Horizon: Zero Dawn [PS4]

Caporegime
Looks like Eurogamer is the only negative review so far.

89 on metacritic

It wasn't a negative review, but they didn't give it a 'recommended' or 'Essential' accolade.

This is far, far from a bad game - it's enjoyable in its own way, and you're certainly never short of things to do. There are zip-lines to chase down, towers to climb, dialogue trees to wander through, items to craft and a tech tree to explore; it's an exhaustive checklist of every trope of the modern day open world game where every component is at the very least competent. The core combat and aesthetic of Horizon Zero Dawn have been placed in fine focus; the rest, though, is something of an indistinguishable blur.

Horizon Zero Dawn is a work of considerable finesse and technical bravado, but it falls into the trap of past Guerrilla games in being all too forgettable. For all its skin-deep dynamism it lacks spark; somewhat like the robotic dinosaurs that stalk its arrestingly beautiful open world, this is a mimic that's all dazzle, steel and neon yet can feel like it's operating without a heart of its own.

Caporegime
did I hear this right...Horizon will only run at 30fps on PS4 Pro even at 1080p?

That's a deal breaker right there if I've heard that right.

Why?

It's a single player 3rd person game, it's not like it drops to like a slideshow. Review says it does a SOLID 30fps. I never found it to be a problem and never be something that stops me getting a game.

Perhaps I am not spoilt with 100fps PC gaming....I dunno.

Soldato
Why?

It's a single player 3rd person game, it's not like it drops to like a slideshow. Review says it does a SOLID 30fps. I never found it to be a problem and never be something that stops me getting a game.

Perhaps I am not spoilt with 100fps PC gaming....I dunno.

This, I've never even worried about it.

It's been tested and its very smooth anyway.

Soldato
I cannot wait for this.

New IP that looks amazing and is a strong single player story.

Been a while since I bothered to pre order a game but this has been on my radar a long time.

Mass Effect will need to wait!

Soldato
OP
Was watching digital foundry earlier and they said there was a launch patch for better frame rate option?

Yeah it's mentioned on Neogaf.

"Horizon Zero dawn will receive a small day zero patch that will build upon PlayStation 4 Pro support, adding a Performance mode which will favor SMOOTHER FRAMERATES while delivering higher visual fidelity in the 1080p mode. This mode is available for both 4K and 1080p displays."

Soldato
I don't think I ever agree with Eurogamer so this will be one to pick up.

Yep.

Nor do I understand why people so willing defer to one random person's opinion of a game. I cannot imagine on what planet I'd let <insert generic game site> tell me if I should or shouldn't like a game based on one person's opinion.

Either way, game looks awesome and preorder in.

Soldato
Yeah it's mentioned on Neogaf.

"Horizon Zero dawn will receive a small day zero patch that will build upon PlayStation 4 Pro support, adding a Performance mode which will favor SMOOTHER FRAMERATES while delivering higher visual fidelity in the 1080p mode. This mode is available for both 4K and 1080p displays."

Interested in this mode! Hopefully it's a solid 60fps at 1080p. I was always under the impression that this game had a lot of pro support.

Soldato
I almost pushed the button on ffxv a couple of days ago.. watched a few vids of this yesterday and now I'm glad I didn't !

This looks brilliant. Gorilla games have delivered !

Permabanned
Yep.

Nor do I understand why people so willing defer to one random person's opinion of a game. I cannot imagine on what planet I'd let <insert generic game site> tell me if I should or shouldn't like a game based on one person's opinion.

Either way, game looks awesome and preorder in.

For me, it's about finding a reviewer/critic who's opinions best line up with my own so I can make that more informed decision on whether or not the games for me. It's usually Jim Sterling, though I'll refer to Andy Kelly whenever I can.

Of course, gaming is the ULTIMATE subjective medium, but it all helps in making a decision. 50 quids a lot of money!

Back
Top Bottom