Icecold's mobility thread

Caporegime
Soldato
Finally got somewhat of a deadlift form vid. It was with 140kg, so you can see what it looks like under a bit of weight :)

Immediately from the vid, I can see that my upper half of my back rounds a bit. Also, it doesnt feel like im pulling with my back, but the video looks different.

Soldato
Hope Dom doesn't mind me using his vid but look at this:

Look how tight his back/core is compare to yours. All the way from the set up to the end of the rep.

Compare chin position too! Night and day.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
1. As you take the weight, your chest drops. You need to lock the shoulders back and keep that tight, don't let the chest drop. Ass down chest up, repeat it in your head.
2. Doesn't look like your glutes are coming in. Your legs straighten too soon leaving your back to take the load.

Soldato
1. As you take the weight, your chest drops. You need to lock the shoulders back and keep that tight, don't let the chest drop. Ass down chest up, repeat it in your head.
2. Doesn't look like your glutes are coming in. Your legs straighten too soon leaving your back to take the load.

Cheers LiE, I gathered as much. I hips automatically rise as the weight doesnt start to budge until I hit that position.

I will lower the weight like I did with Squats and keep going for it :)

Man of Honour
OP
Finally got somewhat of a deadlift form vid. It was with 140kg, so you can see what it looks like under a bit of weight :)

Immediately from the vid, I can see that my upper half of my back rounds a bit. Also, it doesnt feel like im pulling with my back, but the video looks different.
Even at the bottom I can tell it isn't going to be pretty ;)

There doesn't seem to be any stiffness in your back/spine/core. You need to be TIGHT, literally squeezing abs/diaphragm/pelvic floor/glutes/lats/erectors as hard as you can. It's like trying to drive force through some cooked pasta as opposed to a steel rod, so much force is absorbed in movement of the spine.

As LiE says, you need to use your glutes and hamstrings a lot more, which will be a little easier it you stick your arse out more (or follow the Starret load ordering sequence...). You need to be locking out explosively too, which starts with a big glute contraction at the beginning of the lift.

Head down too :)

Associate
Hope Dom doesn't mind me using his vid but look at this:

Look how tight his back/core is compare to yours. All the way from the set up to the end of the rep.

Compare chin position too! Night and day.

How dare you!

:p

It's actually a complement to have mine used as a good example :).

Everything has been said :cool:.

Soldato
Even at the bottom I can tell it isn't going to be pretty ;)

There doesn't seem to be any stiffness in your back/spine/core. You need to be TIGHT, literally squeezing abs/diaphragm/pelvic floor/glutes/lats/erectors as hard as you can. It's like trying to drive force through some cooked pasta as opposed to a steel rod, so much force is absorbed in movement of the spine.

As LiE says, you need to use your glutes and hamstrings a lot more, which will be a little easier it you stick your arse out more (or follow the Starret load ordering sequence...). You need to be locking out explosively too, which starts with a big glute contraction at the beginning of the lift.

Head down too :)

haha, it never starts pretty with me or ends well too :p. Its amazing how different it looks when watching it, than when im actually doing it. I was like oh **** what am I doing :eek: when i watched it after.

Although I've noticed that I cant seem to get the bar moving until I raise my hips to that point. Is there anything I can look at to change how I start the lift?

I think Im going to add some hamstring work too (if that would help with the movement, incase they're too tight). Would something like this be a good addition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rj5...DvjVQa1PpcFOq-qJSvqR-V5L_r-JE06pytgnYQYcCgYE=

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
You need to practice the bottom part. Imagine the bar is stuck to the floor and you're trying to push the floor away with your legs. Really push through your feet and consciously keep the ass down.

Soldato
You need to practice the bottom part. Imagine the bar is stuck to the floor and you're trying to push the floor away with your legs. Really push through your feet and consciously keep the ass down.

Cheers, I will just practice the bottom part of the lift for now. I guess I can do something like RDL while I get down the normal deadlift form correct :)

Man of Honour
One thing |I've spotted with a lot of people when doing deads or RDLs or rack pulls etc... is that they let themselves go "loose" at the bottom - which is bad.

I have, after several months of trial and error and investigation, determined that my tightness is definitely hamstring related, possibly with some TFL tightness.

My ITB is fine, glutes are loose, hips are loose, ab and adductors are good and have good mobility, piriformis is good too. I have good mobility with no dependence on other body parts when doing mobility work. It's only apparent when squatting bodyweight as soon as I start adding some load it seems to minimise - but it's still there when I go uber deep. However, I also did some testing and I get to "bone on bone" less than 6 inches below parallel, so it could just be a physical limitation too. However I now know where to look at.

Back
Top Bottom