I hate Royal Mail

Soldato
As much as I want to keep the traditional "Royal Mail", the one delivering letters from one end of the country to the other was a relatively small amount, I also would love to see the thieving, lazy Royal Mail smashed and replaced with a privatised service.

It wouldnt be very nice for people outside major cities who would only get mail once or twice a week cos it wouldnt be profitable to deliver more often.

I dont see many couriers getting 5*s on here that often either!!!!

Soldato
ANYTHING of value should be sent special delivery which is next day priority mail with insurance. If that doesnt get delivered the onus is on the Post Office to cover you for the loss.

For example if you sent a document to a large firm in a large building and they claimed they didnt recieve it, the recorded delivery slip would prove it had been delivered and they had lost it internally.

But in this case the royal mail *is* losing it internally (the post office are clearly acting as the agent of Royal Mail in this transaction), and he does have proof he gave it to the post office.

It's like popping into OcUK to hand your RMA over at the counter, getting proof you gave it to them and then them losing it and telling you to do one because you didn't take out 'losing it in the warehouse' insurance.

Soldato
Hope you have the IMEI number written down, may as well stop the phone working if someone has stolen it.

Edit: Just read the royal mail website, what I posted was wrong :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
It's like popping into OcUK to hand your RMA over at the counter, getting proof you gave it to them and then them losing it and telling you to do one because you didn't take out 'losing it in the warehouse' insurance.

You are right - this is an absolutely perfect analogy. This is exactly what they have done and exactly why the whole insurance issue is pretty unreasonable.

Soldato
But in this case the royal mail *is* losing it internally (the post office are clearly acting as the agent of Royal Mail in this transaction), and he does have proof he gave it to the post office.

Oh yeah sorry. My bad. I was just speaking in general terms.

Im not sure whats going on where they would suggest dumping something of value in a bag and not following it up. It strikes me that in this case they are effectively going against their own advice but im not familiar with how the process works with the phone other than what Fox has said.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14943256 said:
You are right - this is an absolutely perfect analogy. This is exactly what they have done and exactly why the whole insurance issue is pretty unreasonable.

Hang on. If im reading this right then they are totally in the wrong.

You sending it recorded delivery is completely irrelevant to the process.

As long as you followed THEIR guidlines then i would respectfully suggest you pursue it further.

If the onus was on you to send it back then you wouldnt have a leg to stand on but if you simply did what you were told then i fail to see why you are out of pocket?

Am i missing something obvious here?

Permabanned
Smart fox is not smart.

Luckily I have never had a problem with Royal Mail but I always insure to the nines and get POP make notes of items sent.

Makes you wonder how much gold is going missing in the freepost gold envelopes these companies are sending.

Plus anyone wonder who thought it was a good idea to get Postman Pat that delivers the Queens mail to star in an advert about being incompetent.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've said this before, if they offered insurance against their incompetence by default it would just cost that much more in the 1st place, so why didn't you pay it?

The reason our postage is so expensive is because we are on of the only countries in the world with a to-door postal service.

Soldato
The reason our postage is so expensive is because we are on of the only countries in the world with a to-door postal service.

Sometimes it's not even a to-door service it's a to-doorstep service. I keep finding parcels left on my doorstep even though there's always somebody at home and some of the packages are even small enough to fit through the letterbox.

Associate
Fox if you're seriously considering pursuing this you might be best going to the company who are buying your phone off you; they paid the majority of the postage and may be a bit more sympathetic to your plight. They must have procedures in place for this sort of thing.

Btw it's worth bearing in mind that RM is a national postal service, not a courier. Unfortunately you get what you pay for - If you'd sent this by DHL or Citylink et al. then you would've paid a lot more but there'd be a much lower risk of your phone going walkies.

Sometimes it's not even a to-door service it's a to-doorstep service. I keep finding parcels left on my doorstep even though there's always somebody at home and some of the packages are even small enough to fit through the letterbox.

Well get on the blower to the DO about it and make a complaint instead of whining on an internet forum.

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;14942486 said:
The purpose of this thread is simply to allow me to rant so I can feel better.

I sent something via recorded delivery about a month ago. It took them 2 weeks to deliver it and didn't update the tracking at all until it had arrived.

I worked out that they delivered it at a third of the speed that a snail moves. Good work. :p

They also charged me £8 handling fee on a couple of t-shirts I bought from an American website. The customs charge was only £3.23. :(

Soldato
That sucks, Id be fuming about that too.
A similar thing happened to me when I got my C905 delivered brand new from O2. I got a note saying it was in the depot ready to collect, when I got there, they said it had gone missing, and that there had been a spell of employees stealing mobile phones. So I had to wait for a week whilst Citylink and O2 sorted out the problem, and I got another one delivered to the O2 shop because that was the last time I ever used Citylink for anything.

Soldato
did the post office person who server you not say ''is it worth over 30quid'' ? they do every single time i post something

the sickener for you will be that it only costs an extra quid to get it insured up to 200....

i personally wont send anything of any value unless i use special delivery. its only an extra few quid and its as good as impossible for it to get stolen/lost. every single person who touches the package has to sign for it and if it go's missing the last person to sign for it gets the blame. used to always worry like mad about losing them when i did deliverys for RM. can be pretty much an instant dismissal

recorded just goes with normal post all the way through the system. it will be in a sack or a box under a counter in a depo somewhere :(

edit - oh, just read your post about it being royal mail and you giving it to the post office. odds are more in your favour i guess and imo it should be the post office paying for this. especially when youve got proof that you gave it to them

Last edited:
Soldato
I sent my N82 to them just using the 2nd class envelope they sent me, arrived fine less than a week later with £100 in my Paypal account. Bad luck I guess.

Soldato
How come our Post office is so bad?
Does the French or Dutch work any better?
I know the German post is likely to be excellent, so what's up with ours?
ours is still up there with the best. when you think about it its amazing what they do and how quickly and cheaply they do it

and blame the EU for all its problems. it worked perfectly until they decided that it was an evil monopoly

they made it easier for european companys like TNT and DHL to take over the short distance and company to company mail (the most profitable stuff because it doesnt require mass infasructure/networks) and then left royal mail with all the crap and sent them into bankruptcy

Back
Top Bottom