How many Focus ST owners on here

Soldato
So I went to see an ST today. It was 5 door on a 60 plate, a blue st-3! It had done 15.000 miles and was £15k!

It was lovely inside and out....I was so tempted :o

The only thing putting me off is that the new one is due out soon.

Soldato
So I went to see an ST today. It was 5 door on a 60 plate, a blue st-3! It had done 15.000 miles and was £15k!

It was lovely inside and out....I was so tempted :o

The only thing putting me off is that the new one is due out soon.

It's overpriced at £15k, you can get an older facelift model for closer to £10k now.

Soldato
That's true however in my head if a car is newer with less miles than generally it's better than the same car slightly older with more miles.....If you get me :o?

Soldato
I'd really like one of these, its my favorite hot hatch by far and its a realistic buy. Never heard anyone say a bad word about them, apart from the fuel economy.

I know nobody buys a hot hatch with mpg in mind, but I'm told its pretty poor.

I'm spending £200 a month on fuel at the moment averaging 38mpg, my commute is almost all country roads, dual carriage way and motorway, if these get about 28 that bill would go up to just under £300, which is a little eye watering.

On the other hand, its just £25 a week extra to drive something fun....interesting.

I'm half tempted to say stuff it and have fun for a year or two, got the rest of my life to be sensible.

Soldato
OP
I'd really like one of these, its my favorite hot hatch by far and its a realistic buy. Never heard anyone say a bad word about them, apart from the fuel economy.

I'm spending £200 a month on fuel at the moment averaging 38mpg, my commute is almost all country roads, dual carriage way and motorway, if these get about 28 that bill would go up to just under £300, which is a little eye watering.

On the other hand, its just £25 a week extra to drive something fun....interesting.

I'm half tempted to say stuff it and have fun for a year or two, got the rest of my life to be sensible.

Buying one with the intention of driving to eek that little extra bit of fuel out is great in principal, in reality, you get in and hit the loud pedal at every given oppurtunity!

Soldato

You will not get anywhere near 28 if your commute is on the roads you say. Try 23-24, that noisy pedal is far too addictive. The only time i ever manage economy like that is when I sit at 60mph off boost for the entire journey, which is just impossible!

Soldato
to be fair, I got up to 30 but only when emptying the tank on a 300 mile run up the M72, M3, A34, M40 and M6!

Round town its low 20s.

But a hell of a lot of fun with it :)

I switched from my ST costing me about £120 a month to a beemer costing about £340 a month, not sure if I'm saving that much going from 25mpg to 50mpg, the only thing that really annoyed me about the ST though was th small tank meaning I was in a petrol station every other day!

Soldato
I always figured with them being limited run the RS would be expected to be lower mileage.

Whilst they're capable of it you wouldn't expect one to be a daily commute thing, I do about 25k a year btw.

Permabanned
On average I say I get 27mpg. Never seen it drop below 25mpg except when I went for a drive round the countryside. My commute it 5miles of town driving, stop start at lights and roundabouts etc.

Best I have ever seen was 32mpg and that was dual carriageway driving, being very sensible.

Permabanned
If you were spending that money I'v save another £3K as RS's are getting down to £18-19K now

Personal opinion here, but I'd go for ST over RS. Don't like the look of the RS, did at first but now it's too in your face, too much plastic parts etc.

The ST (in the right colour, avoid orange) is still a refined hot hatch, and won't draw the attention of the wrong crowd like an RS would.

Also with a simple re-map. intercooler and K&N panel filter, you will outrun an RS in your ST, all for less than £1k.

Back
Top Bottom