How much has your council tax gone up this year?

Soldato
Fortnightly for the recycling bin, once every three weeks for the general waste bin. We don't fill them up but some of the neighbours...
Just seem to be paying more and more tax for less services. Country is wrecked.
Once every 3 weeks for the bin?!

PS. The Birmingham rises are crazy.

Caporegime
My bin is usually full at the end of the week.

I guess you already have seperate food waste bin?

Just moved to a 6 bin system from 4.

Used to be
General - 2 weeks
Recycling - 1 week
Garden - 2 weeks
Food - 1 week

Soon it will be
General - 3 weeks
Cardboard - 1 week
Glass - 1 week
Plastic/tin - 1 week
Garden - 2 weeks
Food - 1 week

3 weeks is fine for us as it's just 2 of us.

There's been loads of moaning about the new bin system "I'm just gonna put all of it in black bin". Because they hate change

Last edited:

taB

taB

Associate

We have a small sack of general rubbish each week to be collected. No bin, just the sack so have to put out early or the wildlife gets it. Food waste goes in green bin and is collected fortnightly. We have 2 of those as garden is decent size (2nd one paid extra for). Recycling Inc glass is also fortnightly on the other weeks.

Soldato

We have a small 5l food waste bin that is collected weekly. We can just about drag the general waste bin out to 3 weeks, some of the neighbours just fill theirs immediately after they are emptied. Lots of fly tipping going on though.

Soldato
Funding from central government has fallen by 65% over the past 15 years. Even with all of the tax rises, council spending has fallen by 30% in real terms. Most councils are struggling to meet even their basic statutory duties, even with the rises in council tax.

The chaos you see is a direct result of Conservative policy.
Govt have cut funding as a result CT affects the worse off proportionately more and the well off are even better off than ever. Don't expect anything to change under Starmer anytime soon if ever.

Soldato
There's been loads of moaning about the new bin system "I'm just gonna put all of it in black bin". Because they hate change

Or because they're paying more for less services and more work for themselves?

What happens when the council decide they want separate recycling bins for ferrous metals, copper, aluminium, the 4-5 different types of recyclable plastic, different coloured glass, separate food bins for vegetable waste vs anything containing meat, etc.

How many bins is a reasonable amount? 10? 20?

We have 2 (well, 2.5) bins. Normal waste, recycling, and a caddy in the top of the recycling for cardboard. Seems pretty reasonable. I could get on board with splitting the recycling bin in sections for metal/glass/plastic, but we don't have space for any additional bins

Last edited:
Soldato
Which pensions?

Most government jobs, especially local ones haven't had a "gold plated pension" open to new employees for at least 20-30 years, and back when it was the "norm" in the 50's-70's (a lot really cut back during the 80's), it was basically seen as a trade off, y0u potentially got a significantly lower wage working for the local council, but if you stuck with it your pension was linked to your final salary and you got the chance to retire a few years earlier*.
A lot of the larger "professional" private companies had similar "gold plated" pensions back then (although I've seen that term used for everything from great pensions, to ones that were absolutely common when people joined them 40 years ago), it's wasn't some extra special perk exclusive to the council.

*Again something that wasn't too unusual in some private industries, IIRC a neighbour who worked at a big company had the option to retire in his 50's as he'd been working with the company since the late 70's.
My stepfather has an extremely generous pension and he only worked for teh local authority under various roles he's in his 90's now so its been paid out for almost 30 years, longer than many peoples working lives.

We have a small 5l food waste bin that is collected weekly. We can just about drag the general waste bin out to 3 weeks, some of the neighbours just fill theirs immediately after they are emptied. Lots of fly tipping going on though.
This is the one time where flats actually are at an advantage as everything is in large dumpsters and those are handled by the refuse collectors we just have to shove the black bags and recycling in teh bins and forget about it. its also separate from the rest of the building so even if there are flies its well away from teh residents. Fly tipping is definitely an issue though theres a pile of old furniture and mattresses sitting next to the bin area on the building opposite its rife and we get charged for it

Last edited:
Associate
Should move to a more civilized country where bins are collected weekly. Mind you, only the one bin here in the country. Recycling and garden waste is on us to dispose of. Food waste goes in general waste bin/compost heap.

Back
Top Bottom