Poll: Hungarian Grand Prix 2021, Budapest - Race 11/23

Rate the 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
I’m surprised no one took a gamble earlier, but then I don’t think I’ve ever seen a track evolve so quickly. It dried out almost entirely during their formation lap.

Associate
It does seem a bit unfair that drivers end up with penalties through no fault of their own

Its the same for every team though... and we'd then have to have stewards apportion blame - some might be 50/50s some might be 60/40s and then do we want to get the endless appeals over the percentages. Its not perfect as it is but it does work sorta

Associate
Its the same for every team though... and we'd then have to have stewards apportion blame - some might be 50/50s some might be 60/40s and then do we want to get the endless appeals over the percentages. Its not perfect as it is but it does work sorta
Yeap and it would also mean we would see less of any wheel to wheel racing or overtaking, the thing that F1 wanted by introducing DRS etc. as drivers will have to think twice before going into corners together.

Associate
Yeap and it would also mean we would see less of any wheel to wheel racing or overtaking, the thing that F1 wanted by introducing DRS etc. as drivers will have to think twice before going into corners together.

At a time when penalties are also making drivers think twice.. we WANT racing and racers not accountants and penalties

Soldato
I thought they aren't allowed to change the tyres under the red flag conditions anyway? So the first opportunity was after the formation lap?

Nope red flag is the one opportunity you can do it for free. Ruined a few races perfectly poised for tyre wear in the last few laps over the last few years.

Soldato
Not the one I'm thinking of, my mind is going back further. I seem to recall it was Button in a McLaren on much fresher tyres than someone (maybe Vettel in a Ferrari?) at the front. But quite possibly we've had this scenario a few times!

Soldato
Not the one I'm thinking of, my mind is going back further. I seem to recall it was Button in a McLaren on much fresher tyres than someone (maybe Vettel in a Ferrari?) at the front. But quite possibly we've had this scenario a few times!
I'm thinking 2011, where Button in the McLaren in 3rd and Alonso in the Ferrari in 2nd were chasing down Vettel on very old tyres in the Red Bull, having only stopped once.

Vettel was free to change his old tyres during a red flag caused by a crash involving Sutil, Hamilton, Alguersuari and Petrov.

Caporegime
Aston Martin have confirmed their appeal. They say their data shows the car had 1.7L of fuel in it but the FIA hadn't pumped it out.

If there was so much fuel left in then why did Vettel stop out on the track? 1.7L is nearly a laps worth of fuel I think (at full speed).

JRS

JRS

Soldato
If there was so much fuel left in then why did Vettel stop out on the track? 1.7L is nearly a laps worth of fuel I think (at full speed).

They'd need 1L left after that lap for the sample, so that leaves 0.7L max. Which is 0.154 gallons. Hungaroring is 2.722 miles. Meaning on that cooldown lap he'd have had to average 17.675mpg.

I know these hybrids are more efficient, but I'm not sure that they're quite at that level yet.

Associate
The rules state it's up to the team to pump it out. It also states the team cannot remove bodywork to get it out. Can't see this going anywhere.

AM say the pump broke.. if they can be allowed to (with FIA supervision) replace pump, they may well succeed in appeal

Caporegime
AM say the pump broke.. if they can be allowed to (with FIA supervision) replace pump, they may well succeed in appeal

Yeah, but 6.6.3 already deals with the internal pump having problems, and 6.6.4 clearly rules out replacing the pump. I dunno, it seems completely black and white to me that their appeal cannot succeed, but who knows with the FIA.

Back
Top Bottom