Horizon: Forbidden West

Soldato
Having a hard time distinguishing between performance and resolution in terms of visuals, so I'm playing on Performance, it feels nice. Playing on an LG 55" CX but I've not seen any videos comparing the two side by side, so wonder if I'm missing much.

You've got to be kidding? The difference between the 2 is instantly noticeable as the resolution (4k) option is a bit of a slideshow at 30fps. The performance option drops the resolution to 1800p but mercifully increases to 60fps.

Edit: actually, you're saying you can't see a visual difference - fair enough.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Sorry I might have missed it. Is anyone complaining about how she looks?

No. I was commenting on the fact that her face looks weird vs most of the characters in the game. Theres something a bit off and sort of uncanny valley about her. Nothing to do with her not being fit or attractive. This is also referencing the first game. She looks slightly different in the second from what I have seen.

V F

V F

Soldato
It feels to me like the Ropecaster has been nerfed as well. Unless it's because it's only green level and I was trying to do a Bristleback with it. I couldn't tie it down before it broke free. I have yet to see a blue version. In fact, it's only now at level 22 that I feel I'm getting to grips with the combat. I have most of the arrows I had in the original game so I feel more comfortable. But you are still jumped on way too much by over-agressive machines. I guess Hephaestus has altered their programming. :p

Green was always weak. Even in the first game. It's the purple gear and purple coils you want. Plus if I remember correctly, it wasn't until max level in the first game before the good stuff started dropping. Which I think was level 40. Or was it 50?

Soldato
You still need to get slightly further than that for other locked places.

I’m not a fan of it tbh. I hate having to backtrack, but at least those locations are maked on the map. It doesn’t make the ‘open world exploration’ feel as open as it should.

it is quite annoying having to backtrack to areas, I usually like to try clear an area then move on.

Man of Honour
I don't fully get the complaints re aloy looks, is this because she isn't what most of society deem as sexy, fit, typical model view?

I understand the animation complaints as that can apply to most games.

I don't see anything wrong with how aloy looks it's actually refreshing she isn't some stick thin model.

Almost certainly. As a character I think she’s great. She’s aged, she’s grown as one would expect, she uses her brain more than her brawn.

I watched the DF tech review today and it only dawned on me how much this game has truly grown in terms of tech, and for the better.

it is quite annoying having to backtrack to areas, I usually like to try clear an area then move on.

The only plus side is that there are camps everywhere and while I don’t fast travel much at least it’ll be quick to get back to those areas. 6s max load times too - what a crazy improvement in itself.

V F

V F

Soldato

It used to drive me nuts in some games when an area wasn't marked down as 100% then I had to let go of that. Since games force you to come back to areas. :cry:

Associate
Glad wasn't the only one noticing HDR problems.

Yep had exactly the same issue, HDR is bust. Man why do they find this soo hard? Most games don't even implement it, with invisible limits on the brightness. His videos are soo informative to the jank from AAA studios. Ratchet and Clank is one of the few I really noticed the HDR in a big way.

Associate
Just finished main mission
Deaths Door, i almost spat my drink out when they entered the room. Was abit jumping the shark if im honest, abit silly. The clone was interesting but the rest was goofy.

V F

V F

Soldato
What's the catch getting the tusk part off the Widemaw? I cannot seem to get it from all the rocks it spits out. Apparently it is inside its mouth.

This is unreal. 6 Widemaw's killed and cannot get the tusk off.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm beginning to think the bows are utterly useless. They seem to do so little damage and you are constantly knocked over by machines that you may as well just go around clobbering everything with your spear.

I've found I'm doing that as well. The bows are OK when you haven't been spotted or you're far away but relatively close they're useless. The enemies move too fast to be able to target parts and most of them can jump a huge distance to attack you.

Caporegime
What's the catch getting the tusk part off the Widemaw? I cannot seem to get it from all the rocks it spits out. Apparently it is inside its mouth.

This is unreal. 6 Widemaw's killed and cannot get the tusk off.

Can't remember the specifics for them but is there a way to disable its elemental attacks by shooting some other part of it? Ah! Perhaps try using some Purgewater against it. It's weak against that and purgewater stops elemental attacks. I've yet to find a bow with purgewater capability but there are some traps.

Then again, does it spit rocks made from earth or ice? I might be getting confused with shellsnapper.

EDIT: Another possibility - shoot tear arrows at its mouth in the hope they pop out a tusk? I've not had to bother with all this on easy mode, you can loot everything when the machine dies.

EDIT2: Destroying the vacuum unit will stop it sucking up rocks to throw.

Last edited:
Soldato
Done couple hours now, did a side quest that was level 5 but I was level 3 and it was do able, was a side mission I found in the daunt. Just saved at chainscape.

I love it

Back
Top Bottom