Horizon Zero Dawn

Associate
I hadn't noticed any of those issues but you seem to be on steep hillsides for a fair few so I tried that and I was able to replicate the lod issue up on a snowy cliff. I am not that far into the game so I cannot see a way in to the grave hoard yet. Looks beautiful on the OLED though :)
Really? Wow... Like right away, they all do it, or is it just a few? Do you also have bad draw distance on the grass or any flashy shadows (usually by long reed grass, look at the floor and the shadows are flashing under them?)

Soldato
Just spent ages writing a message on here and got deleted... Damn forums. OK here we go again...

---
Texture pop less than one metre, and see though holes (Inc map to where most of these videos are, but this happens everywhere)...
https://streamable.com/ryexqm

Holes in textures on cliff Wall
https://streamable.com/d53ot4

Really bad tessellation
https://streamable.com/i46xxf

Texture pop on rocks, close range radial
https://streamable.com/nd51mr

---
This is from the campfire just south of devil's grief, Aloy facing east:
Flashy and glitchy shadows
https://streamable.com/y7fgnz

Texture pop on icicles? in the cave hoard, by banuk encampment
https://streamable.com/fyivjt

---

I've got many more vids, also same things happening in other games, but quality is really bad on upload site there and can't be arsed unless you guys wanna see. Or have my phone number lol.
I just checked you can only send pics on steam.
I replicated each of these. Gotta say this is real mountains out of molehill stuff, I thought there would be actual problems that affect enjoyment rather than some slightly buggy textures in an open world game.
To be honest I've only had fights with the little robots ! Should I learn to fight the big ones and then does the game become fun ? I may give it another blast
Here is a fight I recorded on my first playthrough, just a random encounter on the 2nd hardest difficulty but with end game gear.

Associate
I replicated each of these. Gotta say this is real mountains out of molehill stuff, I thought there would be actual problems that affect enjoyment rather than some slightly buggy textures in an open world game.

Here is a fight I recorded on my first playthrough, just a random encounter on the 2nd hardest difficulty but with end game gear.

Constant flashing of shadows, holes in textures and constantly having things being rendered 2m right in front of you is a molehill? Wow... I'm really so jealous of people like you... I'd buy a £200 gpu and have a hell of a time :D
Thanks for testing locations for me though, guess they must have messed up a recent patch or something.

Soldato
Constant flashing of shadows, holes in textures and constantly having things being rendered 2m right in front of you is a molehill? Wow... I'm really so jealous of people like you... I'd buy a £200 gpu and have a hell of a time :D
Thanks for testing locations for me though, guess they must have messed up a recent patch or something.

Must be hell nit picking everything in life.

Soldato
I did go to the wall in Devil's Grief and there were flickering textures like in the clip posted but these sort of things look like minor game rendering issues - I certainly do not see constant flashing of shadows while playing.

Caporegime

I watched your videos.

To be honest, it's hardly game breaking stuff. I didn't notice anything like this in my 100% playthrough, but then I don't think it's stuff I really

A) Notice

B) Would care about.

Other than the hole in the mountain I guess, but it really wouldn't ruin my day as I understand these are games.

Bear in mind I first played the game on PS4 Pro - Checkerboard rendered and locked to 30fps.

The PC version I played maxed out at 4K/60.

Associate
Must be hell nit picking everything in life.

Must be hell in life when nobody likes you.

I watched your videos.

To be honest, it's hardly game breaking stuff. I didn't notice anything like this in my 100% playthrough, but then I don't think it's stuff I really

A) Notice

B) Would care about.

Other than the hole in the mountain I guess, but it really wouldn't ruin my day as I understand these are games.

Bear in mind I first played the game on PS4 Pro - Checkerboard rendered and locked to 30fps.

The PC version I played maxed out at 4K/60.

Well yeah I didn't notice either until about 80+hrs of gameplay and the cpu/gpu upgrade, which is the odd thing. Even went back to some of the areas at start of game and notices issues in 2minutes flat. Saw another 3 holes in textures in about 10mins, something I'm sure I would have noticed. And the flashing shadows I find the most distracting, don't really care about the texture holes as yeah, not many games are perfect.

Tried on my mates ps5 and despite frame rates id say it looks better tbh... Slightly less sharp, but hardly any jaggies even on the grass. Madness with a £3000+ pc but at the end of the day is a console port. Can only assume they've patched it at the same time as upgrade and something went a bit wrong.
This is the same guy that came round to see how awesome the 3080ti is. He said if deffo looks bad but could just be because I pointed it out?

