• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

How would you survive the zombie apocalypse?

Man of Honour
Not really, not at all actually. I'm pointing out that the zombies would be fairly trivial to defend against. Might not have been so clear but my primary aim (if in London) would be to get out of London within a few days, at night... and return to an area much less populated, int he Midlands, where most of the neighbours are fairly intelligent and mostly known to each other.

It is a pretty fair bet though that the neighbourhood in the midlands would already be impacted by that kind of thing by the time you got there - unless they isolated themselves early on with some discipline and then you'd likely not be welcome there.

Caporegime
It is a pretty fair bet though that the neighbourhood in the midlands would already be impacted by that kind of thing by the time you got there - unless they isolated themselves early on with some discipline and then you'd likely not be welcome there.

in the space of a few days I'm not so sure and I'm going to be known to my neighbours rather than a stranger

plenty of alternatives/backups too - lots of farms in the area for example

Soldato
Pick up the best weapon I can find plus some other essential supplies
Run 1 mile to the seaside
Buy/steal fishing rod
Steal the largest and most habitable sail boat I can find
Learn how to sail and fish
Spend the rest of my life sailing the world and fishing.

Associate

Dude did you even watch WWZ?
18rh7iulxtsijjpg.jpg

Caporegime
A quick rummage in the loft for that bottle of Old Spice aftershave I know is up there and one quick splash later I'm all sorted for a week at a time (Brut or Hi Karate will work equally well). I guarantee that any and all undesirables will keep 20 paces from you while wearing that stuff.

Soldato
Surely the best way to survive is to already be in the military and therefore you'll be stationed at a base?

Not really, because armed to the teeth as you are you're going to be the first in to assist evacuation protocols meaning being stuck in the cities aka zombie flashpans.

Remember most infantry wont be carrying north of 300 rounds (less if your not tooling up for a firefight, which you wont be) so in a city of thousands of people even if you're some pro sniper your not going to be able to fight your way out.

Ironically the best weapon for the zombie apocalypse imo would be the humble ruger 10/22 with subsonic ammo and a good suppressor. Light and easy carried, accurate enough to make headshots and thatll do for zombies, plus carrying a couple of thousand rounds in a backpack is a realistic undertaking. Plus in the uk itd be the biggest chance of finding ammo for it as its a very common round.

Combine with a sawnoff shotgun for hairy moments and dealing with humans.

Assuming we're not dealing with wwz zombies then holing up in a castle is by far the best bet, anything designed to keep a determined army with seige artillery at bay isnt going to sweat with a few zombies clawing at the door nor any grouchy survivor bandits, you'd need to be careful who you let in and supoorted but raiding local food and moving towards sustainable farming is going to be a good strategy.

Thug
Soldato
Remington R15, stock up @ nearest town if time, cars out to the farm. Set up perimeter and bunk down. Stream within property, good visibility. Warning signs up, anyone/anything closer than 500m is fair game.

Soldato
Not really, not at all actually. I'm pointing out that the zombies would be fairly trivial to defend against. Might not have been so clear but my primary aim (if in London) would be to get out of London within a few days, at night... and return to an area much less populated, int he Midlands, where most of the neighbours are fairly intelligent and mostly known to each other.

Ah ok so your primary goal is to get more rural, well that's a +1

But my main points still stand, just because you are known to the people you are running to doesn't mean an increased survival chance (it may do initially but long term, no)
The backup plan of surrounding farms also relies on others not knowing they are there too. You think you will be the only one that may decide to fall back to those remote farms??

As I've said, long term survival relies on remoteness and distance from others, obviously combined with a degree of hunting/survival knowledge, which in reality very few people possess.

Man of Honour
As I've said, long term survival relies on remoteness and distance from others, obviously combined with a degree of hunting/survival knowledge, which in reality very few people possess.

Not just knowledge but experience and instinct as well.

Soldato
Pick up the best weapon I can find plus some other essential supplies
Run 1 mile to the seaside
Buy/steal fishing rod
Steal the largest and most habitable sail boat I can find
Learn how to sail and fish
Spend the rest of my life sailing the world and fishing.

Plenty of time to learn how to write sentences correctly. ;)

Caporegime
Ah ok so your primary goal is to get more rural, well that's a +1

But my main points still stand, just because you are known to the people you are running to doesn't mean an increased survival chance (it may do initially but long term, no)
The backup plan of surrounding farms also relies on others not knowing they are there too. You think you will be the only one that may decide to fall back to those remote farms??

Actually having a group of well resourced, intelligent people can massively increase the chance of survival in that sort of situation. Far more so than any lone wolf type fantasies you may be having. Fact is in order to survive initially you will need to scavenge, it would be useful to have some people with medical skills etc... if you're well organised as a rural/semi rural community with plans in place for a range of situations then you could massively increase your chances. Most of the TWD screw ups could have been averted with better planning.

Also (again I'm writing this conditional on a TWD type scenario) the vast majority of the population is wiped out... getting to a rural/semi rural location away from the main population centres you know well is going to leave you being rather remote albeit you're going to know the local area(and potentially other survivors) so can go scavenging etc... Longer term your group may need to venture further afield but initially a lot if food would come from scavenging.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom