Horizon: Forbidden West

Soldato
thats (£70) the price Sony has charged for all new ps5 exclusives

Its weird. You'd think I'd be used to it by now but even nearly a year later I still baulk at the idea of paying £70 for a game. It's part of the reason that the only game I own for my PS5 is Demon's souls. Mostly I've just rented or borrowed games from friends!

Caporegime
Big Jim has backed down, free upgrade from PS4 to 5 now and other first party cross releases will be $10 upgrade.

£60 for a PS4 game is still a massive rip off though and they've only done it because nobody in their right mind would have bought the PS5 version if the PS4 one was nearly half the price. I'll be waiting with anything over £50 but unfortunately it'll probably affect me more than Sony as most others will just take the sudden price hikes up the rear as they've already been rope a doped into buying special and limited editions for a similar price.

It's only a few short years ago we were told that digital would lead to cheaper games, how'd that work out? they're nearly twice as expensive as before and assuming physical will eventually be killed off you won't get many cheap deals because you won't have retailers trying to make room on shelves.

Last edited:
Soldato
Considering we all knew that Sony Studio games were going to be £70 at launch since the PS5 was announced, it seems mad people are still going on about it now.
If you're buying physical then it's unlikely you're paying £70 at launch - many people happily buy at launch, complete the game, get most of their money back from reselling and then buy again (to keep) once it's cheaper (if at all).
Nobody should be paying £70 at launch for the digital version either, with buying Wallet Top-ups for lower than the face value, it should be closer to the £60 mark.

If £70 games are too much to stomach then stick to buying games 6 months later when they have taken their first discounts, or keep an eye on the likes of Ebay from around 3-4 months after release and pick up second hand.

I buy very few games at release unless I can get a large discount, although Forbidden West may well be one I do.

Soldato
If you're willing to put a little effort in selling games on then yeah, once past the extra initial outlay it's the most cost effective way.

It also plays UHD 4k blu rays if that's your thing (I have a few)

I think they were referring to buying the PS4 copy of this game rather than the PS5.

Associate
I think there’s very few games that I end up buying on release date just because of how expensive they are. Always seems to go up by £10 each time a new console is released.

I managed to download Horizon Zero at £3 which included the DLC. Best £3 I ever spent.

The new horizon might definitely be one that I pick up on release date. Really can’t wait

Soldato
Its weird. You'd think I'd be used to it by now but even nearly a year later I still baulk at the idea of paying £70 for a game. It's part of the reason that the only game I own for my PS5 is Demon's souls. Mostly I've just rented or borrowed games from friends!
But nobody is paying £70 for PS5 games - they certainly shouldn't be.
Currys will take £51 for the PS4 version of this game, which will net you a free upgrade to the PS5 version. If you want the PS5 version so you've got your copy of the game on the disc (so no downloading) and to match your library - £59.50

Digitally, £70 of PSN currency can be had for £61.70

Soldato
I'm gonna hold off a bit. If I buy it now. It will purely be for a tech demo, I can't honestly say I enjoyed the first one a huge amount, like it's not even a top 20 for me.
I look forward to buying one of your copies at a discount after you finish it in a week :)

Back
Top Bottom