Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

The My Book single is cheaper per TB because it doesn't use Reds (in fact they aren't even guaranteed to use WD drives just "WD quality drives", some have come with Barracudas lol). The reason manufacturers often sell enclosures plus drive for less than the retail price of the drives is because it means they can dictate (roughly) the conditions in which a drive is operated which means they can (theoretically) reduce the chance of a failure inside the warranty period.

I.E The MB Duo being a USB-3 enclosure is unlikely to be running 24/7 and can power down when not in use so the drives will have an easier life than ones running 24/7 in an 8 bay NAS. There's also the factor that the drives themselves have no warranty as that is tied to the enclosure and (I know this isn't the case in the MB Duo but it's an anomaly) users normally have to break internal/external seals to remove them thus voiding their warranty completely and removing any threat of a warranty claim on a drive.

It's all calculated, just like car insurance.

That would make sense if it were 10/15% cheaper, but doesn't make sense when you are talking about 40% of the price (including some cost element for the enclosure itself)

The My Book single is cheaper per TB because it doesn't use Reds (in fact they aren't even guaranteed to use WD drives just "WD quality drives", some have come with Barracudas lol).
Data Hoarder sub-reddit and a few other places have a fair amount of info on this. The reports on there indicate that 6TB and below the single drive unit includes WD Blues, above that they tend to include WD Red, white label WD Reds (same specs) or HGST drives which are enterprise disks (HGST was bought by WD a few years back). The rationale for this being that WD don't sell WD Blues in sizes above 6TB and hence use the higher spec drives.

There are some reports of DOA units that include all sorts of strange disks - thinking being that they're either shucked and returned with an old disk or that they're being modified somewhere in the supply chain.

Whilst I've not tested this the single unit can supposedly be shucked quite easily without damaging the case and there are no warranty stickers to break, so the enclosure can be retained and disk reinstalled if it needs to be returned - but the single unit does only have 2 year warranty instead of the 3 years the disks normally have.

Does it basically work as a single 20TB external drive ? or can you use it like NAS ?
It works as an external drive, no network support for NAS (the WD My Cloud has this but is much more expensive) but it does work in Raid 0, 1 or JBOD config.

I'll be using the disks to expand the storage in my NAS :D

I had a sonicare, one of the pretty expensive ones (usb charging case etc) and it gave up just after warranty. Even removed the battery to check if it was that.

Bought a cheaper Oral B to replace it.

My too. It was good for a while, but ours has basically given up on life of late. We've also ordered an Oral B.

Boots currently have buy one get one free on loads of their toothbrushes and stuff, so we ended up ordering one each, which was already half price.

That's stunning, congrats ^^

For me just a minor purchase today :D

20190120-114708.jpg

Nice, I still have my copies of VII and VIII.

You should start a thread when you've done it. I'm desperate to start sailing in the near future. Good luck with it.

Thanks :) I used to sail dinghy's as a kid but had the opportunity to start sailing yachts about 5 years ago through a friend at work, now I'm lucky enough to regularly sail on the south coast with a week or so further afield each year - absolutely recommend it as a pastime! Dinghy sailing is a really good place to start if you don't already sail and very easy to get into - and can open up all sorts of options.

Nice, where are you planning? I grew up sailing all around those places.
I'm joining on the second week at St Peter Port after the boat's been moved from the Solent. The plan at the moment is to head from there over to Carteret then back to St Helier in the Channel Islands before heading down to either St Cast, which I believe is a very new marina with access all states of tide (bit of a luxury in this area :)) or St Malo, followed by a final passage west to Paimpol.
It'll be the first time for me in this area so really looking forward to it.

Never bought a special edition console before so i decided to nerd out to the Kingdom Hearts PS4 Pro (taken on a potato with potato photography skills)

Q3uPgQv.jpg

Jlx3LB8.jpg

I usually think the special consoles look a bit rubbish but I have to say this one looks very nice! Subtle and unique, enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom