Horizon: Forbidden West

Caporegime
Good time to start up Boomerang rentals again I think, when I eventually get a PS5. Was going to get digital version but seeing the prices on the PS Store, no way José! And this is one I will want to play on release rather than waiting three years. :p

Associate
I’ve been signed up to stock informer etc this whole time and could have had a PS5 a few times, in fact I’ve posted in the PS5 thread to alert people to the fact they are available. The one reason I won’t buy one is £70 for a first person game. Sony can go **** themselves, for the gamer my ****

Soldato
I’ve been signed up to stock informer etc this whole time and could have had a PS5 a few times, in fact I’ve posted in the PS5 thread to alert people to the fact they are available. The one reason I won’t buy one is £70 for a first person game. Sony can go **** themselves, for the gamer my ****

Its generally all next gen focused games that will be this price and not just Sony exclusive IP right?

Yeah, £70 is pretty steep but games generally haven't increased in price in what feels like forever. In fact they were generally more expensive I'm the Snes/megadrive days. I think Street Fighter 2 was £60+ which was crazy in those days. That would work out at £110 when you factor in inflation.

Games were probably too cheap in the PS3/360 days when you look at production costs etc and likely why we have such a big increase now. In the space of just over 10 years new releases will almost double in cost. You can always wait for pre owned and sakes etc?

Caporegime
I don’t buy the increase when companies are still posting many millions, sometime billions of profit per year.

yes times have changed, but companies are also far more aggressive with DLC/micro transactions etc post sale.

Soldato
I don’t buy the increase when companies are still posting many millions, sometime billions of profit per year.

yes times have changed, but companies are also far more aggressive with DLC/micro transactions etc post sale.

Not all game companies post the profits or EA and Activision.

Yeah, I think DLC/loot boxes should be factored into the cost or the game and you could make an argument for FIFA going F2P. Horizon likely won't have an abundance or DLC or loot boxes though and a lot or time and effort will go into making a strong single player experience.

I think single player games these days will struggle to be released at £40. Like to be clear, I'm not a supporter of it as I hate spending more money but I kinda get it. I personally think £70 is quite a leap and a figure of around £55 would have been reasonable.

Soldato
Yeah, £70 is pretty steep but games generally haven't increased in price in what feels like forever. In fact they were generally more expensive I'm the Snes/megadrive days. I think Street Fighter 2 was £60+ which was crazy in those days. That would work out at £110 when you factor in inflation.

The price increase is not justified at all. The amount of people that buy games has increased dramatically since the 90's. And the amount of micro (which are now mega transactions when they want you to pay £20 for a skin) transactions crammed into near enough every single game means publishers are making more money than they ever have.

Sony announced not too long ago that Spiderman sold 20 million copies. Let's say they sold for an average of £30, that's £600 million they made from it.

Soldato
Sony announced not too long ago that Spiderman sold 20 million copies. Let's say they sold for an average of £30, that's £600 million they made from it.

They haven't made £600 million as they need to cover production costs along with marketing and post product support. That alone will be 100s of millions. I'm not justifying £70 for a game but I think based on the increased time, complexity and support a small increase isn't wrong. Like I said about £55 would be reasonable enough.

Soldato
Take the price of console games to its own dedicated thread :p :) it gets tiresome rehashing the same old arguments about price increases. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it day one and wait for a sale.

Soldato
Ignoring @Mobius 1 for a second :)

Game trading is something I use a lot so I'm not too bothered by the initial price. I just buy, play then sell on. Because the entry price is higher so is the trade in value, so it's not really changed all that much, other than the initial outlay. Digital though I'd never pay that much for something. Never say never though I suppose, we'll all be paying it digital one day. Or more subscriptions at least.

Soldato
I think R&C was designed as a showcase title. The rift stuff simply wouldn't be doable on the PS4.
ANd this is why i am worried about horizon, gt7 and now god of war..

they are last gen titles upscaled to 4k 60fps with a bit more shine on it.

Terrible decision by the developers.

You either just be honest say right, the next sequal is still last gen and the next one after that will be proper next gen.

Sony diddnt pull off this nonsense between the ps3 and ps4 so why they messing it now?

Soldato
ANd this is why i am worried about horizon, gt7 and now god of war..

they are last gen titles upscaled to 4k 60fps with a bit more shine on it.

Terrible decision by the developers.

You either just be honest say right, the next sequal is still last gen and the next one after that will be proper next gen.

Sony diddnt pull off this nonsense between the ps3 and ps4 so why they messing it now?

Watch the DF video on the Horizon reveal - I watched it this morning. Their biggest concern was how the heck are they going to scale this back far enough to even run on a PS4. I wouldn't worry about the PS5 version at all.

The PS3/PS4 architectures were so different. Not so this time where pretty much everything is forward and backwards compatible. Multiplats like COD were still being released on the PS360 for up to 3 years into the XB1/PS4's lifetime. Don't forget also last gen was the gen of the remaster where we were asked to buy PS3 games again with a new paint job - and again in the case of GTAV.

Back
Top Bottom