• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core Ultra 9 285k 'Arrow Lake' Discussion/News ("15th gen") on LGA-1851

Last edited:

Intel Core Ultra 9 24-core “Arrow Lake-S” QS CPU reportedly hits 5.7 GHz clock, 5.4 GHz with all P-cores​

Pretty impressive clocks for a new process & on Intel's first desktop chiplet CPU. Assuming the ~100W multi-core load reduction in power is correct and assuming this thing is stable, it could be promising.

Intel Core Ultra 9 24-core “Arrow Lake-S” QS CPU reportedly hits 5.7 GHz clock, 5.4 GHz with all P-cores​

Pretty impressive clocks for a new process & on Intel's first desktop chiplet CPU. Assuming the ~100W multi-core load reduction in power is correct and assuming this thing is stable, it could be promising.
Even TSMC processes (it is still not 100% clear which chiplets tiles are Intel and which are TSMC for each SKU) 5.7 GHz and even 5.4 Ghz all P-cores does not sound like 100W less power.
Plus multi-chip probably has a power - and possibly a latency - cost.Still October is a lot closer than i was expecting.

Intel are certainly going all in with chiplets tiles - packaging might be the big bottleneck assuming none of the tiles are on nodes with limited availability - maybe the compute tile will be dual sourced to mitigate any node bottlenecks.

Wonder what the BoM will be for this approach? For i9s/Ultra 9 BoM is seldom a big deal but for the lower SKUs it can be.

plenty of clocks for me.
thermals and watts is what i am after. as in lower.
a word salad here. ddr5 6400 i am planning.
ultra oc is not my priority. a nice stable new Intel platform. is.
8 cores this time. :) knowing myself, I'll opt for the 265k

imagining a refresh down the line, same process? no idea.

Last edited:
Socket size is where performance and power saving is being generated now.

Calling it 10nm or 5nm when it’s very mixed technology and effectively 7nm isn’t that important.

They just need to keep their objectives simple and not go running after unnecessary frequency increases.

Good to see DLVR made it.

image.png

Looking very promising, if it's really 100W less all core MT load power than the 14900k!

Beating the 9950X in MT performance without having Hyper-Threading is pretty wild.

gCA2UBm.png

Last edited:
Looking very promising, if it's really 100W less all core MT load power than the 14900k!

Beating the 9950X in MT performance without having Hyper-Threading is pretty wild.

gCA2UBm.png

Exciting stuff, obviously take with a grain of salt but if its even close to these results i'll be happy. I'm still interested in a Bartlett-S 12 P core cpu though too for an absolute powerhouse for gaming if that ever becomes reality.

gCA2UBm.png
But hybrid cores are not without issues. Sure Skymont is far close to the P cores IPC which should make things easier. My work Alder Lake laptop has absolutely horrible SQL performance so much so that that 10C/12T is about FOUR times with stone complex queries compared to the old Haswell 2C/4T laptop. I even tried the latest MS SQL (which we can't currently use) but it was the same. Totally turning off E cores improved things massively there - it then "only" took 150% the time which the old Haswell over took - but then everything else was slow. For a 15W Alder Lake CPU it also throttles on all but its 90W supply while the 37W Haswell CPU was fine on a 65W supply.

That is extreme and not that common but not all programs like E cores.

But hybrid cores are not without issues. Sure Skymont is far close to the P cores IPC which should make things easier. My work Alder Lake laptop has absolutely horrible SQL performance so much so that that 10C/12T is about FOUR times with stone complex queries compared to the old Haswell 2C/4T laptop. I even tried the latest MS SQL (which we can't currently use) but it was the same. Totally turning off E cores improved things massively there - it then "only" took 150% the time which the old Haswell over took - but then everything else was slow. For a 15W Alder Lake CPU it also throttles on all but its 90W supply while the 37W Haswell CPU was fine on a 65W supply.

That is extreme and not that common but not all programs like E cores.
I'd use a workstation/server, and RDP into it from your laptop.

Arrow lake power limits revealed including cancelled models

One cancelled model has 40 cores, 8P and 32E, this CPU had a PL2 power limit of 352watts and PL4 power limit of 667watts

The highest core count for arrow lake will be 24 cores. The 32 and 40 core CPUs were cancelled due to the extreme power draw
352 and god forbid 667 watts!? Wouldn't that melt the traces on the motherboard? It happened to me once.

Have to be honest I'm not that enthused by that performance uplift albeit Geekbench often isn't a good representation of real world results. In fact actually makes me feel better again about buying the 14700K as long as I'm not affected by the CPU failure issue as it is still not that far off the faster CPUs while considerably cheaper.

Be interesting to see how the rumoured 12P/24T Bartlett parts stack up if they get launched.

Certainly something I'll keep an eye on, E cores are alright but not a perfect solution. For many applications I'd far rather have 12 proper cores. But I suspect it will probably just be very similar to the 14900KS for performance and power efficiency. (Some specific multi-thread workloads aside).

EDIT: What I find interesting on many of the forum threads on these Bartlett-S CPUs is people instead posting yearnings for the days of the X79 and X99 chipsets hah - kind of the same myself.
Some of us aren't yearning, Im still on X79 now, but not for much longer, I was going to go AM5 once X870 comes out, but if Arrowlake is out on the 17/10 then I will wait and see how that looks before deciding.

Back
Top Bottom