• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

How would you survive the zombie apocalypse?

Soldato
Actually having a group of well resourced, intelligent people can massively increase the chance of survival in that sort of situation. Far more so than any lone wolf type fantasies you may be having. Fact is in order to survive initially you will need to scavenge, it would be useful to have some people with medical skills etc... if you're well organised as a rural/semi rural community with plans in place for a range of situations then you could massively increase your chances. Most of the TWD screw ups could have been averted with better planning.

Also (again I'm writing this conditional on a TWD type scenario) the vast majority of the population is wiped out... getting to a rural/semi rural location away from the main population centres you know well is going to leave you being rather remote albeit you're going to know the local area(and potentially other survivors) so can go scavenging etc... Longer term your group may need to venture further afield but initially a lot if food would come from scavenging.

Lets not forget the psychological aspect of how you could sustain the will to keep fighting in a world gone to hell without other people to lean on/cheer you up.

Me and a mate of mine discussed this about a "top ten" pick for the ideal zombie crew, threw up some interesting notions:
battlefield surgeon over a doctor due to experience working on trauma without high tech hospital equipment
A chef, because a good meal can cheer everyone up
Standard hunter/farmer/soldier picks
A builder/a mechanic
A comedian

You get the idea, to have a broad range of practical skills that will benefit a team rather than the cast of the expendables, needless to say ray mears wouldnt be a bad shout either.

Caporegime
Load up and drive this

tyFOqAy.jpg

to here, and once inside replace the bridge with a drawbridge.

hK51Ws5.jpg

do this and kill anyone or everything that approaches.how can it fail ?

many people often say how they would band together when the exact opposite would happen.if it comes down to hunger and water and there is numbers of your posse, more of you becomes a very big problem to maintain.

life then becomes a very high and low priority regarding maintaining your life status.:p low group numbers yall.

Soldato
Get a few guns, get all the ammo ever, lock myself in the co-op with the 50 other guys who had the same idea, and wait for it to blow over.

No seriously I'd probably get a rifle, get all the ammo I could and swim out to one of the Yachts in the bay near me. Use said vehicle to get North where my family is. Try to get even further north.

Last edited:
Caporegime
many people often say how they would band together when the exact opposite would happen.if it comes down to hunger and water and there is numbers of your posse, more of you becomes a very big problem to maintain.

life then becomes a very high and low priority regarding maintaining your life status.:p low group numbers yall.

Perhaps it is a bit situation dependent - but in TWD world a group you can trust is pretty damn valuable! Without linking up and coordinating with others you're not going to be able to fight back. In TWD they could have established themselves - started pushing back the areas where zombies were present - clearing/making safe territory etc..

Last edited:
Associate
You think it's going to be cool, zombies, survival, surviving zombies. But ultimately you will soon realise it has degenerated into a silly battle royal and we'll be hunting for motorbike helmets (obviously the first thing to do), tearing up our clothes to make bandages and driving police cars around - because they're the only cars available of course, disregarding the laws of physics and car handling. Eventually you'll realise you haven't even seen a zombie in 2 years and you're sick of trying to shoot people and avoid the green gas that keeps appearing for reasons, and wonder what any of it has to do with zombies anymore.

Soldato
Whilst I live close to 2 villages my house is 1900's construction solid stone 1' thick walls. The front and rear doors have lockable inner and outer doors so I could operate an "airlock system". The house is surrounded by a stock fence. To the rear is woods and then a railway embankment. The woods are crisscrossed by stock fencing. To the front left a steep-ish farmers field 30-50m to stock fencing. To the right THICK privet hedge and a cemetery 30-50m to solid stone wall or fencing. So in effect apart from the drive to the house I have 2 fences/walls between me and the house out to 50m. So I'd block the drive at the bottom and top and hunker down.
Fresh water from an accessible river bank is 100m away. I have 2 log burners one of which can be used to cook. I'm surrounded by woods and have access to 60 days wood immediately without splitting. I have a generator and enough fuel to run it for about 72 hours, more if I syphon the car. We keep a lot of food in the house I think 20 days on short rations might be doable. All my frozen meat could be cooked and jarred and pressure cooked (canned) with a days notice to increase it's life.

I'd hunker down and wait out the first week or two if it's slow stupid zombies, fast zombies I think I'm boned. Return of the Evil Dead returning from the grave zombies I'm double boned.

Soldato
I always thought coast -> boat -> sail the seas -> game complete.

However since watching fear the walking dead I put swimming zombies up there with child zombies and zombies on fire, on the terrifying scale...

Maybe people should just give into it, become a zombie. Then you don't have to worry about water/food/ which one of your friends is going to stab you in the back first?

Associate
Love these threads, have seen many of them now on different forums, guess its all down to the TWD whats back tonight!
Me and brother in law have had many detailed discussions about this normal after a few beers. We have even talked about best weapons to take or what you make up with house hold items, taking the lack of guns and ammo here in the UK. Any way here in Norfolk we have a few old air bases around the country side and i always said they would be fairly easy to set up in one of these with a few other people. With the air traffic control towers you have a good look out point to see a hoard coming your way and able to view the best exit if needed. Lots of pros to this, a bit like in TWD in the prison.
Or if you feel brave enough to travel, get to the tip Scotland in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
Associate
Honestly, I don't think many people would last long..

