I got me 3D printer, awesome!

Soldato
Finally dusted off my printers and dug deep into calibrating then properly.

90hrs later I've printed a 500mm long pelican drop ship from halo for the lad. Biggest print I've done in the 2 years of 3d printing. I've just ordered an anycubic Chiron to accompany my Ender 3 and TEVO Flash. Love this hobby

Soldato
Well I've been trying out a few materials, Tough PLA, seems very nice. Filamentive Cosmic Blue, also very nice build and looks really good finish on 0.1 layer. Also tried their ASA in white. Not happy with the result yet on that one, adhesion layer to layer doesn't seem very good. The printer has pre reconfigure settings for it. I've up the temp by 5 deg and it helped, next need to check out the cooling profile, see if it's over cooling. So more learning to be had.
Still to try is Carbon loaded PETG and some Ultimaker TPU. Oh and wacky one Filamentive "wood".. Believe it's PLA loaded with wood fibre, you can sand it etc.

Now have a backlog of CAD work to generate some new designs and parts to print, well appear to have time to do it for a little longer.

Soldato

I started to get some bad layer lines on the centre section after trying some new filament. That's when I did all the calibration. The centre alone took 20hrs to print so it'll have to do :p

Still having issues with the lines though. E-steps are perfect, filament diameter is 1.75 to 1.72. I've dropped speeds and done a temperature tower and retraction test.

Might need to swap the nozzle out but failing that I'll have to check all belts, frame squareness, eccentric nuts then check the Z Axis for wobble. Joys....

Man of Honour
Well I've been trying out a few materials, Tough PLA, seems very nice. Filamentive Cosmic Blue, also very nice build and looks really good finish on 0.1 layer. Also tried their ASA in white. Not happy with the result yet on that one, adhesion layer to layer doesn't seem very good. The printer has pre reconfigure settings for it. I've up the temp by 5 deg and it helped, next need to check out the cooling profile, see if it's over cooling. So more learning to be had.
Still to try is Carbon loaded PETG and some Ultimaker TPU. Oh and wacky one Filamentive "wood".. Believe it's PLA loaded with wood fibre, you can sand it etc.

Now have a backlog of CAD work to generate some new designs and parts to print, well appear to have time to do it for a little longer.

I've had good results with the wood stuff - though I've only used it really for printing some stock Groot models and a couple of other minor things.

Also used some marble style stuff - came out fairly well though a bit hit and miss getting it to a nice smooth finish - sometimes it comes off really well other times just seems to make the striations more and more noticeable whatever you do.

I'm actually surprised how well both of those do as you wouldn't really think it.

Also messed about with TPU and polycarbonate stuff but my printer doesn't really do the temperatures they need :(

Soldato
I’ve just got myself an Ender 5. Great printer that I’m very happy with apart from one niggle. The ridged nut (hobbed gear) that turns to feed the filament keeps coming off despite repeated tightening of the necessary screws. Inevitably this happens mid print... Is this a common problem? And is there any way to stop it coming off?

Man of Honour
I’ve just got myself an Ender 5. Great printer that I’m very happy with apart from one niggle. The ridged nut (hobbed gear) that turns to feed the filament keeps coming off despite repeated tightening of the necessary screws. Inevitably this happens mid print... Is this a common problem? And is there any way to stop it coming off?

Just generic advice so might not be relevant here but you possibly want a shakeproof washer in there.

Associate

No it should be coming off, the only screw that would affect the driver gear is the small set screw in the actually gear, check it's not worn and on the flat of the extruder motor.

Soldato
It’s brand new hence my concern. There are two small screws on the gear, both of which have been repeatedly tightened, and one is against the flat part of the extruded motor. The small screws loosen up very easy even during the course of one print. I don’t think they should be doing that!

Man of Honour
Advertised and sold to me as a genuine e3d titan aero. It was cheap at £55 but in thinking it is a copy.

Keep it or send it back? Looks good quality and is all there.

Associate
It’s brand new hence my concern. There are two small screws on the gear, both of which have been repeatedly tightened, and one is against the flat part of the extruded motor. The small screws loosen up very easy even during the course of one print. I don’t think they should be doing that!

No, it's shouldn't come loose that quick, if at all.

Soldato
@bulb66 what would you consider to be one of the best self built printers for circa 250x250x250 build volume?

I keep checking out the prusa kit build but it’s a fairly big £wedge. I have an ender3 and cr10 which are good but I’d like something a bit more robust.

I can do design work and have a laser cutter and manual lathe & milling machine so I can make most things.

I remember checking out a Dbot? ages ago is that still decent?

Associate
@bulb66 what would you consider to be one of the best self built printers for circa 250x250x250 build volume?

I keep checking out the prusa kit build but it’s a fairly big £wedge. I have an ender3 and cr10 which are good but I’d like something a bit more robust.

I can do design work and have a laser cutter and manual lathe & milling machine so I can make most things.

I remember checking out a Dbot? ages ago is that still decent?

Good question, I'll have a a think on it and come back to you.

I like the D-Bot, strong frame/printed parts design but now the stock D-Bot is out of date in terms of v-slot wheels, extruder and electronics.

James.

Back
Top Bottom