How to cope?

Soldato
Right, bit of a semi-long read but bear with me.

Around a year and a bit ago I managed to land my dream job, at the mid point of my career and couldn't have been happier. it was a great move into something I wanted and will never get the chance to do again, it's only a five year job role.

Just before I started there was a change in management, the guy who interviewed me left and a new guy took over his role. No worries there as he seemed a nice bloke when I met him on my first day.

Around six months into a HUGE learning curve I get given my first job on my own. Was a relatively difficult bit of fault diagnosis into a system that I have never worked on before, and had already spent a couple of days trying to diagnose. I decide to ask my colleague what he thinks, as he's been there over 20 years. He's the only other person with any in-depth knowledge of the system in question.

So we're sat discussing system details etc, possible faults and the boss walks in, see's us talking and asks why it isnt fixed yet. I explain because I'm having to get advice on the fault. He starts saying how I'm taking the **** and just need to fix it. So off I go and try to do my best.

A day later my line manager says he needs a chat, calls me into the office to ask whats going on with me. I'm a bit puzzled as I thought I was doing relatively well at this point. Get told that he's been told by the boss I'm lazy and I'd rather spend time chatting to X instead of fixing the fault, citing the exact time I was trying to find the fault with X as 'chatting' instead of working. This made me fairly miserable for months.

This hit me fairly hard, I'm not lazy and I've worked my arse off to get this job in the first place. While in it I'm regularly the only person in my trade available with one subordinate compared to all of my previous roles where theres been around 5 trade supervisors and 7-10 subordinates.

Over the last 12 months or so I've had to put up with almost daily remarks about how we do no work, we can't fix faults, if something goes wrong its down to us etc. from other trades and the management in question. Majority of it I can shrug off but it wears you down as you can imagine.

Jump forwards to the last month. Again a complex fault, used all my knowledge available for the system, worked as much as I could with the other trade to try and fix it all while knowing my other work was building up behind me, still no success. They managed to fix it out of hours by changing something we had tested 3-5 times and had passed test every time, with different people testing it.

Obviously boss jumps on this and its all my fault, I've wasted 3 weeks of other people time because I 'didn't do my job properly' I literally did exactly what I was expected to and that the lads with experience would have done.

So that leads us to this week. I'm already down from the ****taking on the shop floor over the last month from previous fault, and another one crops up, reasonably simple but a job i've never done before. I get asked how long its going to take, I reply with 'I'm not sure, its takes as long as it takes'

Next thing I know I'm in the office having to explain why I'm being 'purposefully obstructive' to the maintenance manager, and accused of slowing things down on purpose, none of which is even remotely true. I explain myself as to what I meant and thought that was the end of it. Next day my line manager is called into same office and is told that he needs to 'sort my attitude out' and 'I'm an unworkable idiot'.

So here's the conundrum. All of this abuse is coming from one person in particular. There's no HR action that can be taken as he just bats it off, worse has been raised against him and been dismissed.

But ultimately, for the last 3 weeks I've been dreading going into work at my dream job because of one particular manager and the toxic work environment. I'll never get to do this job again in my life and I love it but sitting up until 2am every night dreading the abuse I'm going to get at 8am isnt easy and its affecting my health now.

To clarify I'm not in a position where I can walk out, I've got 12 months to serve submitting my notice.

So, WTF do I do? As much as I'd like to punching someone in the face is not an option, going to HR is not an option and will likely backfire on me as it has to other people.

Is there any coping mechanism for an abusive workplace?

Soldato
It may be your dream job but you can't go on like that. You either learn to ignore the ****, or hand your notice in. You won't be the first person to be bullied away from a job due to a poor manager.

Soldato
OP
Nope no assistance further up, the guy is like teflon, just denies everything and carries on as normal. No union rep either. I've tried ignoring it but it's just constant, my line manager gets it equally as bad so can't count on him to say anything

Permabanned
Is there scope for the boss to get a promotion? Might that mean you wouldn't have to deal with him anymore?

12 months is a long notice period!! I'll assume there's a good reason. What's stopping you from just walking out though, generally you just sacrifice money by walking out, which sounds worth it to me.

Associate
Sounds like a losing battle in the long term mate seems like he wants you gone no matter what and is just building up evidence come sacking time.

I would go in as usual do the best i can and shrug off any negativity and just ride it out as long as you can while letting him know that you are not bothered by his bullying.

All i can say apart from that is no job is worth feeling stressed and underappreciated so don't let them get to you.