If this happens when I'm working in brum, you can bet all the roads will be blocked/congested, I'd be better off hunkering up on my workplaces roof than I would trying to flee when people are running around like headless chickens.

Man of Honour
Loves these threads, have seen many of them now on different forums, guess its all down to the TWD whats back tonight!
Me and brother in law have had many detailed discussions about this normal after a few beers. We have even talked about best weapons to take or what you make up with house hold items, taking the lack of guns and ammo here in the UK. Any way here in Norfolk we have a few old air bases around the country side and i always said they would be fairly easy to set up in one of these with a few other people. With the air traffic control towers you have a good look out point to see a hoard coming your way and able to view the best exit if needed. Lots of pros to this, a bit like in TWD in the prison.
Or if you feel brave enough to travel, get to the tip Scotland in the middle of nowhere.

Plenty of guns and ammo around where I am - assuming very few survivors so other people wouldn't be preventing access - 2 farm/hunting suppliers nearby one of which is also licensed for handling section V, etc. stuff plus police firearms facility and 2 air bases one of which has a sizeable depot. Though in all the movies they are the first places that get hit lol.

Associate
Plenty of guns and ammo around where I am - assuming very few survivors so other people wouldn't be preventing access - 2 farm/hunting suppliers nearby one of which is also licensed for handling section V, etc. stuff plus police firearms facility and 2 air bases one of which has a sizeable depot. Though in all the movies they are the first places that get hit lol.

As you say most of these places would likely be hit first, the police stations most likely will be in a city and will be no go area's for some time. But saying that most of the armed rapid response of the police force are not located in the cities but near major roads.
Active forces bases are 50-50 chance if you ask me, say no one gets infected on said base, that place will turn into a safe zone so the military will control all weapons and will protect those lucky few survivors. But happens when they let someone who is already infected in? Game over, after a little while as it would spread like wild fire once its in. Unless it takes a long time to turn.
Or the other scenerio everyone on the base is already infected, increasing the chance of being bitten whilst trying to gain access to the weapon locker.
I live 0.5 mile away from a local fishing/hunters/farmers supplier myself so i would certainly make a trip to see what i can get. I think the first weapon that most of would have, would be from your house, so what would you have? Me i have a couple of baseball bats, even before Neggan was on the show with his bat and barbed wire i use to say i would hammer a couple of very large Nails into it making a modern medieval mace.

Permabanned
  • Cars break down
  • Guns use ammo
  • Both require maintenance
  • You don't have the resources in both human and material to maintain both

If you think you can do more than pitchforks and pigs, you're gonna have a bad time.

If you don't know how to make what you are using, then it is a temporary solution to a potentially long term problem.

The main issue for me would be location.

Associate
Honestly, I don't think many people would last long..

If this happens when I'm working in brum, you can bet all the roads will be blocked/congested, I'd be better off hunkering up on my workplaces roof than I would trying to flee when people are running around like headless chickens.

I think if you work or live in a major city you are screwed and think only a very small percentage would make it out alive. Those like you said who hunker down and wait for the worst to pass, have a higher chance of surviving.

Man of Honour
As you say most of these places would likely be hit first, the police stations most likely will be in a city and will be no go area's for some time. But saying that most of the armed rapid response of the police force are not located in the cities but near major roads.
Active forces bases are 50-50 chance if you ask me, say no one gets infected on said base, that place will turn into a safe zone so the military will control all weapons and will protect those lucky few survivors. But happens when they let someone who is already infected in? Game over, after a little while as it would spread like wild fire once its in. Unless it takes a long time to turn.
Or the other scenerio everyone on the base is already infected, increasing the chance of being bitten whilst trying to gain access to the weapon locker.
I live 0.5 mile away from a local fishing/hunters/farmers supplier myself so i would certainly make a trip to see what i can get. I think the first weapon that most of would have, would be from your house, so what would you have? Me i have a couple of baseball bats, even before Neggan was on the show with his bat and barbed wire i use to say i would hammer a couple of very large Nails into it making a modern medieval mace.

As you said the armed response facility is on the edge of town off an intersection of major roads.

Military facilities are a bit of a complex story but the one I have in mind has a sizeable depot that is isolated from the main facilities so likely still accessible even if the main base was over-run but would depend hugely on what the story was with survivors, etc.

I wouldn't be short of zombie bashing instruments though hah.

• Cars break down
  • Guns use ammo
  • Both require maintenance
  • You don't have the resources in both human and material to maintain both

If you think you can do more than pitchforks and pigs, you're gonna have a bad time.

If you don't know how to make what you are using, then it is a temporary solution to a potentially long term problem.

The main issue for me would be location.

Think I'd do quite well personally - while no expert I've broad experience in most of the technical fields - I'm quite capable of learning many of the relevant skills for myself where I don't have experience and have a moderate amount of experience in relevant areas including some survival training.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom