*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Yup :(

It's not looking good, as I could be in a position of doing the theory and CBT and having to sell my car to satisfy the other half. Somehow, I've also got to break the news to her that the CBT is booked and that I'm serious about this whilst coming up with a solution for transporting a 6 year old on a bike. Sigh.

Dread bringing that up anytime soon so may leave it a week.

Caporegime

It's not looking good, as I could be in a position of doing the theory and CBT and having to sell my car to satisfy the other half. Somehow, I've also got to break the news to her that the CBT is booked and that I'm serious about this whilst coming up with a solution for transporting a 6 year old on a bike. Sigh.

LgF3u4N.jpg

Toot toot!

In situations like this I usually adopt the "shoot first, apologise later" approach :p

Associate
The place I did my CBT, and will be doing DAS (ridesure), had everything needed - boots, trousers, jacket, gloves, helmet.

Though for DAS I've purchased a jacket and will hopefully have jeans (just received a pair of hood jeans, my legs are too fat though). Gotta buy gear at some point anyway and it'll be nicer doing training in gear that is clean and fits properly. Also saves having to dig through a pile of clothing to try and find something that kinda fits alright.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Update: I have had the chat and will be doing the theory and CBT as booked :cool:

Essentially, she's happy so long as I don't use any savings to buy what I need. This means I'll be selling my car and trying to keep costs low but it should be do-able with what I have set aside.

Soldato
Update: I have had the chat and will be doing the theory and CBT as booked :cool:

Essentially, she's happy so long as I don't use any savings to buy what I need. This means I'll be selling my car and trying to keep costs low but it should be do-able with what I have set aside.

Sounds exactly like me..... I cancelled my virgin media package as we mostly watch series these days. Save £50 a month, which has gone toward my bike, also I've downgraded to a sim only savings another £25.... In a nut shell this has allowed me to take a £4500 loan out which is part paying for my complete test and a nice MT07 :D

Took the theory myself on Tuesday gone and CBT Saturday gone.... Theory is 10 times harder than when I did it in 2009. They have case studies at the end which really threw me off!

Do quite bit of revision on bike handling and preparation for journey's. They gave me a case study along the lines of: (short version) Its a wet day with lots of puddles, you drive on dual and single carriage ways, past schools, a car pulls in your safe distance, a lorry is turning etc.

Download the app: Deep River Development Ltd app - Motorcycle Theory test+hazard ****2017 OFFICIAL DSA Prep Materials****.

Good luck. Have my MOD 1 booked in for 4th of April 10.35am.

Soldato

I cant suggest enough man, look at your monthly costs I can all but guarantee you'll find enough savings to justify a 60 month loan. Plus if you take out a credit card, just change it ever 2 years and pay 0% interest!

I have 2 kids i need to take to school, so have to keep my rubbish 17 year old Mondeo, its been my plan all along to not upgrade the car, despite my wife saying its an embarrassment lol. I knew I was gonna spend a few £k on a bike so fought against it mwahaha..... Literally, where theres a will there's a way!

Associate
My car is now 10 years old and just hit 100k miles this week. My justification is I can run the car completely into the ground knowing I'll have a bike as backup for getting to work when it breaks down - so really it's saving me having to replace the car sooner! Plus commuting on the bike will reduce car usage, making it last longer.

I did my car theory in 2010, tbh didn't find it any more difficult this time. Did a couple of practice tests online the week before hand and was fine. The case study is a different way of asking things, but if you've done well on the other questions you can afford to drop a couple of marks on that section anyway.

Soldato
So i did my CBT last June and got a 125, all good. I then booked Theory, Mod 1 and training to be ready to pass for SUmmer.

After two full days training over the last 2 weeks and passing my theory - i did my Mod 1 today. Failed! :( . I stalled on the Figure of 8 which i have never done in training. I had even been doing figure of 8's for 5 straight minutes just before i did the test with no issue.

Either way, i don't mind, it's ultimately £20. However, the next available test is in 3 weeks! This seems crazy to me. Unlike a car, you can't drive a 600cc bike to keep fresh ready for the next test, and i don't want to fork out for training just for the sake of keeping fresh and nailing exercises over and over again. I am doing the next Mod 1 in 3 weeks with only the ride to the test centre as my preparation. So if i fail my next Mod 1 in 3 weeks time, i will be hundreds of £ worse off, while having probably lost all my muscle memory on hte bigger bike. Frustrating / worrying really.

I may have to think about trying over again in winter when i can retake tests is quicker succession.

Soldato
So i did my CBT last June and got a 125, all good. I then booked Theory, Mod 1 and training to be ready to pass for SUmmer.

After two full days training over the last 2 weeks and passing my theory - i did my Mod 1 today. Failed! :( . I stalled on the Figure of 8 which i have never done in training. I had even been doing figure of 8's for 5 straight minutes just before i did the test with no issue.

Either way, i don't mind, it's ultimately £20. However, the next available test is in 3 weeks! This seems crazy to me. Unlike a car, you can't drive a 600cc bike to keep fresh ready for the next test, and i don't want to fork out for training just for the sake of keeping fresh and nailing exercises over and over again. I am doing the next Mod 1 in 3 weeks with only the ride to the test centre as my preparation. So if i fail my next Mod 1 in 3 weeks time, i will be hundreds of £ worse off, while having probably lost all my muscle memory on hte bigger bike. Frustrating / worrying really.

I may have to think about trying over again in winter when i can retake tests is quicker succession.

How on earth is your retest £20? Mine is £90!!!

And sorry to hear that, I have my test in 2 weeks..... I've had to wait over a month for a test date. The examiner has been taken off the bike test as the car tests are longer than a 10 week wait.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Struggling with the hazard perception at the moment. I think because it was never a requirement for my car test and I have been ace'ing the theory I chalked it up as an easy-win and under-estimated it. Big mistake. I keep under clicking and missing stupid things like parked cars which is annoying.

Got the app now, so will give it a blast every night until I'm passing it easily.

Man of Honour

And sorry to hear that, I have my test in 2 weeks..... I've had to wait over a month for a test date. The examiner has been taken off the bike test as the car tests are longer than a 10 week wait.

The actual test is only around £20 I imagine you're then being charged bike hire and an hour beforehand as well.

Soldato
Struggling with the hazard perception at the moment. I think because it was never a requirement for my car test and I have been ace'ing the theory I chalked it up as an easy-win and under-estimated it. Big mistake. I keep under clicking and missing stupid things like parked cars which is annoying.

Got the app now, so will give it a blast every night until I'm passing it easily.

Yeah the DVA one yeah? Its worth it, once you've got the concept you'll pass first time. I thankfully tried it before hand and totally messed up, by the test i got 98%.

Keep going bro and good luck.

The actual test is only around £20 I imagine you're then being charged bike hire and an hour beforehand as well.

Yeah that sounds about right! If i fail i might just ask to rent the bike and not the practise. I think the bike is £10 per day rental.

Soldato

Yeah this is another thing, i realise not only have i blown it as i now have to do tests with no practice, but also a test is quite a bit due to bike hire and insurance via the training centre. Sigh i dunno. I either pass next time, or have a serious think. Mod 1 is a fools game

Legislatures probably think it's a good quick 15min test that is cheap. But they don't appreciate the costs and timing issues that can completely block a competent rider who would have otherwise flown through the pre 2009 test

Back
Top Bottom