Horizon: Forbidden West

Soldato
Been playing this all day, where has the day gone!? Absolutely blown away! Amazing so far, the details are insane, the machines are so well designed, really taking my time and exploring, just can't put it down

V F

V F

Soldato
Been playing this all day, where has the day gone!? Absolutely blown away! Amazing so far, the details are insane, the machines are so well designed, really taking my time and exploring, just can't put it down

I remember on Friday, 6 - 8 hours burned through like it was 2. I had to stop because it was becoming unhealthy. :eek::cry:

Soldato
Played a little bit more tonight and I set it to performance mode. Feels loads better.

There is one thing I’m noticing though - and for me it just doesn’t sit right. It’s that the script writing is using contemporary language and phrases that feel really unlikely (to me at least) to be in use in a post apocalyptic Horizon world, 1000 years since it all went sideways.

It often feels like I’m watching our world just with a different backdrop and it’s kind of breaking the immersion of the story/dialogue for me. The script is littered with it, and even has ridiculous moments like when Aloy shouts a 4 lettered word for poo in a cutscene. Really? Just feels like a total lack of imagination.

I’m sure someone will come along and explain they are descendants of Americans - but do we talk anything like our 1000 year old predecessors!?

It’s bugging me, not enough to spoil the game but it’s still “grinding my gears”.

Soldato
What difficulty you all playing on? I'm playing on Story on HZD to catch up to the point where I got back in 2017 but I think I'll keep it on there until I finish it. Managed to do 50% in a day.

Playing on hard for now hopefully won’t be too challenging, also gone for that explorer too. Much prefer when games don’t give you an option nowadays imo and it’s just 1 difficulty.

Soldato
Played a little bit more tonight and I set it to performance mode. Feels loads better.

There is one thing I’m noticing though - and for me it just doesn’t sit right. It’s that the script writing is using contemporary language and phrases that feel really unlikely (to me at least) to be in use in a post apocalyptic Horizon world, 1000 years since it all went sideways.

It often feels like I’m watching our world just with a different backdrop and it’s kind of breaking the immersion of the story/dialogue for me. The script is littered with it, and even has ridiculous moments like when Aloy shouts a 4 lettered word for poo in a cutscene. Really? Just feels like a total lack of imagination.

I’m sure someone will come along and explain they are descendants of Americans - but do we talk anything like our 1000 year old predecessors!?

It’s bugging me, not enough to spoil the game but it’s still “grinding my gears”.

I hear you. A certain smithy friend of Aloy in Chainscrape earlier used the word "ain’t" in a sentence. It immediately felt out of place.

Caporegime
I'm beginning to think the bows are utterly useless. They seem to do so little damage and you are constantly knocked over by machines that you may as well just go around clobbering everything with your spear.

I'm having moments now where I'm thinking "I don't like this game at all" but then something happens with the story and I'm "Oooh, this is interesting." I think I'd rather watch a film of it and not have to mess about with all the bits in between. First time I've ever thought that. And I absolutely loved the first game so I really don't know why I feel this way.

Associate
I'm doing a lot more running and dodging that the first, that's with slow mo very targeted shooting. Admittedly this with a base preorder bow.

ps, no more whistling now, only throwing rocks? Man I used that all the time to pick off groups.

Soldato
I'm doing a lot more running and dodging that the first, that's with slow mo very targeted shooting. Admittedly this with a base preorder bow.

ps, no more whistling now, only throwing rocks? Man I used that all the time to pick off groups.
Looks like quite a few mechanics have changed. Backward step in my view and has simply introduced frustration not present in the fist game. No matter how many rocks I throw; in certain locations, machines seem ambivalent to investigate!

Associate
I'm beginning to think the bows are utterly useless. They seem to do so little damage and you are constantly knocked over by machines that you may as well just go around clobbering everything with your spear.

I'm having moments now where I'm thinking "I don't like this game at all" but then something happens with the story and I'm "Oooh, this is interesting." I think I'd rather watch a film of it and not have to mess about with all the bits in between. First time I've ever thought that. And I absolutely loved the first game so I really don't know why I feel this way.

They're certainly not weak - I can two shot some of the creatures with my hunter's bow and sharpshooter bow. And I'm still in the Daunt, at lvl 10. Have you upgraded any of your gear ? As the game states, your power is mostly derived from doing just that, not levelling. Last night I unlocked an achievement for completely upgrading three weapons ... apparently only 25% of players have done this. I think this illustrates that many players are probably just rushing through the initial segment to reach the "Forbidden West". Without upgrading your gear creatures like the Fanghorns and Bristlebacks are considerably tougher to deal with.

Soldato

Whistling was definitely easy mode on the first game. Usually consisted of..hide in tall grass, whistle enemy over, stealth takedown. Rinse and repeat until camp is clear :D

Soldato
They're certainly not weak - I can two shot some of the creatures with my hunter's bow and sharpshooter bow. And I'm still in the Daunt, at lvl 10. Have you upgraded any of your gear ? As the game states, your power is mostly derived from doing just that, not levelling. Last night I unlocked an achievement for completely upgrading three weapons ... apparently only 25% of players have done this. I think this illustrates that many players are probably just rushing through the initial segment to reach the "Forbidden West". Without upgrading your gear creatures like the Fanghorns and Bristlebacks are considerably tougher to deal with.
Ahh this is interesting. I was wondering what was or was not available to pick in the Daunt. I'm only Level 7 and have just got to the second main settlement. I've come across a number of blocked paths / missing tool. Can I assume you can pick this up in the Daunt itself?

Associate
Ahh this is interesting. I was wondering what was or was not available to pick in the Daunt. I'm only Level 7 and have just got to the second main settlement. I've come across a number of blocked paths / missing tool. Can I assume you can pick this up in the Daunt itself?

I still have one or two markers indicating a "blocked path", and I'm just about to hit the second settlement / quest hub proper. But already, without really trying, I have 3 weapons fully upgraded ( with weapon coils added ) which makes a huge difference to combat effectiveness. So I just want to encourage people to sloooow down, take their time and enjoy the game ....

Back
Top Bottom