• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 6700k Owners Club

Soldato
... only issue is since getting the 980ti my PSU started to make coil whine like a buzzing when playing games, even tried bought a 1000w high end one and still get it although abit lower, i feel like i shouldnt have to live with this the amount of money spend and on high end product

Unluckily coil whine can be a sod to totally eliminate. It's possibly not even the fault of the PSU directly (as I think you already suspect). It can be the combination of the Graphics card, Motherboard and PSU causing it. It can be almost impossible to totally eliminate.

Life :mad:

Soldato
Unluckily coil whine can be a sod to totally eliminate. It's possibly not even the fault of the PSU directly (as I think you already suspect). It can be the combination of the Graphics card, Motherboard and PSU causing it. It can be almost impossible to totally eliminate.

Life :mad:

yup its a nightmare , annoying thing is paying for such so called high end it should be perfect, should i have to leave with it, never had this before , although only bought AMD before cards and cpu before, i think its the graphics card but what makes it make the PSU do it, would love to have access to many different PSU to go through

on a different note got cpu at 4.6ghz at 1.32v and cache at 4.4ghz :D

Associate
Finally got round to trying to o/c my chip. Results below.

Some observations:

The first row is everything at default settings and you can see that 'auto' voltage is a bit crazy, especially considering 4.5GHz could potentially be stable at around 1.2v.

I haven't done any long term stability tests yet, just quick and dirty tests to get a feel for how the chip can ramp up.

My heroic attempts at running 4.8GHz failed spectacularly.

I will see how 4.7GHz fares overnight, but the temps are a bit high for long term use. Quite happy with results so far.

bcwUD7i.png

Soldato
Finally got round to trying to o/c my chip. Results below.

Some observations:

The first row is everything at default settings and you can see that 'auto' voltage is a bit crazy, especially considering 4.5GHz could potentially be stable at around 1.2v.

I haven't done any long term stability tests yet, just quick and dirty tests to get a feel for how the chip can ramp up.

My heroic attempts at running 4.8GHz failed spectacularly.

I will see how 4.7GHz fares overnight, but the temps are a bit high for long term use. Quite happy with results so far.

Good job.

Nice table, think I've seen this layout somewhere before.

As you say "'auto' voltage is a bit crazy,". Their all like that sir (as they say).
EDIT
Though on reflection.... That voltage on auto does look a little high. Mine is around 1.224v after installing the latest BIOS for my MSI board, it was a bit higher than this before. Certainly not anywhere near as high as you are quoting!

Think the column for max observed Vcore is the important one though.

Keep us informed :)

PS. And this is before considering playing around with the blck

Last edited:
Associate
Out of all you owners, would you lot recommend i upgrade to Skylake from a 4790k, i have means to use the mobo/processor in another guest rig so it wont go to waste, but DDR4 and Skylakes lower power usage and such seem like a good way of future proofing.

Will there be a 4790k equivelent of skylake one day or is the 6700 pretty much it?

Soldato
OP
Out of all you owners, would you lot recommend i upgrade to Skylake from a 4790k, i have means to use the mobo/processor in another guest rig so it wont go to waste, but DDR4 and Skylakes lower power usage and such seem like a good way of future proofing.

Will there be a 4790k equivelent of skylake one day or is the 6700 pretty much it?

I'd only recommend this if you had a burning need of the 4790k/z97 to be used in your guest system.

You won't notice the difference between a 4790k and a 6700k in games at all, maybe in rendering/productivity benchmarks you'll see a difference.

The Z170 chipset is indeed more futureproof than Z97 though. DDR4 as you said, DMI 3.0, native NVMe, 20 PCI-E V3 lanes on the PCH for high speed PCI-E SSD's etc.

Soldato
Guys could one of you do a quick run of Cinebench R15 at stock and maybe overclocked but only single core please? i'd like to see how the single core performance compares to the 5820K.

Cheers

Associate
Guys could one of you do a quick run of Cinebench R15 at stock and maybe overclocked but only single core please? i'd like to see how the single core performance compares to the 5820K.

Cheers

4.7GHz I scored 198

lLvby2H.jpg

So I OC'd today. Running 4.7 at 1.36v. Tried 4.8 but needed way over 1.41v and temps become a problem then, and probably degradation.

Temps are quite good, as expected under a H110i GTX. Load temp is about 64c. At stock volts (1.27v) load temp barely hit 50c.

Last edited:
Associate
Here is my 6700K

4.9GHz IBT

67694_4_9_ibt.jpg

Under load was 1.42V

67694_nevtelen.jpg

Firestrike Extreme 6700K @4.9GHz
1550/8100

67694_4_9_1550-8100_sli_fs_ex.jpg

The processor is watercooled.
Mobo is MSI Gaming M7

Last edited:
Associate
Hey Guys -
I've put my new Skylake build together and pretty happy with it so far.
I am not very clued up on overclocking and have been reading through some of the guides, so will hopefully get there soon.

Have put my parts in my signature.
Going to read through this thread fully but would be interested to see the temps people are getting when OC'ing.
Many thanks !

Back
Top Bottom