Icecold's mobility thread

Caporegime
Man of Honour
OP
Easy should mean healthy in this instance, provided you're doing them properly.

Also, you don't have "issues" with your anterior core.

Soldato
I'm just looking and strengthening any weak spots I have, hence all the questions about variations on exercises. Like I did with my squat when I was looking my weak spot in it (which turned out to be everything :p). My squat is coming a long nicely too, in terms of my new found mobility, thanks again Ice :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Easy should mean healthy in this instance, provided you're doing them properly.

Also, you don't have "issues" with your anterior core.

Could you elaborate? If you have a torn muscle or a previous injury for example, would that not be an 'issue'? :p

Or are you just saying the anterior core doesn't have issues as it's not a single thing or something?

Man of Honour
OP
I'm really struggling to work out what you're talking about.

Should a person take more care exercising an area they've previously injured? Yes, obviously.

Given that Deception stated that he'd already been doing planks, are the suggestions I gave good progressions while remaining safe? Yes.

How do I know? Because I've actually done them, rather than read an article about them.

I'm just looking and strengthening any weak spots I have, hence all the questions about variations on exercises. Like I did with my squat when I was looking my weak spot in it (which turned out to be everything :p). My squat is coming a long nicely too, in terms of my new found mobility, thanks again Ice :)
No problem :)

Your core should respond relatively quickly. After only a month or so of doing roll outs consistently I'm finding I need extra training stimulus. I'm thinking of stealing FF's idea of adding holds at max reach.

Caporegime
I'm really struggling to work out what you're talking about.

Should a person take more care exercising an area they've previously injured? Yes, obviously.

Given that Deception stated that he'd already been doing planks, are the suggestions I gave good progressions while remaining safe? Yes.

How do I know? Because I've actually done them, rather than read an article about them.

I merely asked originally if it was advisable to throw someone in doing ab-wheel work straight away if they haven't been doing much / any core work (Not directed at deception, I was talking in general) as opposed to say doing planks then Ab-Dollys or something...

It was all in reply to Doms initial response of:

No just do them, they're easy

Which is why I asked :)

Not sure on your little dig of 'Because ive actually done them instead of read an article' to be honest. No, I haven't done every exercise in the world, which is why I read up on things and ask questions.

EDIT: To clarify, I was basically asking why you would jump from planks to Ab-Wheels instantly :p

Man of Honour
OP
I merely asked originally if it was advisable to throw someone in doing ab-wheel work straight away if they haven't been doing much / any core work (Not directed at deception, I was talking in general) as opposed to say doing planks then Ab-Dollys or something...

It was all in reply to Doms initial response of:

Which is why I asked :)

Not sure on your little dig of 'Because ive actually done them instead of read an article' to be honest. No, I haven't done every exercise in the world, which is why I read up on things and ask questions.

EDIT: To clarify, I was basically asking why you would jump from planks to Ab-Wheels instantly :p
Why did you bring up injuries? It seems as if you just wanted to bring in an arbitrary counter point to Dom's statement... or something. Just very confusing.

Dom's response was completely valid. He's been a rowing coach for 3+ years, so he has the experience to advise.

That wasn't a dig either, it's a simple statement of fact. You won't be able to understand a movement like roll outs without doing them, or without having general experience with core work. I'm not suggesting you try every exercise in the world, but to judge one without trying it and/or without a great deal of experience or knowledge is bordering on ignorant.
Could you point me in the direction of a foam roller please? :) Can't see any mentioned in the op :(
Any EVA, or dense, foam roller.

Caporegime
66fit foam roller.

Ta :)

Any recommendations on size?

Why did you bring up injuries? It seems as if you just wanted to bring in an arbitrary counter point to Dom's statement... or something. Just very confusing.

Dom's response was completely valid. He's been a rowing coach for 3+ years, so he has the experience to advise.

That wasn't a dig either, it's a simple statement of fact. You won't be able to understand a movement like roll outs without doing them, or without having general experience with core work. I'm not suggesting you try every exercise in the world, but to judge one without trying it and/or without a great deal of experience or knowledge is bordering on ignorant.

I was just queering the 'they're easy' part, nothing wrong with asking really. You're right though, I haven't done them because I don't have the means to do them yet which is why I was asking if it was okay to just jump from planks to an ab-roller :)

Accordingly to yourself and dom, it's fine. So ta.

And thanks for the roller tip :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Ta :)

Any recommendations on size?

90" is better if you want to be able to do some of the full back moves, and is reasonably easy to use for all other rolls as long as you have a little extra room. Also 15" diameter is more useful I have found.

Back
Top Bottom