Horizon: Zero Dawn [PS4]

Associate
I too only got about 10 hours in and then gave up. I always felt like I was struggling to be strong enough/right level for the missions. I was not really doing any side missions, just focussing on the main quest.
It is in my pile of games to go back to. As I came to the PS4 ecosystem quite late, I have had no shortage of games to keep my PS4 pro employed. The back catalogue of classics is rather good.

Soldato
I too only got about 10 hours in and then gave up. I always felt like I was struggling to be strong enough/right level for the missions. I was not really doing any side missions, just focussing on the main quest.
It is in my pile of games to go back to. As I came to the PS4 ecosystem quite late, I have had no shortage of games to keep my PS4 pro employed. The back catalogue of classics is rather good.
Focus on getting the shield weaver armour early doors and you'll blitz past everything.

Its not given to you via main quests as it's secret armour so you need to find it yourself

Soldato
As I said, I have been meaning to do that for a while on mine but not got round to it. Apparently when done with some decent thermal compound and the rest of the system cleaned it does make a huge difference.

Yeah, I will also be getting a PS5, looking forward to it and from the rumblings on gaming and tech sites over the last month Horizon Zero Dawn could be a contender for a launch title.

Soldato
Focus on getting the shield weaver armour early doors and you'll blitz past everything.

Its not given to you via main quests as it's secret armour so you need to find it yourself

It does make things a lot easier....but tbh the main thing is using the right tools for the job. Find the weaknesses, set up traps, take out the biggest threats first.

I really need to finish the DLC before TLOU comes out..

Soldato
It does make things a lot easier....but tbh the main thing is using the right tools for the job. Find the weaknesses, set up traps, take out the biggest threats first.

I really need to finish the DLC before TLOU comes out..
I love the game it's 10/10 but the dlc was a disappointment it was still good but it sticks out so much that it was obviously cut from the game to sell later

Soldato
I love the game it's 10/10 but the dlc was a disappointment it was still good but it sticks out so much that it was obviously cut from the game to sell later
I just got bored in the DLC and stopped after a few hours. Weird because I just couldn't get enough of the main game, it ruined my sleep pattern for a few weeks.

Soldato
I just got bored in the DLC and stopped after a few hours. Weird because I just couldn't get enough of the main game, it ruined my sleep pattern for a few weeks.
It took me many months to finish it off unlike main game, I didn't get all the trophies for the DLC either as it just didn't click for me like main game, Shame really but I still have faith sequel will be as good as main game if not better

Soldato

It's not a game I would recommend that you just follow the main story on without levelling up. Using the right tactics and focusing on weaknesses really helps though. But there is a wealth of story to explore off the beaten track and before you know it you will have levelled up and wont be struggling.

Contrary to what others have said I wouldnt bother with the shield weaver armour. It just makes the game easy mode unless you are playing on hardest difficulty and sucks the challenge out of encounters. I would perhaps keep it in reserve for the DLC though.

Early on get yourself a war bow, sharpshooter now and a shadow carja sling. Invest in the skill tree to reduce the cost of creating ammo and kill as much wildlife as you can to help upgrade your carrying capacities - focus on bones and skins. Fox, Turkey, raccoon, boar and fish.

Finally make sure you utilise the weapon modifications to increase their power. Use the skill tree to unlock Tinker too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I stripped my console down yesterday and replaced the thermal compound and cleaned out the CPU heat sink and the rest of the console. I haven’t played HZD as I have pretty much done everything in the game but i have been playing Days Gone which was getting the console sounding like a Aeroplane and some frame drops. The deep clean and thermal compound replacement has mad a massive difference. Even with the big hoardes I can barely hear the console kicking up. Hopefully this will keep my console going and in good shape until the PS5 and some good games are available.

The job it’s self was not too bad. Getting the base cover off was probably the hardest part. There are a couple of great guides and videos online but just be a little aware with some of the various models and have a magnetic bowl or pad to keep everything tidy and take a few photos along the way to refer back to.

Happy and I will report back if I have any issues emerge.

V F

V F

Soldato
Well I stripped my console down yesterday and replaced the thermal compound and cleaned out the CPU heat sink and the rest of the console. I haven’t played HZD as I have pretty much done everything in the game but i have been playing Days Gone which was getting the console sounding like a Aeroplane and some frame drops. The deep clean and thermal compound replacement has mad a massive difference. Even with the big hoardes I can barely hear the console kicking up. Hopefully this will keep my console going and in good shape until the PS5 and some good games are available.

The job it’s self was not too bad. Getting the base cover off was probably the hardest part. There are a couple of great guides and videos online but just be a little aware with some of the various models and have a magnetic bowl or pad to keep everything tidy and take a few photos along the way to refer back to.

Happy and I will report back if I have any issues emerge.

Was the old thermal paste dried up? White hard/powdery?

Soldato
It was grey and pretty dried out and uneven. I think the heat sink was a big factor. From looking at it, it appears as if dust can build up on the front of that and impedes airflow. It doesn’t look as if there is any direct way to clean that out even with compressed air without dismantling the console.

Soldato
I bought this cheap to check out the HDR on my new CX and goodness me what a difference - the game looks incredible even on my base PS4. I can't wait to see what the PS5 is going to bring.

Associate
Bought this when I get my OLED a few years ago - one of the best games i've ever played. I explored right from the get go and had a load of fun trying to down a Thunderjaw at the lowest level. Took me ages though! Platted it in no time flat. HZD2 is probably peaking my excitement even ahead of GOW2.

V F

V F

Soldato
Bought this when I get my OLED a few years ago - one of the best games i've ever played. I explored right from the get go and had a load of fun trying to down a Thunderjaw at the lowest level. Took me ages though! Platted it in no time flat. HZD2 is probably peaking my excitement even ahead of GOW2.

I haven't touched the game in a long time but I remember checking it out one time when I got OLED for 20 minutes. I was out at night in the desert part where the arena was. My god was the game so twinkly with all the lights in the dark fighting some of the robots and hiding from some of them while watching the rockbreakers spectacularly glow.

Associate
I haven't touched the game in a long time but I remember checking it out one time when I got OLED for 20 minutes. I was out at night in the desert part where the arena was. My god was the game so twinkly with all the lights in the dark fighting some of the robots and hiding from some of them while watching the rockbreakers spectacularly glow.

It was the only reason I held off on buying it, got a LG B7 in 2017 and it was the first thing I purchased afterwards. Wasn't disappointed either. I've yet to play RDR2 (mixed reviews, not got the patience for the simulation involved) but between Horizon, GOW and Uncharted 4/LL, the graphics are probably the best i've seen in a video game, HDR does make a difference, and it's exciting to think what the PS5 will be capable of.

Back
Top Bottom