Horizon: Zero Dawn [PS4]

Soldato
I'm looking forward to them opening up the map to the DLC...

It looks like there are a few potential areas that are earmarked for DLC. I've skirted around the extremes of the map only to find an invisible wall or the "you are leaving game area" where there is a pathway and no clear obstruction. So frustrating trying to get to places and being denied! :D

Soldato
I'd thought about this tactic but didn't realize it'd be so effective.... Basically doubling up on your weapons (2xstatus and 2xdamage) and pre-triple-notching arrows before attacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7jeOc04gg0

Dear lord!

Yeah I do this after I saw the 11 second vid.

Im still not anywhere near as fast as that bit I do a lot better now.

I have 2 fully specced sharpshot bows too. One with tear mods and one with piercing damage mods.

Soldato
I think the thunderjaw vs ravager trial is bugged. Four times I killed the ravagers with the disc launchers and it kept failing me. RAGE!!! :mad:

Overriding the thunderjaw and tying down the ravagers, weakening them and letting thunderjaw finish them off worked???

Sun Furrows is the only part of the game that has really annoyed me.

Soldato
I haven't got the weaver and hardly lost any health in my successful runs there. It's not needed really.

The last two trials stressed me out getting blazing suns. I hope they avoid these trial things in any upcoming DLC or sequel.

Haha at the part where you see the thunderjaw and you're like, "nope!" :D

As I said, I did the same as you on the third trial four times and it just wasn't completing. So annoying!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
I cannot for the life of me get into this game. I've had it since release and was really hyped for it. I've just tipped over to lvl 19 and I just find the game dull and a bore to play.

The dialogue is so monotonously boring that I never flesh out any conversations. The facial animation is jarring and feel like I've seen better in previous generations. I don't particularly find the robots that interesting. I've had to change so many settings in the game for it to be playable to me. The audio mix is totally off...why put external dialogue on the centre channel when you're free roaming...how am I supposed to locate where the voice of "OVER HERE, HELP!" is?

The controls stick movement is all off, the HUD is annoying, the contextual position the camera stays in is stupid and the the way the camera gets tighter to the character depending on where she is ridiculous. Oh, guys, here's this new town for you to explore but we're not going to let you see any of it because we're going to lock the camera really tight to the character so it's really hard to navigate and see...

I think mainly the dialogue is the worst thing about it and it's really hard to overcome. It's pants.

I feel like I've been spoiled by the Witchers adult themes, execution and animation.

Soldato
I found the HUD annoying too so turned the nav HUD off and left the rest dynamic. If you disable it, you can always bring it back briefly by tapping the touchpad. Much more immersive.

I find camera setting in settlements annoying too, and it's irritating that you can't use camera mode. The lack of an OTS position toggle is a shame. I play with 5.1 surround in my living room and don't think the audio positioning is too bad in all honesty but I definitely have seen that strange voice mix issue on the odd occasion.

Apart from those things I've found the game to be fantastic and think that the combat is well executed. I haven't had an issue with the controls although a quick look/turn or look behind feature would have been nice? :confused:

I put over 188 hours into Witcher 3 and think this is easily just as enjoyable. The writing isn't quite up to the level of TW3 but it's still an interesting story IMO. I thought combat was one thing that let TW3 down, actually. I've had my fill of medieval style fantasy for a while so this game has been a real tonic.

Soldato
To me the controls by default have a y-axis that is too fast compared to the x-axis. I prefer a linear analog stick and x and y being the same. I had to town down the y-axis so that it felt better.

I would love to be able to space the hud further out to the edges of the screen. I think I turned off the waypoint system as I found it dumb and took me strange ways to get to the quest givers.

Soldato
Actually that is a good point re the Y axis and might explain some of my spazzing with the camera under pressure. I'm going to try tweaking that, thanks!

Soldato
I cannot for the life of me get into this game. I've had it since release and was really hyped for it. I've just tipped over to lvl 19 and I just find the game dull and a bore to play.

The dialogue is so monotonously boring that I never flesh out any conversations. The facial animation is jarring and feel like I've seen better in previous generations. I don't particularly find the robots that interesting. I've had to change so many settings in the game for it to be playable to me. The audio mix is totally off...why put external dialogue on the centre channel when you're free roaming...how am I supposed to locate where the voice of "OVER HERE, HELP!" is?

The controls stick movement is all off, the HUD is annoying, the contextual position the camera stays in is stupid and the the way the camera gets tighter to the character depending on where she is ridiculous. Oh, guys, here's this new town for you to explore but we're not going to let you see any of it because we're going to lock the camera really tight to the character so it's really hard to navigate and see...

I think mainly the dialogue is the worst thing about it and it's really hard to overcome. It's pants.

