Hurricane Helene / Milton

Whilst I suspect there is some hyperbole to try and stress the point that it isnt safe and nobody is coming for them until it has blown over. It is striking to see how many are defying official warnings. I think its a mixture. Some of it will be plain stupidity or stubbornness. Some will have nowhere to go, or just wont have the means to escape. Some will be living on higher ground within the local area or living in Hurricane rated dwellings. I cant be too critical of them, as if I was in that position, as long as I wasnt in the immediate storm surge area I'd probably ride it out myself.
Its the ones who are actively heading to the seafront (as opposed to just riding it out in their homes), in order to get those all important social media hits that amuse me. I'm not sure if its a statement on humans (I wonder if so many people did it in the pre-social media days) or whether its a statement on how social media has greatly increased narcissism in people. Perhaps its a combination of both.

Oh I hear you! I suspect it still happened a lot in the pre-social media days. You will always get those thrill seekers, adrenaline junkies whatever you want to label them as. Maybe not in as many numbers. Social media has had a massive impact on this type of behaviour I think. Thats just society these days.

Dont get me wrong. I kinda get it. Whenever we get "extreme" weather especially in winter. I like to get out in it to experience it too an extent, jump in the car head up in the hills until it gets too sketchy, I love Hill walking in full winter conditions. If there is a clear and present threat to life I'd certainly reconsider. You wouldnt find me on the beach front in that though. Whilst I may be interested in experiencing and taking more risk than the average person. I've still got a sense of respect for my own life and others. I'd never purposely put myself in a position I cant get out of or not prepared to be self sufficient in. That said as I get older I appreciate more watching these things from the position of comfort rather actively participating in person... :cry:
I also wouldnt be caught dead doing it for social media. Vast majority of my experiences in life are done for my own memories and my own satisfaction. Whilst I dont completely abstain from social media, rarely actively participate in it.

Oh I hear you! I suspect it still happened a lot in the pre-social media days. You will always get those thrill seekers, adrenaline junkies whatever you want to label them as. Maybe not in as many numbers. Social media has had a massive impact on this type of behaviour I think. Thats just society these days.

I remember Katrina or one of the UK storms, someone was out windsurfing.

I remember Katrina or one of the UK storms, someone was out windsurfing.
The thrill seeking nature of that actually makes a lot more sense to me than the I must get an extra 1000 hits on my instagram/snapchat/youtube/twitch/tiktok site by standing on the shore in a hurricane mentality.

Maybe I am just too old to "get" social media :)

Tornado/waterspout right over the bridge camera.. but there's cars driving through it lol.
wiq1iXz.png

Last edited:

Hurricane Milton expected to strike at midnight

The most recent Hurricane Milton advisory from the National Hurricane Center has just come in.

It is now forecast to be at category three strength at landfall closer to 12am midnight (05:00 GMT), over southern Sarasota, Florida.

It has also increased in speed as it churns towards Florida, notching 17mph (10 km/h).​

Here an update from BBC

Dad is lucky Milton is about to hit now, in around 3 weeks time he was meant be in Melbourne, Florida setting up his 1982 Airstream 310 RV. Think he might wait a little until this all blows over!

Back
Top Bottom