• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

(In Win 901) Asteria II: Rearmoured

Soldato
Unfortunately it's aimed more at wood. I reckon I can push it to acrylic but aluminium may be a step too far - don't think the gantry would have the rigidity for it.

Soldato
@Smffy may be able to recommend someone to CNC larger sheets as he's got something in his pipeline too.

What’s the design - if it’s sheet metal I can help point you at somewhere to get it lasered pretty cheap. It depends if it needs milling to add relief to the sheet or just precision cut and bent? If you want large items CNC milled it will be expensive vs laser and bent probably about £40 inc delivery for 3mm Aluminum.

Soldato
OP
Everything's still in planning stage right now, but the main body would be roughly 670x235mm and a back plate around 300x235mm with a 5x10 hole pattern, both in 3mm. Thing is though there's edge chamfering, a few blind holes and some shallow channels cut into it, hence the milling. And then there's the pair of 15mm radius bends :p

And that's just the 1st of the set, I have 2 more scratch builds in my crazy brain that would follow similar specs :D

Soldato
OP
Pictures working again...

ender3pro.jpg

And hopefully I can get this finished and dialed in the weekend :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My very first ATX crimp :D

atx-crimp_1.jpg

atx-crimp_2.jpg

These are proper 18AWG Molex pins on thin-wall 17AWG wire but crimped using a cheap tool I bought purely for Dupont connectors. Annoyingly it looks like the crimp is perfect, but the tool makes a bit of a mess of my SATA pins and I was looking at doing a few double wire crimps with 16AWG pins which my tool won't do, so gotta buy one anyway :(

But still, my very first ATX crimp :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Does look like it came out pretty good. Must be beginners luck - the rest of the 24 pins will be awful! ;-P Plenty of time to ruin your mood and burn your fingers doing shrinkless sleeving yet!

Soldato
OP
What's going to annoy me the most is Paracord is slippy and needs something to hook onto. It'll be fine for the standard cables where I can use the pins, but I have a few push-fit SATA power and solder-only connections. Gonna try a heatshrink base or a dab of superglue methinks.

Need to tidy the house first before I carry on, not even soldered up my PCBs yet! Although the 3D printed bits have come out rather well :)

Soldato
OP
Yeah good point. The superglue would be the tiniest flick of a brush just to hold the Paracord in place before melting (Lutro0 does it in his Paracord guide), but even then it won't have anything to melt onto and hold fast. May have to go heatshrink style on my hard drives, not that you can see the SATA power anyway.

Soldato
Yeah good point. The superglue would be the tiniest flick of a brush just to hold the Paracord in place before melting (Lutro0 does it in his Paracord guide), but even then it won't have anything to melt onto and hold fast. May have to go heatshrink style on my hard drives, not that you can see the SATA power anyway.
Superglue makes some unpleasant vapours when heated, don't get them in your eyes!

Soldato
Gotta huff dem fumes! It'll be fine, according to naysayers and fear mongers I should be dead already with the amount of PLA I've been breathing in with my printer :p
Ok, long term damage aside it'll sting like a ***** ;)

I used to heat guitar frets before removal and theres nothing like a jet of heated cyanoacrylate vapour to the face!

Back
Top Bottom