I feel like I've been spoiled by the Witchers adult themes, execution and animation.

I totally agree about the camera and some of your points but at the same time can't get what spoiled you so much in the Witcher 3 that makes you so bored of this when its every element was average apart from a buch of dialogues.

The combat was bad, the main story padded and shallow and the animations and collision detection atrocious... and the RPG elements were way off. It's like people really don't want anything to ever be better than Witcher:p
I completed it and have no problems playing other games. In fact, Zelda leaves it in the dust as a game and I'm even enjoying Horizon slightly more because of the combat and the setting.

Is it just adult themes? Because I can't remember too many that I haven't seen in other games? I don't really get it, a game with just as repetitive gameplay (and shallow) as everything else, dialogues that aren't always interesting (because it's not like every conversation was really meaningful, most were just there for the hell of it) and many serious flaws suddenly becomes the holy grail to measure other games against... Even the characters weren't that great. There were maybe three with a bit more depth, the rest was pretty much a collection of fantasy tropes: an annoying bard, an ironic dwarf and a sassy sorceress...

It has its merits and some great sidequests and I enjoyed it overall but I don't see why Horizon should be treated as its inferior sibling because of dialogues when its focus lies elsewhere and it's a different game. It's not perfect, I agree but I'm quite glad it's not another "mature" medieval dialogue simulator with the same setting over and over again.

About facial animations, Witcher's are pretty average as well and I did in fact seen better in previous generation. It's called L.A Noire:D While Horizon is rather weak in this regard, it has better looking faces and Witcher's facial animations aren't really good enough to make a true difference to me. Also, considering you spend most time in both games running around, I'd wager Witcher 3's running animations from 1999 and clunky horse riding have way more impact:p

Both games are overhyped IMO but Witcher 3 got more undeserved attention. It might appeal to people who absolutely love typical fantasy but other than that I can't see why anyone wouldn't enjoy other games because of it.

Soldato
<snip>
I agree but I'm quite glad it's not another "mature" medieval dialogue simulator with the same setting over and over again.
<snip>
Both games are overhyped IMO but Witcher 3 got more undeserved attention. It might appeal to people who absolutely love typical fantasy but other than that I can't see why anyone wouldn't enjoy other games because of it.

When I first saw the advertising for this game I thought it looked stupid and didn't make any sense. Now, however, I'm glad I gave it a chance. I think Horizon is an amazing IP that still has loads more potential. I've enjoyed this just as much as TW3. :D :D

Yes, TW3 feels like you have far more investment in the story's characters IMO but Horizon's combat is far more engaging. Both have their merits and weaknesses.

I'm just glad I'm not too old to enjoy all this amazing stuff having seen gaming evolve from the Atari 2600 and Vectrex days to where we are now. ;)

Soldato
Yes, I absolutely have enjoyed both, just thinking TW3 has enough flaws to not consider it such an impeccable achievement, even story-wise.

And the whole thing with people saying they can't enjoy anything else after playing it or they have been spoiled by it is just ridiculous:p There are enough varied games of different genres with different qualities that I don't really get it. I've already found a couple which excel it as games, notably Zelda and Nier Automata and which are immensely enjoyable. There have been loads of titles with unique and great gameplay/story concepts over the years which were more focused, can't see why a typical medieval fantasy with many writing flaws should be regarded as the pinnacle of storytelling, especially that it's not even based on original material.

Horizon does enough things better to make it worth trying and I'm also glad I did.

V F

V F

Soldato
And the whole thing with people saying they can't enjoy anything else after playing it or they have been spoiled by it is just ridiculous:p There are enough varied games of different genres with different qualities that I don't really get it.

...but I didn't want it to end. :p

Soldato
That was about the Witcher 3:p Well, unless you didn't want it to end as well, I begged for it to end after 120 hours of running around and asking about Ciri:p

Soldato
Nope, I was talking about people who say they can't play anything else after Witcher 3, which I find ridiculous for the amount of flaws it has. There are a lot of different games like Horizon, Nier and Zelda which have different strengths and trump it in many regards.

I wouldn't even say it about TLoU or RDR,
there are always many games with interesting gameplay concepts or clever stories worth experiencing, especially that W3's story in itself isn't a particularly striking showcase of writing prowess and pacing. Good dialogues don't equal good writing.

EDIT: As Narj has already said, We've already had a fair share of medieval fantasy. It's really getting stale now and Witcher doesn't reinvent it in any way except some very good sidequests, dialogues and choices (some, not all).

Last edited:
Soldato
Damn I'm just about to start the final battle. Was going to do it last night but decided to leave it for another night as I don't want it to end. :(

Quite nice to have a wander around beforehand. I do like Petra's little toy and aiming for trees the other side! :D

Back
Top Bottom