversal stutters :rolleyes: - I won't bother putting too much time into the game until they release the next patch due to this as it is too jarring since you are in and out of these areas often.

l88oLBK.jpg

And a comparison between 3440x1440 and 5160x2160

zFxaahw.jpg

1khCV94.jpg

there is obviously a significant performance hit. The VRAM use has doubled essentially and the RAM will easily hit over 20GB for just the game alone once I have been in for an hour as at 3440x1440 the game uses 18GB RAM lol.

Still, framerates are high, and that's a 3080 Ti which is impressive.

It looks better because we are packing in a higher resolution into the same screen space, the same way a high PPI photo resized from its native say 25MP format looks sharper downscaled to the screen's native res it is being displayed on with a half decent scaler. I understand how DSR works and why it looks good and why people prefer it on smaller than the native DSR res capability of the monitor being played on.

if there was a simple set and forget for DSR for any given game I'd probably use it more often where applicable. Because Windows res has to be changed etc before loading each play, I just find that annoying so don't bother :p

Last edited:
Yes that's the idea, just like Windows HDR, you'd never really run it all the time because it displays colours and tonal balance inaccurately for SDR content etc. Which is why I mentioned it's annoying having to keep changing res back and forth every time you play.

Yes that's the idea, just like Windows HDR, you'd never really run it all the time because it displays colours and tonal balance inaccurately for SDR content etc. Which is why I mentioned it's annoying having to keep changing res back and forth every time you play.
Thanks, makes sense now.

So I just gave the DSR thing a go, I think I set it up all right:

cpdrcIi.jpg

Still get mega traversal stutters :rolleyes: - I won't bother putting too much time into the game until they release the next patch due to this as it is too jarring since you are in and out of these areas often.

l88oLBK.jpg

And a comparison between 3440x1440 and 5160x2160

zFxaahw.jpg

1khCV94.jpg

there is obviously a significant performance hit. The VRAM use has doubled essentially and the RAM will easily hit over 20GB for just the game alone once I have been in for an hour as at 3440x1440 the game uses 18GB RAM lol.

Still, framerates are high, and that's a 3080 Ti which is impressive.

It looks better because we are packing in a higher resolution into the same screen space, the same way a high PPI photo resized from its native say 25MP format looks sharper downscaled to the screen's native res it is being displayed on with a half decent scaler. I understand how DSR works and why it looks good and why people prefer it on smaller than the native DSR res capability of the monitor being played on.

if there was a simple set and forget for DSR for any given game I'd probably use it more often where applicable. Because Windows res has to be changed etc before loading each play, I just find that annoying so don't bother :p

But like this is PC gaming bro. We spend ages looking for ways to optimise etc. For such a improvement in image quality I do not think it is much to ask to do a few clicks.

All depends on the game for me. Some seem to have a bigger impact than others.

Now that I know to set DSR first then res in NVCP I can get this to work but the windows desktop (text) is very blurry. Do people just enable this for gaming then turn it off again?

Unfortunately yes. Worth it for me as I see a substantial difference in this game which impacts my enjoyment.

Last edited:
Now that I know to set DSR first then res in NVCP I can get this to work but the windows desktop (text) is very blurry. Do people just enable this for gaming then turn it off again?
Usually you don't have to change the desktop resolution with other games. You can simply choose the higher res from within the game options itself. It's a bit annoying that you can't do it with Hogwarts for some reason.

I think certain puzzles or cave entrances that you can’t do/open until you have a certain spell or particular quest should be highlighted at the beginning. My stubbornness cost me 20 minutes trying to open a cave door and around 15 trying to do the puzzle with the three sets of two blocks. Now I know:mad:

• Haha
Having played and loved both Assassins Creed Odyssey and Valhalla, I'm finding this difficult to love.

Don't get me wrong it's a decent game, but it seems to be drastically lacking when compared to both these games whilst striking similarities.
You can't compare Ubisoft AC games to Hogwarts Legacy because this is Avalanche first release since their acquisition by Warner Bros.

You can't compare Ubisoft AC games to Hogwarts Legacy because this is Avalanche first release since their acquisition by Warner Bros.
It seems a little short sighted to say they can't be compared, given there are striking similarities in the delivery of the games - Avalanches implementation feels just like a less polished standard. There's nothing within Hogwarts Legacy which sets it apart from AC games in a positive way, in my opinion.

I've had to put this on pause for the time being because of the release of Atomic Heart and Returnal, plus Sons of the Forest and Company of Heroes 3 coming this week but I will definitely be returning to it to finish it off (prior to the release of Diablo 4 in June), its been better than I expected it to be.

I'm not overly a fan of the talents trees and similar RPG mechanics - feels far too limited and a bit arbitrary/based on specific upcoming, sometimes one off, game progression needs. Games like this are much more fun when you've got a range of talent perks, etc. similar kind of thing let down Cyberpunk 2077. Games like The Division did it a bit better where you can put much more of your own spin on character building.

Back
Top Bottom