Tried on a brand new system now and issues persist. Issue fixed in some games, but not others (but those games could have been updated in the last few weeks I guess).
So I suspect maybe if it's not bad updates or drivers it's one of those things once you see you can't unsee it.

Associate
Just to be clear as well these are the other games... You guys can confirm this stuff really wouldn't bother you, you see it often (basically every game), and that is how we expect shadows/textures to be rendered nowadays?

Been gaming for like 30years and honestly can't think of why it's not bothered me before (even though I have amblyopia and so my one eye is quite sensitive to flashing):

Ffxv flashing shadows and textures:
https://streamable.com/mbe84n

Spellforce 3 flashing shadows:
https://streamable.com/4aan6h

Ffxv flashing/moving jaggies, bad AA
https://streamable.com/gg81ij

Comanche all trees have flashing shadows (confirmed via YouTube vids this isn't normal but not the best quality game compared to the rest):
https://streamable.com/53f9bm

It's also in (to a lesser degree in most of these) mk11, soul calibur 6, red dead 2, alien fireteam elite, horizon, Tomb raider....... pretty much every 3d game I've played recently.

Soldato
Just saw there is a smallish, 3,6GB, update to HZD and was curious to what it was so checked and saw it was some interesting things coming to the game so thought I post it here.

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC - Patch 1.11 is now available

Hi everyone!

We’re happy to announce we’ve just released Patch 1.11 for our PC players. Here’s what this patch contains:

Graphical Improvements

• Added Nvidia’s DLSS upscaling technology.
  • Added AMD’s FidelityFX Super Resolution, replacing FidelityFX CAS.
UI Changes
  • Adjusted settings screen to facilitate the addition of DLSS and FSR.
  • Render Scale option has been removed but same result can now be accomplished by adjusting setting Upscale Method to Simple and adjusting Upscale Quality.
Performance Improvements
  • Improvement to the shader management system. This will result in a few noticeable differences:
  • There is no longer a shader pre-compilation step on startup. The game will always compile shaders during loading and in the background.
  • Stutters during gameplay that used to occur due to background shader compilation have now been significantly reduced.
  • Because shader compilation is still happening in the background you may notice the game having a higher CPU utilization while that is happening.
  • Loading screens will wait for the required shaders to be fully compiled. This may cause loading screens to take somewhat longer on certain systems.
  • On higher spec machines with faster CPUs the loading screens will typically be shorter, due to more efficient shader compilation that better leverages high-end CPUs.
Please ensure your game is up-to-date before heading back out into the wilds, and reach out to us if you’re still experiencing any issues. We appreciate all of your wonderful support and feedback; we wish you a fun-filled festive period!

- Guerrilla

Not much of an update but with the added AMD and nVidia stuff I think, if it works as it should, there be some happy chaps around ! Hopefully the pre-compilation of shaders works as advertised since I do remember it was a bit of a pain waiting for them before being able to even get into the game earlier. I still have to compete the game but for now it's Skyrim so if anyone playing the game and wanting to post their experience with this update that would be appreciated ! :D

Soldato
I've been holding off on a few games whilst waiting for my new PC to arrive, this being one of them.

To be fair, it runs and looks great on my 1070 at a reduced rez, but will be nice to see it at full optimization.

Caporegime
I've been holding off on a few games whilst waiting for my new PC to arrive, this being one of them.

To be fair, it runs and looks great on my 1070 at a reduced rez, but will be nice to see it at full optimization.

Do you get shimmering on all the trees and stuff playing it a lower res? After seeing it on the PS4 Pro at faux 4K looking beautifully clean, it looks ghastly on my 1070 at 1080p.

Soldato
Can't wait to play this tonight, I'm in the middle of my 2nd playthrough on NG+ Ultra hard for the achievement and I still adore this game.

Only wish that the photo mode had a super sample mode as Aloy can get quite pixelated in some shots.

Soldato
Do you get shimmering on all the trees and stuff playing it a lower res? After seeing it on the PS4 Pro at faux 4K looking beautifully clean, it looks ghastly on my 1070 at 1080p.

I just loaded it up to double check!

Absolutely fine, looks perfect.

I run it at 3096 x 1296 UW with 80% in the resolution scaling* as this gives me 60FPS.

*This option has now gone with the update so I turned on the new option, simple upscaling at ultra quality and it still looks great.

Sometimes I wonder why I've bothered updating my system! :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom