• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

How would you survive the zombie apocalypse?

Caporegime
You are all thinking very selfishly.

My plan would be to find a very high vertical cliff with a river with good flow at the bottom. Then at the top build a funnel type system. PA system setup playing loud music. This will attract the zombies into the funnel. Then the force of the crowd of zombies will push them all over the edge. The river at the bottom will carry the zombie meat out to sea. Soon enough, you will have cleared the area. Then you can do small sorties out to round up more. Then eventually, uk would be cleansed. Sorted. Solution, not just survival.

A cliff? And if they come up behind you?

Caporegime
I think I'd be alright, I have access to a farm, which isn't far away... And there are guns there. And people there who can use them, who are unlikely to be 'infected' unless thats where patient zero came from, because of the remoteness of it... There's also tonnes of food, fuel (massive tanks of red diesel), equipment, vehicles, etc... Even a house on stilts with a staircase you can detatch... :)

Not to mention a sustainable supply of food. As long as you don't mind eating much the same stuff day in day out.

Soldato
You are all thinking very selfishly.

My plan would be to find a very high vertical cliff with a river with good flow at the bottom. Then at the top build a funnel type system. PA system setup playing loud music. This will attract the zombies into the funnel. Then the force of the crowd of zombies will push them all over the edge. The river at the bottom will carry the zombie meat out to sea. Soon enough, you will have cleared the area. Then you can do small sorties out to round up more. Then eventually, uk would be cleansed. Sorted. Solution, not just survival.

You just happen to have the equipment to build a funnel type system for this river. Assuming you have the equipment, do you have the technical know how and the ability to single handedly build said funnel. Same questions go for the PA system. How you going to power the PA system?

What if your PA system attracts other survivors, survivors who don't happen to like your plan?

So many flaws in your plan. The fact is if you want to survive then the best option is to be remote and as far away from people and potential infection as possible. Not fanciful ideas. ;)

Caporegime
Assuming TWD zombies

Depends where I am... in London - lay low for a few days in my flat slowly check out immediate area on my development (have gated car park and individual blocks have security doors fitted). Eventually try to find a way back to the midlands, moving mostly at night - probably using a bike.

If in the midlands - have plenty of food and decent size garden, neighbours are all pretty decent people, would likely be open to collaboration - could easily block off bottom of road.

frankly TWD zombies would be straightforward to keep away if you've got neighbours you can co-ordinate with - keep light/noise to a minimum, at night - WW2 air raid style, coordinate patrols, sentries etc.. have inner barriers too and SOPs re: possible breaches of any section of the neighbourhood

if you don't have neighbours to co-ordinate with then it is still fairly straightforwards with noise/light discipline - close gate at end of drive, keep curtains closed... dumb Zombies have no reason to come near your house as they can't see anyone, the certainly can't see into the back garden, can recce the adjoining houses and check for zombies, close gates/make barricades around them so no zombie need be in an adjoining garden either. TWD zombies hit a barrier then change direction unless they sense some prey beyond it. Initial savaging/searching for surviving neighbours or local Zombies to be done by fence hopping checking out neighbouring houses via the back garden.

eventually consider moving out to local farm if not already occupied, frankly the farm early on in TWD was one of the best locations if you take into consideration that concealment and good sentries are the best ways to avoid being killed... they could have let the herd pass through that location or just bolted it down and retreated to a secondary location that they can bunker down in for a day or so until the herd passed through.

Last edited:
Soldato
Assuming TWD zombies

Depends where I am... in London - lay low for a few days in my flat slowly check out immediate area on my development (have gated car park and individual blocks have security doors fitted). Eventually try to find a way back to the midlands, moving mostly at night - probably using a bike.

If in the midlands - have plenty of food and decent size garden, neighbours are all pretty decent people, would likely be open to collaboration - could easily block off bottom of road.

frankly TWD zombies would be straightforward to keep away if you've got neighbours you can co-ordinate with - keep light/noise to a minimum, at night - WW2 air raid style, coordinate patrols, sentries etc.. have inner barriers too and SOPs re: possible breaches of any section of the neighbourhood

if you don't have neighbours to co-ordinate with then it is still fairly straightforwards with noise/light discipline - close gate at end of drive, keep curtains closed... dumb Zombies have no reason to come near your house as they can't see anyone, the certainly can't see into the back garden, can recce the adjoining houses and check for zombies, close gates/make barricades around them so no zombie need be in an adjoining garden either. TWD zombies hit a barrier then change direction unless they sense some prey beyond it. Initial savaging/searching for surviving neighbours or local Zombies to be done by fence hopping checking out neighbouring houses via the back garden.

eventually consider moving out to local farm if not already occupied, frankly the farm early on in TWD was one of the best locations if you take into consideration that concealment and good sentries are the best ways to avoid being killed... they could have let the herd pass through that location or just bolted it down and retreated to a secondary location that they can bunker down in for a day or so until the herd passed through.

You are treating the zombies as the primary threat, which is where your plan falls down. If they are TWD type then outside of hordes the threat posed is minimal. The biggest threat faced to your survival will be other survivors. Gated communities are all well and good untill resources start to dwindle, then the threat comes from within.

If you are lucky and are in a position to sustain vital resources within your own community then the threat will come from outside, there will be those that will want to take what you have. You'll also face internal struggle, even with all the resources in the world, in a closed community you will end up with power struggles.

The sad reality is that if (and possibly when!) it all goes wrong, zombie apocalypse aside, your individual or families best chance for survival lies with getting as remote as possible.

Soldato
Nah just think. All the time they're eating this guy the extra few seconds/minutes you have to get away :D.

I like your thinking, let the fool think his plan 'thee' plan, all the while you're just using him to aid your own survival. When the apocalypse happens I would nearly take you with me, but your a cold hearted sod so I can't be sure you wouldn't spear me in the foot and leave me as fodder! Lol

Soldato
I like your thinking, let the fool think his plan 'thee' plan, all the while you're just using him to aid your own survival. When the apocalypse happens I would nearly take you with me, but your a cold hearted sod so I can't be sure you wouldn't spear me in the foot and leave me as fodder! Lol

Well I guess it all depends on if you can outrun me as to whether I'd need a spear or not :D.

In the unlikely event that the dead are somehow reanimated I would be happy to bet that they would be even less capable of movement than TWD zombies let alone the 28 days reasoning zombies. With how complicated our brains are even a simple injury can drastically reduce control I don't imagine a plague having the ability to mimic nor control such function. If I'm wrong I guess the upside would be I wouldn't have to pay the bet :D.

Honestly I believe humans would still pose the most threat.

Last edited:
Soldato
Zombie+bulldozer.jpg

zombie_proof_house.jpg

Soldato
Myself and an ex work colleague used to talk about this all the time. He is a big TWD fan, I used to be before it went into a soap opera. We worked in Morrisons and had a Pets at home, Currys Pcworld, DFS and another furniture store, the range, B & M and a USA golf store in the retail park.

Stage one: After hearing the news or seeing with our own eyes
Depending on the day and time it would be Lock down of Morrisons. Sound the fire alarm and get customers out the store. Give staff the option of staying or going home to loved ones and family. Shutters down. Park as many staff cars in the warehouse yard as we can, all being well we should have a wagon or two there already from dropping off delivery. These can come in useful later.

Stage Two: Establish roles
I assume there would be 15-20 people letf in the store up for a Zombie fight from what I know and remember on our discussions over the years. Everyone would have a role, eg making sure the generator is fully fuelled and only used when needed. (it has a 6 hour full power back up and 24 or 48 hours minimal power just to light a few rooms and offer power to main fridges and freezers. Some one to make sure all perishables are sorted and rotated properly and used first to make sure we have the longest possible food supply. Other roles are avaliable.

Stage Three: Establish comms/ services to other stores in the park.
At the back of park is a train line easily acssesable from the WH yard and you can get tyo Pcworld in a minute or less with out attracting zombie attention unless they walk on the tracks. The rest of the stores can be reached from the rear from there. Low chance on zombies being around there.
M, PC world, B&M and Range all have full shutters, the furniture store don't iirc. So it would be a good idea to work with these sofa shops to transport a few sofas over to the non surviving sofa shops so people can have a comfy place to kip. You wont need one sofa per person as hald will be busy, lookout, miaintainence etc. Offer refugee to those sofa place staff in Pc world and Morrisons. Food is easily moveable to other stores in the park.

Stage four: Food (based on a Friday afternoon apocolyspe)
Morrisons store holds at least (after our numerous calculations over the years with the General managers and other zombie fans etc.) Based on 100 people, rationed to-perday
Enough food (fresh would last 3 months depending on what it is) for 2 years possibly a few months longer. Bottled water 6 months. Frozen is all depending on what state the power services are in. Cut off or still running with power? this would chnage a lot of tactics on food.

plenty more stages and ideas but it will take forever to type it all up. but ome thing certain is the pertol station. No chance of protecting that so it will be a case of filling every sealable conatiner and car with fuel. The wagons too if they are in the yard. Storing this fuel in store and torching the petrol station, then no one has a reason to come and nick it all. As it's all blown up.

These stages are what myself and few others discussed so we can weed out the losers and make our own 4/5 man band up and go on the road with supplies leaving the others behind.

Soldato
It completely depends on what kind of zombie we are going to be dealing with.

But, if you've seen the new Train To Busan movie, then those suckers run like Usain Bolt. A fort with sniper rifles and napalm is the only solution here.

Zombies have been running since the Dawn Of The Dead remake, il never forget that first zombie running after his gf, I was like, ****!

I'd survive by pillaging everyones stuff like in TWD :D

Caporegime
You are treating the zombies as the primary threat, which is where your plan falls down. If they are TWD type then outside of hordes the threat posed is minimal. The biggest threat faced to your survival will be other survivors. Gated communities are all well and good untill resources start to dwindle, then the threat comes from within.

If you are lucky and are in a position to sustain vital resources within your own community then the threat will come from outside, there will be those that will want to take what you have. You'll also face internal struggle, even with all the resources in the world, in a closed community you will end up with power struggles.

The sad reality is that if (and possibly when!) it all goes wrong, zombie apocalypse aside, your individual or families best chance for survival lies with getting as remote as possible.

Not really, not at all actually. I'm pointing out that the zombies would be fairly trivial to defend against. Might not have been so clear but my primary aim (if in London) would be to get out of London within a few days, at night... and return to an area much less populated, int he Midlands, where most of the neighbours are fairly intelligent and mostly known to each other.

Back
Top Bottom