• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

How would you survive the zombie apocalypse?

Man of Honour
Initially I'd fill a bath with water (because water will stop pretty soon without power) and gather any key resources around my home; anything that can be used to fight a zombie such as a hand axe, club hammer, wheel brace, shovel, garden fork, etc. I'd also gather any food and medicines and locate everything on the top floor of my house.

I'd then make the house as secure as possible by using any spare wood to barricade the downstairs entrances and windows. I'd prepare areas to defend the house at the two staircases in case they breached the entrance (luckily one staircase has walls both sides. I'd prepare an escape route at the top of the house with a rope or ladder in case both of the staircases were also breached. Finally I'd make sure that the detached garage was also as secure as possible so that when the time came I could get to anything I leave in there and also the car and spare petrol (I have a can of petrol for the mower and also two cars so would drain the petrol from one car as spare). The advantage of staying in my own house is that I know the local area, where to forage for food and water if required (the local shops if they were safe and not looted) and back routes to places if I need to get to them.

Longer term I'd still need water and food. So if it were safe to do so I'd be driving out to the country to find a location with running water and a secure building near open countryside. The countryside would provide an opportunity to trap animals for food if supermarkets had been emptied already. Trapping food would be a learning experience but possible I think.

Sgarrista
Commissario
I would stay local, its a little town but better the devil you know.

First thing would be grab our vehicles and move to a friends house nearby, its got large areas of enclosed land (for growing food) with deep cut streams and forests along 3 sides (which are difficult to climb out of, so TWD zombies would just get funneled off downstream and away) the other side is secured by solid fencing with thick hedges in front. There is also a local fabrication plant, reclamation yard and builders merchant nearby, so plenty of materials for fortification.

Weapons would be a variety of rifles and shotguns which we have ammo and the ability to maintain for a long time for emergencies, for day to day culling of zombies we have a variety of long blades and axes etc.

Protection against others trying to take it would be relatively easy, as long as the first few days we could build some solid walls around the 3 stream-edges, there isn't any way someone could get a vehicle or similar through to ram-raid that side, any attempt to come on foot would be a massacre as they'd need some huge ladders to bridge the gap and height. Any assault on the front would also be hugely costly / impossible as there is only room for 1 vehicle at a time to get through due to land layout then involves working your way uphill in a clear and open killzone.

Soldato
I think after watching Fear the walking dead, The walking dead, Z Nation and a lot of Zombie films, its not actually the Zombies id be frightened of.

I be worried more about you lot coming to steal my supplies, guns, fuel and landrover.
Maybe even forcing yourselves on me................... lol

Soldato
Hit them over the head with my keyboard...

Seriously, in South Central England there's not many places where you can get remote not that other people won't already be heading for. As mentioned previously if you're indoors and quiet the biggest threat comes from human scavengers looking for food or that 20 gallon header tank of potable water in the loft.

And not to mention Preston Garvey walking round, "I'll mark it on the map for you/I've got something a bit different for you to look into."

Caporegime
But happens when they let someone who is already infected in? Game over, after a little while as it would spread like wild fire once its in. Unless it takes a long time to turn.

I always think thats the biggest con of the lot in Zombie films (assuming TWD/Dawn of the Dead type zombies). With just a few basic precautions it's unlikely anyone infected would take down an entire base, even if they were to hide their infection. They are slow and need to physically bite someone to pass on an infection, which takes a day or more to become lethal. Even something basic like simple locks on bedroom/sleeeping quarter doors would solve them sneaking up on you at night, which would really be the only time they would be much of a danger.

It's the hordes and surprise zombies that are the danger, and more importantly if you're on a secure "base", other survivors trying to get in/steal your resources.

Soldato
What is with all this obsession with zombies anyway?

originally it was just this idea that they were terrifying, but if you look at nature (specifically cordyceps) then it's not so crazy an idea after all.

i guess it's our version of what the americans call the "prepping" mentality- having a plan that you can use when it all goes to hell, doesnt have to be zombies, natural disasters, ww3, mass economic collapse etc we like to think we could make it when all the trappings of our modern society are gone.

Soldato
OP
It wouldn't surprise me that I had spent so long on MW:Remastered that I would emerge, from the house, the zombie curse had been and gone and everywhere would be a lot quieter, and I wouldn't have had a clue....

Soldato
I'd head up on the moors, you can walk all day and not see a single person, so doubt a slow moving zombie would ever be up there. Plenty of cows and sheep to eat, assuming they dont turn into zombies :eek:.

Back
Top Bottom