Horizon: Zero Dawn [PS4]

Soldato
You get a spear upgrade later in the game as part of the main story. Focus on obtaining ALL the purple bows though over time. They all give you access to different arrow/bomb types. Personally I never used the rope or tripcaster in all my 3x re-plays of the game unless a Hunters quest called for it. I was strictly bombs/arrows/traps mostly all the way through.

Grab the bow that grants you Fire arrows asap (godsend vs glinthawks), and the bow that gives you access to ice/corruption/shock arrows (forgotten the name).

Must confess I didn't think much of the first Cauldron. The other ones were a lot better.

Thanks, will do:) The bow I have has fire arrows (Carja War Bow). Yeah, I haven't used the tripcaster much so far but it's nice to have for some variety. However, I'll probably be playing like you, so bow/sling/traps mainly.

Soldato
You'll be changing your loadout depending on the situation. Also you'll want to try different tactics sometimes. :)

The only thing I haven't bothered with is the rattler. It's just not my style.

Trip caster is great. I tend to lay a bunch of traps in front of my position or in doorways/entrances in case it all goes wrong. Having the skill to recover unused ones is handy. They are also my go to tactic for Stalkers.

Soldato
Got all the collectables for the merchants in Meridian last night as well as vantages. Bit disappointed with the loot they give though!

Now that is cracked, I have started back in on the main story after 53hrs of play! :D

Just finished the mission with the 2nd Deathbringer up at Grave-Hoard and just about to go through the crevice to the back of the Eclipse main base. No idea how much story is left now though. :)

Soldato
I really hate Behemoths. Struggling to find an effective tactic apart from cheesing them.

I'm back into the main story now, I'm really enjoying it. About to do Grave Hoard. :D

Soldato
Even bloody stalkers can one-shot me on very hard:p

Stalkers are really powerful. I make it my priority to tear their gun off, but even then they have a real nasty tail swipe if you goe to to toe with them.

I really hate Behemoths. Struggling to find an effective tactic apart from cheesing them.

I'm back into the main story now, I'm really enjoying it. About to do Grave Hoard. :D

Ropecaster to tie them down. They have a power cell weak spot on the back of their heads (use shock arrow - even better if you have 3 arrow at a time perk). Oh and try your best to keep to a medium distance. Also - if you have blast traps, lure them into charging through them.

Soldato
Can't believe people don't use the Ropecaster!

Would love to know how you override a Stormbird without it :p

Override would be impossible but I defeated my first one without RopeCaster. Tearblasted/precision the hell out of it until it came to the ground, Loads of Freeze bombs, spamming hardpoint arrows and melee on the ground. It took about 8 minutes or so and used almost all of my health. With RopeCaster I can kill one in about 30 seconds. :o

Re: Stalkers - I never engage directly. I set a load of traps in the same place, tearblast them to remove stealth and let them run into my traps. Blast sling finishes them off if they survive.

Another good tip in some places is to lay a load of traps by one of their mines, then set it off and go hide quickly. They'll come running blindly into your traps with any luck. :D

Ta for the tip, BuffetSlayer :)

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Another good tip in some places is to lay a load of traps by one of their mines, then set it off and go hide quickly. They'll come running blindly into your traps with any luck. :D

Ta for the tip, BuffetSlayer :)

I always hated that sound. I did love the corrupted zone for them. Felt like the scene from Predator.

Nasty things those Behemoths and the Tramplers. Those Behemoths though, they're like nasty Rockbreakers that can charge you so quickly. The spray from the rocks is insane.

Though the Tramplers can be nasty when the ground explodes in a straight line.

Soldato
Yeah I don't like engaging tramplers but ice and triple notched arrows to the core work well.

I had to point out to my mate that you can triple notch arrows then select another weapon (say your status one), go back to the original weapon and your arrows are still ready so you can quickly get massive damage in.

I wish I'd known a load of the mechanics I've found when I started. I suppose finding them is part of the fun but the game doesn't do a great job of explaining some of them. :)

Fire bombs are my favourite thing vs humans now!

Last edited:
Soldato
Stalkers are really powerful. I make it my priority to tear their gun off, but even then they have a real nasty tail swipe if you goe to to toe with them.

Yeah, and that camouflage they use is a pain in the arse:p Also, they're pretty damn fast, I occasionally go for a light hit with the spear after getting an arrow in if I'm close enough but after that it's roll like hell!

One shot from the gun halves my HP and it's very hard to evade by just sprinting in circles like some attacks can be, I have to roll around.

V F

V F

Soldato
Yeah I don't like engaging tramplers but ice and triple notched arrows to the core work well.

I had to point out to my mate that you can triple notch arrows then select another weapon (say your status one), go back to the original weapon and your arrows are still ready so you can quickly get massive damage in.

I wish I'd known a load of the mechanics I've found when I started. I suppose finding them is part of the fun but the game doesn't do a great job of explaining some of them. :)

Fire bombs are my favourite thing vs humans now!

I love taking out the processing unit on the Tramplers. A giant wave of fire. Though it becomes a bit panicky with 5 - 6 Tramplers all around me.

Soldato
Hmm I've found that I was wasting a fair bit of time on Thunderjaws before. Now I don't bother exposing the heart. Just knock off one disc launcher, stay hidden, go set a tonne of explosive traps and lure, freeze, get the disc launcher and spam the Nexus on his head. Very quick kill.

It's easy to get cocky though, almost got owned by a Ravager when I unintentionally ended up in CQC after clearing a corrupted zone. They are really tough if you haven't prepared. Should have used ropecaster but was spazzing out and didn't think to quickly change my loadout! :o Changing loadout mid-combat feels a bit cheap, anyhow. :p

Really need to finish the story, I've got all the collectibles now!

EDIT: Seen this, but so expensive!

https://animegami.co.uk/shop/horizo...tatue-38-cm/?gclid=COjcyb_W8dMCFcSVGwodhigEpg

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Shame its not Redmaw. However, thats quite cheap for a statue like that. Most usually range from 500 to 800 dependant on what it is and the licensing.

Soldato
Making more progress now, been to Sunfall and done main/side quests there. ;)

This game gets really intense at times - I don't generally like intense gaming experiences but this is really worth it!

Got all Blazing Suns at Spurflints. Jesus the Stalker trial is crazy - definitely recommend enhanced sparkworker armour and maxing out shock on shock bombs! :D Actually I didn't realize just how effective shock bombs are on Stalkers until I did that trial!

Now for Cauldron Zeta...

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
What do they make those statues out of? Is it that polystone stuff?

Most, yeah. Some use a mix of others dependant on the moulds.

Making more progress now, been to Sunfall and done main/side quests there. ;)

This game gets really intense at times - I don't generally like intense gaming experiences but this is really worth it!

That was like a clip from a movie. Personally I thought it was the best part of the game.

Soldato
That was like a clip from a movie. Personally I thought it was the best part of the game.

Yeah one thing I think this game does really well is creating very memorable moments. The first "boss" :eek:, the Sawtooth :eek:, stealth killing your first strider :D, seeing your first Tallneck :o, entering a cauldron :eek: - I could go on for ages!

As much as I loved Witcher 3, this game has cemented so many more amazing experiences into my head that I doubt I'll forget anytime soon. :D

I've taken so many pictures in Photo mode - it's absolutely beautiful and helps to keep little mementos of those amazing moments. A few friends are playing this at the moment as well and we're constantly discussing it on our Whatsapp group! :D

Back
Top Bottom