• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 6700k Owners Club

Soldato
Hey Guys -
I've put my new Skylake build together and pretty happy with it so far.
I am not very clued up on overclocking and have been reading through some of the guides, so will hopefully get there soon.

Have put my parts in my signature.
Going to read through this thread fully but would be interested to see the temps people are getting when OC'ing.
Many thanks !

just read the thread and will see what the average is, most can do 4.5ghz on stock voltage, so around 1.30-1-33v , i myself have it at 4.7ghz 1.376v you cooler should be fine, i myself use the D14, had it for years on my old build still preforms great, and gives great temps,

Associate
Hey Guys -
I've put my new Skylake build together and pretty happy with it so far.
I am not very clued up on overclocking and have been reading through some of the guides, so will hopefully get there soon.

Have put my parts in my signature.
Going to read through this thread fully but would be interested to see the temps people are getting when OC'ing.
Many thanks !

You've got a perfect mobo for overclocking.
For serious overclocking you'll need better cooler.

Associate
Cheers Uscool and akoska07 for the replies. Wish I had read some of this thread before I start messing around with the BIOS lol.
I followed an OC Guide by EVGA and they advise on changing the CPU Multiplier but changing from Auto to Adaptive.
I assume Adaptive is similar to Auto in that the BIOS/Mobo decides on how much Vol to apply ?
What options on HWINFO show the VCore applied ?

Soldato
OP
Here is my 6700K

4.9GHz IBT

67694_4_9_ibt.jpg

Under load was 1.42V

67694_nevtelen.jpg

Firestrike Extreme 6700K @4.9GHz
1550/8100

67694_4_9_1550-8100_sli_fs_ex.jpg

The processor is watercooled.
Mobo is MSI Gaming M7

Awesome overclock result there, good job :)

Associate
Thanks Guys!

I am so happy with this chip. :)

The BATCH#
L520C033

I tried today 5GHz as well,but isn't full stable.
IBT wasn't stable even for one minute.

67694_5ghz_32m_spi_2.jpg

67694_5ghz_aida_stress.jpg

But i am still happy with 4.9GHz 24/7. :)

Associate
1.456 voltage for 24/7 seems like a pretty high voltage to me, taking in account 1.52V is max operating voltage for 6700K in Intel's datasheet.

Associate
I haven't see that datasheet yet,i just saw on some OC forums,as we can use 1.45V for 24/7.

Well, 6700K has been in the market for less than 2 months. Forums are not a reliable source about the longevity or degradation index of these cpus. At least not yet.

But of course, you can enjoy your cpu the way you like. ;D

Associate
And if cpu does blow up, you got 3 years warranty to get a new one ;)

Of course, you would need to have bought Intel's Tuning Protection Plan for that.

Anyway, it's highly unlikely any CPU will just blow. Thing is, you can degrade its overclocking capabilities really fast if you play with high voltages/temperatures.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Of course, you would need to have bought Intel's Tuning Protection Plan for that.

Anyway, it's highly unlikely any CPU will just blow. Thing is, you can degrade its overclocking capabilities really fast if you play with high voltages/temperatures.

Gibbo from this store/forum already said that they accept returns of CPU's no matter how they died, whether it be from too much voltage or whatnot.

It would cost Intel far too much to examine each CPU returned to determine the cause of death.

Soldato
Hi, i have mine at 4.7ghz cache 4.4 at 1.376v , when stressed it does jump to 1.392 but only for second, mostly stays at 1.376 , im using the Noctua D14 CPU cooler

running aid64 for 1hr i got this temps, my rooms warmer then usual today with it being quite warm today , on idle cores at around 18c-20c , in real use it wont be stressed as much as this, are these temps fine ? also whats the difference between core temp and the CPUTIN temp in HW Monitor, that hardly passes 40c

Scau8KC.jpg

Associate
Gibbo from this store/forum already said that they accept returns of CPU's no matter how they died, whether it be from too much voltage or whatnot.

It would cost Intel far too much to examine each CPU returned to determine the cause of death.

That's a great policy. Congrats to OCuk.

Associate
Just curious if any current owners know, will there be any sort of upgrade path for the z170? Or does it simply end with the 6700k?

(Just noticed that broadwell-e will be x99 and skylake-e will be using a new chipset)

Associate
Well, 6700K has been in the market for less than 2 months. Forums are not a reliable source about the longevity or degradation index of these cpus. At least not yet.

But of course, you can enjoy your cpu the way you like. ;D

Hi!

I am not really a beginner of the overclock. :)
It will not blowing up or get degradation.
You can see this cpu 1 yr later if i still have it. If not me,someone else will enjoy it. ;)
I had 4770K 4790K as well,i delidded not only both of them.
Just check out my yt channel: type my nickname there. ;)

I've been overclocked so many computer parts,and all of them still alive in excellent condition. :)

Associate
Just curious if any current owners know, will there be any sort of upgrade path for the z170? Or does it simply end with the 6700k?

(Just noticed that broadwell-e will be x99 and skylake-e will be using a new chipset)

There might be a 6750K or 7600K (pure guess, based on previous releases).

Either way, if current speed increments over old releases remain, it wouldn't be worth upgrading from a 6700k.

Soldato
OP

We'll have another generation of CPU's after Skylake, it will be called 'Kabylake', due out 2H 2016 last I read and it will be compatible on Z170.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom