• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If next year's consoles do 4k/60..

Soldato
It seems that from MS and Sony (although Sony did more talk on this then MS) they are really talking up RT Audio. Something that I've not read anything from SoundBlaster nor MS for PC in any meaningful way. If I want that level of audio fidelity in my PC games how are we going to utilize RT Audio on PC and what hardware will be used to bring it forward?
Imagine the advantage playing the next COD BO game, crossplay, were console players are using RT Audio and we don't...

Right now, in MW, I have to tweak the EQ for my sound so I can get just as good of sound positioning with my cans that console player can get with cheap headphones.

When I originally came from console to pc like 10 years ago the biggest let down on pc was the sound quality.

On xbox 360 every game was Dolby digital 5.1 and the sounds were separated perfectly on my tritton 5.1 headset.

Hopefully they can bring this RT sound you mention to pc, that is something I would really enjoy.

Soldato
What i find interesting is the clock speed on the Gpu side. I would assume that's not going to be maxed due to trying to keep the console part in the optimum power envelope. Desktop RDNA 2 parts could amount to something really good and a big step forward for AMD on the gpu side. A 80cu part with over 2ghz clocks out of the box would be pretty powerful if everything scales up nicely. The xbox series x gpu with Playstation 5 clocks would already be close to 2080ti in theory.

There is still the rumour floating around that Sony has a Pro version that might release with the stock Ps5.
It was rumored that there are 2 versions. But why they didn't announce it today really does put doubt to the truth of it. Perhaps it's still in development, perhaps it's a replacement or perhaps it's not true. Who knows for now. But yeah this press release leaves a lot to be desired. But as it stands on it's own it's still impressive.
I wouldn't worry about specs, per say, for now but what the actual games look like and how they play.
If there are side by side comparisons between games and, for example, they look and play the same will it matter at that point?

When I originally came from console to pc like 10 years ago the biggest let down on pc was the sound quality.

On xbox 360 every game was Dolby digital 5.1 and the sounds were separated perfectly on my tritton 5.1 headset.

Hopefully they can bring this RT sound you mention to pc, that is something I would really enjoy.
Oh yeah, I recall playing Bad Company 2 when I had my "experience" going from console to PC. And I know exactly what you are talking about. Sure, I had 5.1 setup for it. But when I hooked up my PC to my 5.1 receiver my xbox was still miles better. Then I found out Dice used 16bit software audio on PC vs 24 bit hardware audio on console. Even this was very noticeable. 24bit hardware on console was very immersive. Now we gotta deal with RT Audio on console? Oh boy, not looking good for cross platform competitive gaming.

Associate
What i find interesting is the clock speed on the Gpu side. I would assume that's not going to be maxed due to trying to keep the console part in the optimum power envelope. Desktop RDNA 2 parts could amount to something really good and a big step forward for AMD on the gpu side. A 80cu part with over 2ghz clocks out of the box would be pretty powerful if everything scales up nicely. The xbox series x gpu with Playstation 5 clocks would already be close to 2080ti in theory.

There is still the rumour floating around that Sony has a Pro version that might release with the stock Ps5.
It's interesting that the early leak of 36 CU's was accurate, but the clock speed is much higher than expected. I'm wondering if the XBOX specs took them by surprise and they had to push the clocks higher than they wanted, and if most games will be able to run at those clocks.

Soldato

Not really something I’ve ever personally thought about moving from console to pc several years ago for gaming. Although I do still use all current systems.

One of the biggest upgrades I’ve ever made in terms of both music and games has been my essence stx2. Absolute insanity in 7.1 mode with a stereo grade headset for music and games. Real big wow moment both when I upgraded from cheap console type turtlebeech headset. And when I got the soundcard.

Even gaming wise with decent speakers it’s insane.

Soldato
@EastCoastHandle
DF said:
On a features level, Cerny reveals features that suggest parity with other upcoming AMD and AMD-derived products based on the RDNA 2 technology. A new block known as the Geometry Engine offers developers unparalleled control over triangles and other primitives, and easy optimisation for geometry culling. Functionality extends to the creation of 'primitive shaders' which sounds very similar to the mesh shaders found in Nvidia Turing and upcoming RDNA 2 GPUs.

While Cerny doesn't mention technologies such as machine learning support or variable rate shading, PS5 does indeed deliver hardware-accelerated ray tracing via its Intersection Engine, which Cerny says is "based on the same strategy as AMD's upcoming PC GPUs". There had been speculation of an external block, but that's not the case - like next-gen Navi and Xbox Series X, the RT hardware is built into the shaders and so fully integrated. Similar to the RDNA implementation, PS5 will have access to the same kind of RT implementations we've seen in the PC space - reflections, ambient occlusion, shadows and global illumination are a good fit.

Soldato

PC has much better quality that is lossless PCM you just need a device that handles it. HDMI for example can pass over full lossless 7.1 high quality surround sound.

Compressed sounds like DTS and dolby digital are nothing against lossless.

Soldato
Everyone's focusing on TF but don't forget memory bandwidth is crucial as well. ;)

I think it's gonna be a case of checker-board 4K vs real 4K again. Though I imagine it's also gonna be $399 vs $499 so in the end Sony's gonna "win" again, because ultimately their focus is more on keeping their existing customers so a lower price is going to be more important than more power, especially since the libraries can be maintained.

Soldato
Good to know, thanks for the insight :)

Thanks!

Blame Creative for this - they screwed over Aureal who had better audio technology. Nvidia also had a fantastic audio DSP called SoundStorm which was fantastic too,but Creative and Realtek had too much sway for anything to change.

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
399 v499 Oo yeah id say more like 499 v 599 at least. unless both of them are going to take a BIG hit.

Soldato
Go with a 5700XT then. Cheaper and just as fast.

It’s a shame about current RT perf but it is 1st gen. No doubt ampere possibly even navi 2 will have something far better. But at the end of the day if it gave us RT with no perf loss every man and his dog would want one, as it does work well. Just a shame it hasn’t.

Well you guys convinced me, I had look round and managed to get msi evolke 5700xt for 299 with res 3 and monster hunter ice.

Looking forward to resident evil 3 next week and looking forward to trying out freesync on this Samsung q8dn. I have never tried freesync or gsync before.

should keep me going nicely until this next gen arrives and give me the extra frames I want.

Hopefully if I get any driver issues I can sort it out.

Soldato
evoke has a few issues but minor stuff thermally, nothing to worry about.

Yeah I had read issues about the msi evolke cards but I have big decent case with good air flow and will under volt it.

The card I have now is only the bottom end pallit dual cooler so it shouldn't be much worse.

I do like the gold colour though, matches my team group ssd drive.

Caporegime
It seems that from MS and Sony (although Sony did more talk on this then MS) they are really talking up RT Audio. Something that I've not read anything from SoundBlaster nor MS for PC in any meaningful way. If I want that level of audio fidelity in my PC games how are we going to utilize RT Audio on PC and what hardware will be used to bring it forward?
Imagine the advantage playing the next COD BO game, crossplay, were console players are using RT Audio and we don't...

Right now, in MW, I have to tweak the EQ for my sound so I can get just as good of sound positioning with my cans that console player can get with cheap headphones.
Aureal were doing 3D Audio and Creative killed them with lawyers. They then bought Aureal's IP for peanutes and buried it.

Is why many of us will never buy a Creative product as long as we live.

Various sources admitted when the dust settled Aureal wasn't infringing on any of Creative's patents, but Creative knew they didn't have the money to fight a legal battle, so they sank them with spurious legal suites. And then picked over their carcass.

America's legal system sucks, and Creative are morally bankrupt. As well as making some of the worst drivers (bloated crapware) the world has ever seen.

I wouldn't pee on Creative to put out a fire.

V F

V F

Soldato

Can't say I had that problem with a good soundcard and headphones since it was connected via analogue.

Aureal were doing 3D Audio and Creative killed them with lawyers. They then bought Aureal's IP for peanutes and buried it.

Is why many of us will never buy a Creative product as long as we live.

Various sources admitted when the dust settled Aureal wasn't infringing on any of Creative's patents, but Creative knew they didn't have the money to fight a legal battle, so they sank them with spurious legal suites. And then picked over their carcass.

America's legal system sucks, and Creative are morally bankrupt. As well as making some of the worst drivers (bloated crapware) the world has ever seen.

I wouldn't pee on Creative to put out a fire.

Erm, if it wasn't for Creative, I wouldn't have experienced the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude. Which was one of the best cards for its time. Microsoft killed it off with Windows 10 19xx.

Nvidia had SoundStorm too,but Creative and Realtek had the market,so that went no where either.

SoundStorm was also fantastic for its time.

Caporegime
Erm, if it wasn't for Creative, I wouldn't have experienced the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude. Which was one of the best cards for its time. Microsoft killed it off with Windows 10 19xx.
Creative's technology was years (and years) behind Aureal's A3D. Read up on it.

Creative killed the more advanced tech because they knew it Aureal would sink them with their superior products.

Creative then acquired and dropped Aureal's A3D and pushed the - vastly inferior - EAX on game developers.

Before Aureal were killed game devs were moving to A3D in droves. Creative sucks.

V F

V F

Soldato
Creative's technology was years (and years) behind Aureal's A3D. Read up on it.

Creative killed the more advanced tech because they knew it Aureal would sink them with their superior products.

Creative then acquired and dropped Aureal's A3D and pushed the - vastly inferior - EAX on game developers.

Before Aureal were killed game devs were moving to A3D in droves. Creative sucks.

I'm aware, I used to swear by the Aureal Vortex 3D (still have the card) but it still doesn't deny the fact that how great the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude was.

V F

V F

Soldato
I had an Nforce2 motherboard with my XP2800 and the onboard sound was fantastic compared to the bog standard crap at the time.

It was one of the reasons I kept those nForce 2 boards. SoundStorm had a special place in my history. Abit NF7-S 2.0.

I was gutted when SoundStorm was to be no more after that. Then I jumped to the Creative Audigy 2 ZS, which is ironic. I'm using it to this day with Windows 10 1909 from 2003. It still sounds fantastic with the AKG K702 and S.M.S.L sApII AMP.

Back
Top Bottom