Hurricane Helene / Milton

the flip side to that is maybe some people cant evacuate, disabled, those without cars.
I used to look after my Mum, with advanced dementia and complex care needs, with no nearby relatives, and I don't drive. I dreaded even "trivial" power cuts or problems with water supply/drainage, let alone anything on this scale. It's easy to imagine options when I'm, as now, on my own again... I could easily walk ten miles inland if necessary. But the logistics of moving vulnerable folk around is daunting at best.

Absolutely bonkers that they get battered by one hurricane and then there's an even bigger one to follow it shortly after. What a scary place to live.

I was there visiting my friend a few years ago in Sarasota and did a whole road trip circling Florida and also going down to the Keys. 99% of the time it is a beautiful and great place to live but living anywhere down there in that region you know every few years there's risk of being in the path of a big one around this time of year.

I was sat watching his stream for a couple of hours last night. He's really good at what he does.

Ye Max is very good recommend you also got Ryan Hall he has a big team and you see a bigger impact.

Does look like met will be right on ex hurricane kirk. Looks like it will miss UK entirely.

Can't imagine what destructive force something like this one would do to the UK. It would be absolutely devastating

Last edited:
Does look like met will be right on ex hurricane kirk. Looks like it will miss UK entirely.

Can't imagine what destructive force something like this one would do to the UK. It would be absolutely devastating
Pretty sure 99% of our buildings will still be standing after one of these hit us. Flood damage and roof tiles blown off. Oh a few trees and fences. Florida is made of wood and paper.

Pretty sure 99% of our buildings will still be standing after one of these hit us. Flood damage and roof tiles blown off. Oh a few trees and fences. Florida is made of wood and paper.
Since 92, that have much stricter codes on building houses around coastal areas due to hurricanes.

But yes, we'd probably lose our roofs and windows, but the rest of the house will be pretty much unaffected, unless you're on flood plains, then the amount of water could cause movement at a guess.

Since 92, that have much stricter codes on building houses around coastal areas due to hurricanes.

But yes, we'd probably lose our roofs and windows, but the rest of the house will be pretty much unaffected, unless you're on flood plains, then the amount of water could cause movement at a guess.
Thats good to know about new building regs. Lest hope they work.

You will die !

Yet I am seeing SO many live streams of people stood on the beachfronts filming, even now there are still people turning up to film themselves at the seafronts. Humans eh.

You will die !

Yet I am seeing SO many live streams of people stood on the beachfronts filming, even now there are still people turning up to film themselves at the seafronts. Humans eh.
Whilst I suspect there is some hyperbole to try and stress the point that it isnt safe and nobody is coming for them until it has blown over. It is striking to see how many are defying official warnings. I think its a mixture. Some of it will be plain stupidity or stubbornness. Some will have nowhere to go, or just wont have the means to escape. Some will be living on higher ground within the local area or living in Hurricane rated dwellings. I cant be too critical of them, as if I was in that position, as long as I wasnt in the immediate storm surge area I'd probably ride it out myself.

Back
Top Bottom