Soldato
OP
Aye, the main problem is I'm not good at just shrugging it off, it all gets pent up. If I've done something to cause it then I'll just fix that and go back to being happy but because I've done nothing wrong there's nothing to fix and that's what's pressing on me.

Can't walk out for reasons I'd rather not make clear, and the same reason it's not as simple as me being able to be sacked

Soldato
Well if you aren't gonna leave and you aren't getting sacked, that gives you a decent amount of room to take him on. Don't take crap off of nobody!

If you go down the route of taking no crap, everything is done in writing. If you get pulled in about your attitude, write a formal response to your line manager and keep a copy. Preferably a letter but an email will probably do. If you get pulled up for "chatting" when you are seeking advice, make a formal response to that effect. You should probably copy in HR as well, it may not go down well but frankly you're protecting yourself here not anyone else.

If you've spent the last 6/12 months verbally accepting these comments then you're on a back foot really as I'd bet the manager making your life difficult has things in writing.

But 5 years of emotional bullying isn't really worth anything. You'd be better off leaving in most circumstances.

Soldato
Yeah as above, it sounds like you need to document literally everything you do. If you need to speak to someone else in the team about further troubleshooting steps etc, then book it out as a meeting or something. The point being is that this is all proof that you're not just sat there 'chatting', even jot down some notes of what was discussed etc, so that if he ever questions it, you can show what was discussed. I would also go to the extents of documenting the jobs you're getting asked to do - have you been trained to work on certain systems, are there other people on your team who were trained on these systems, and why were they not tasked with fixing it? Ultimately you're pointing out that if they want you to fix things that you've not had any training on, then they need to provide some.

It really is a sad state of affairs when you have to justify your every move to your boss. But at least with the above, you'll have everything documented to justify what you're doing.

Caporegime
You can't dwell too much on peoples words or opinions, as long as you know you're doing your job to the best of your ability and log everything that occurs. The guy is incapable of managing people, as no leader worth their salt would or should behave like that.

You've got two choices really, grow a thicker skin or leave.

Soldato
There has to be some option to report him - There must be a system/process in place for situations like this.

Two options - suck it up, ignore him and just get on with your job. Don't let others drag you down.
or
Quit - walk away - I severely doubt they would hold you to 12 months notice - you could probably walk after 3 months max as anything like 12 months is almost a restriction of trade argument there.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Document every meeting with him, record all meetings let it escalate for a good 6 months. When it gets to HR mention tell them you have minutes / recordings of meetings since X date. Do not give them copies or details, it is your evidence, by all means let them review it in your presence in a short 10-15min meeting. If he has it in for you for whatever reason then its a uphill battle.

A bad manager is a bad manager, you need to empower yourself with these type`s of people, the company will be behind them most of the time I am afraid, so suck it up and do the above or leave.

Man of Honour
This sounds like the military. If so, good luck, most of it is like that from my experience. The only solution is to focus on your own progression and make an exit plan. If you're even half decent, you're better off out.

Soldato
Aye, the main problem is I'm not good at just shrugging it off, it all gets pent up. If I've done something to cause it then I'll just fix that and go back to being happy but because I've done nothing wrong there's nothing to fix and that's what's pressing on me.

This sounds similar to a situation I was in with a colleague who was being bullied, essentially - he was being blamed for everything, got picked on and eventually ended up being thrown all the rubbish work, because of a toxic, incompetent, insecure manager. It was close to resolution after a formal grievance was raised, however the company ended up being sold halfway through, so everyone left anyway.

I think you have to accept, the situation you're in is unsustainable, being up every night worrying about how you might be picked on, or bullied - to the point where you've felt the need to write this post, demonstrates that you need to find a solution and you need to do it as soon as possible.

I don't think suggestions that you should 'grow a thicker skin' or 'ignore it' are very helpful, because no reasonable person should expect to be like that just to get through the day, by the sounds of it - it's not you who's the problem here, it's a toxic manager wrecking your life. Don't change to accommodate somebody else's toxicity and incompetence.

If the dynamic is such, that the guy in question is untouchable - from what you've written, I'd say the only real solution is to somehow get out, or move to somewhere that isn't under his control.

Good luck.

Soldato
Just ignore him especially as he's got a rep. Just say yes ok to everything and everyone and carry on as before. Probably don't try so hard to please, basically act as if you own the place and are the world's expert on whatever it is you do.

Shop floor boss is probably feeling inadequate and looking for someone to blame. He couldn't do your job if his life depended on it.

Don't forget to look him in the eye when talking don't show weakness.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Report it to HR. The more cases they see of Mr Boss, the more they should realise that he's the common denominator.

Back
Top Bottom