• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How log till MSRP ?

Associate
I find it odd that so many are choosing now to upgrade their cards when it's literally the worse time ever to buy a GPU. It's hassle to find them, prices are sky high and the performance sucks for the price your paying with any AIB cards.

Basically unless you bought a 2080Ti the performance jump is quite large for the Nvidia/Amd next gen cards so people want to upgrade, even more so for 1060/70/80 etc owners like me. My 1060 was too slow to to run games on my 4k monitor so I had to drop to 1440, but now with my 6700xt every game runs in 4k. People are seeing the fps uplift even for 1080p gamers so want these cards but just bad timing really.

Soldato
Basically unless you bought a 2080Ti the performance jump is quite large for the Nvidia/Amd next gen cards so people want to upgrade, even more so for 1060/70/80 etc owners like me. My 1060 was too slow to to run games on my 4k monitor so I had to drop to 1440, but now with my 6700xt every game runs in 4k. People are seeing the fps uplift even for 1080p gamers so want these cards but just bad timing really.
You could have just brought a 2080 super 2 years ago for around the same price same performance though and got your monies worth with 2 years of use.

I don't think the 1060 was ever a 4K card even when it released.

Associate
You could have just brought a 2080 super 2 years ago for around the same price same performance though and got your monies worth with 2 years of use.

I sold my two year old Rtx 2080 Ventus (non super)for £25 more than I paid for it to fund my Rx 6800 xt Nitro+.

That was back in January when it was "only" £860 though, at £1100 plus there is no way I would have bitten.

Associate
Thats a pretty big statement, what information or basis do you have for this?

I do agree in general though with your post, I think the optimistic opinions of some that almost like a flick of a light switch and boom 1000's of graphics card in stock at RRP is just not going to happen.

I've been watching the GPU market closely since the start of the year. It's quite sad because I got lucky a few Fridays back with OCUKs forum members deal, yet it's almost like an addiction now as I've signed up to stock alerts and check various retailers and prices, I can't help myself.

The situation has got worse through the year, with May really being the peak, but in June things have improved.

But....... it's only a very gradual improvement, and actually over the last week I haven't seen any real progress.

Yep same here more different models of cards in stock but I expect they have only about 5 in stock of each one not like years ago of 50+ stock for each card, prices no change though, still sky high.
Well I was a market pro for over 15 years, I'm retired now but still watch the markets every working day and make predictions as it gets in the blood.
Take a look at Dow jones index, S&P 500, Nasdaq charts, you will notice all 3 are moving up parabolically, that can't be sustained, secondly we have a new commodities upcycle = inflation and fed reserve won't
be able to push the market back up this time, thirdly everyone and his cat is putting money in to make a fast buck like doctors, bricklayers, taxi drivers who should not be in the market at all, the pro traders have bought long ago and are watching the market turned into a Ponzi situation push towards the sky. Eventually there will be no one left to buy, then the whole thing falls just as fast as it went up, Fed to the rescue, Not this time, it will be like a mirror of what happened to Japan's Nikkei index at the start of 1990! Then about 2 or 3 years the housing bubble will go over, then the other bubbles too and all this will cause a US Dollar breakdown (also pound/euro etc). Everything's coming together in a perfect storm as far as I can see. The 3 major stock markets may fall early next year but I'm sticking to my prediction of this year, keep watching the daily headlines and see if all this becomes true.:)

Associate

I got my 1060 over 4 years ago then later on about a year before the next gen cards I got a 4k monitor, I liked the crisp detail of 4k mode. 2080 super I avoided because of the 8GB Vram. Being a 3D direct x programmer for over 20 years I wanted
something with at least 12GB or more memory as I tend to use a lot of Vram when programming a small game or level design for myself. When you pack lots of 4k (4096x4096) textures with normal maps and everything else into Vram it tends to fill up quite fast. So the going from 6GB to 8GB didn't really appeal for gaming or programming and it was close to next gen card release and I had a good idea these would have more Vram so software houses can use more 2k and 4k textures per level so I waited for the next gen and they did have more Vram than the standard 8GB.

Last edited:
Associate
Make your bets !

The date the first non FE card comes in at MSRP + cooling solution at the **correct price.

** we know how much materials and production cost plus a fair profit in a normal world

-- Winner will get the satisfaction of knowing they were correct --

Not likely to happen until at least 3 years from now.
They need to build more fabrication plants to meet the huge demand, this will keep GPU's at high prices for the next few years.
Plus I'm predicting the stock and housing bubbles will burst during this time so we may not ever get close to MSRP for a non FE card.

Associate
Not likely with this generation, simce most retailers also jumped on the scalping bandwagon. As cards become more readily available, they need to sit on the shelves for a while and then slowly after some time they’ll start dropping small amounts off bit by bit, advertising it as a huge sale/bargain. Then after 6/12 months of that we’ll start seeing msrp again maybe

ljt

ljt

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57632831

Dunno if this is going to help reduce miners and help bring card prices down but its something i guess?

Limited I would have thought, as it mentions you can still buy and sell crypto on the service from within the UK.

Until regulators across the globe stop you selling crypto for real fiat currency like £/$ etc then mining will continue.

Associate
FE cards are already MSRP.
You won't see literally MSRP for non-founders cards as the prices from AIB's are high enough out of the factory that they can't be priced at MSRP, not unless Nvidia charges less for the GPU's.

That said, I assume we will see much of the extra "fat" built into the current prices begin to shed around Q4. We you will likely not see any MSRP AIB cards in circulation until just before the next round of GPU's are about to launch, and the retailers are trying to dump old stock (probably of LHR cards).

Back
Top Bottom