*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Caporegime
n00b question: What do I need to buy if I plan on taking the CBT and going DAS in the next 6 months?

Don't want to turn up for a CBT with "all the gear and no idea". Equally, I don't want to get turned away by showing up in jeans and no helmet. I'd probably want to get my own helmet regardless and I'm thinking gloves.

Gloves and lid. We did ours a few months ago and the wet, stinky gloves and lid they gave us ruined the day a bit. Proper rank.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Ok, thanks guys. Will look in to getting at least a helmet and a pair of gloves soon. May even give the local training centre a call to book CBT!

I've been floating the idea of getting a new car for the last few months but my fiancee is against that idea due to cost (and the fact she has a brand new car). Yesterday I mentioned how the electric windows in my car randomly stopped working I said "I need to do something about this". Totally unexpectedly she said "I thought you wanted a bike?" so I replied with "I do!". Surprisingly she responded with "get one then! stop going on about your car" so I'm taking that as official approval :D

With that in mind I decided to hit the mock theory tests online today, in an effort to brush up on the highway code. Despite passing my car test 14 years ago I got 88% on my first try, which was reassuring. Of those that I got wrong I had also hovered over the right answer but doubted myself so I felt that I knew I wasn't guessing wildly. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I'm not worried about the theory so much as the practical stuff.

Question: how many lessons do you expect to have before taking mod1/2? I've read people saying that they only took 2 or 3 lessons between CBT and mod1/2 and completed the practical in short order. I've got about £750 saved for a rainy day and would like to get it all done in one hit in the next few months.

Soldato
Ok, thanks guys. Will look in to getting at least a helmet and a pair of gloves soon. May even give the local training centre a call to book CBT!

I've been floating the idea of getting a new car for the last few months but my fiancee is against that idea due to cost (and the fact she has a brand new car). Yesterday I mentioned how the electric windows in my car randomly stopped working I said "I need to do something about this". Totally unexpectedly she said "I thought you wanted a bike?" so I replied with "I do!". Surprisingly she responded with "get one then! stop going on about your car" so I'm taking that as official approval :D

With that in mind I decided to hit the mock theory tests online today, in an effort to brush up on the highway code. Despite passing my car test 14 years ago I got 88% on my first try, which was reassuring. Of those that I got wrong I had also hovered over the right answer but doubted myself so I felt that I knew I wasn't guessing wildly. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I'm not worried about the theory so much as the practical stuff.

Question: how many lessons do you expect to have before taking mod1/2? I've read people saying that they only took 2 or 3 lessons between CBT and mod1/2 and completed the practical in short order. I've got about £750 saved for a rainy day and would like to get it all done in one hit in the next few months.
If you go straight from nothing to full DAS course then they're normally around 5 days long. The more time you spend on a 125 the less training you (should!) need.

I did about 7000 miles on a 125 over 6 months and only need 3 half days of training, with mod1 and mod2 on the third day.

Soldato
I had a 4 day DAS course after spending 6 months on a 125, I could have had a 3 day course but it was only an extra £75 for a full day extra.

Man of Honour
I had a 4 day DAS course after spending 6 months on a 125, I could have had a 3 day course but it was only an extra £75 for a full day extra.

I think I did the same, although I did pop in after work one night on my way home to spend an hour rolling around the training ground practising my U turns because they just wouldn't click on the bigger bike. Trainer was around doing bits and bobs anyway so was happy to leave me to it until I stopped ****ing it up :D

Associate

I did a 5 day course - 1st day was a 125 to 600cc upgrade lesson and then 2 lessons and mod 1 / mod 2. Was plenty.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

£570 for CBT plus DAS. Do I have to wait to complete the CBT to take the theory?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Theory booked for 8:15am on Wednesday 29th March. Have to be up nice and fresh :cool:

Caporegime
Theory booked for 8:15am on Wednesday 29th March. Have to be up nice and fresh :cool:

Good luck dude. There's an app on whatever app store takes your flavour called "bike test" or something, cost me £2.99. Has loads of hazard perception videos too, can't fault it. Was actually recommended by someone on here too.

Soldato
Good luck dude. There's an app on whatever app store takes your flavour called "bike test" or something, cost me £2.99. Has loads of hazard perception videos too, can't fault it. Was actually recommended by someone on here too.

That is what I used. Did it on lunch at work for a week, and passed my theory no problem.:D

Mod 1 I found easy, Mod 2, was a bit harder for me at least.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'll take a look at that, thanks.

Told the mrs last night that I'd booked the theory test and CBT. Got told that if I want a bike I'll have to get rid of my car and then she ignored me all night. Wouldn't be so much of a hardship but I have my daughter every other weekend and would struggle with just a bike if the mrs is out and about :o

Man of Honour
I'll take a look at that, thanks.

Told the mrs last night that I'd booked the theory test and CBT. Got told that if I want a bike I'll have to get rid of my car and then she ignored me all night. Wouldn't be so much of a hardship but I have my daughter every other weekend and would struggle with just a bike if the mrs is out and about :o
I knew the whole "Why don't you get a bike?" from the mrs was too good to be true! :D

Back
Top Bottom