• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core Ultra 9 285k 'Arrow Lake' Discussion/News ("15th gen") on LGA-1851

Man of Honour
Also interesting to see if this does come to fruition, how they will deal with the failure issues on 13th and 14th gen. From what i've read it's mostly to do with the Ring that's deteriorating right?

Hasn't been proven yet what the problem is.

In terms of bus architecture if it was a fairly minor update that is basically what it would look like, talk is it is 2x 6P tiles with internal ring bus and high bandwidth switch but dunno about that.

Man of Honour
Rocket Lake increased clocks significantly from Cometlake (10th gen).
Hmm, that's not what I remember?

Wikipedia says (base, all-core, max-boost):
11900K: 3.5, 4.8, 5.3
10900K: 3.7, 4.8, 5.3

11700K: 3.6, 4.6, 5.0
10700K: 3.8, 4.7, 5.1

11600K: 3.9, 4.6, 4.9
10600K: 4.1, 4.5, 4.8

Man of Honour
I have a hard time getting my head around 10th gen performance heh - it has kind of dated badly but at the same time still relevant - my Legion Go for example has stronger single thread and not hideously behind for multi-thread:

Lenovo Legion Go 687/6288 in CPU-z for ST/MT, 10900K stock 577/7136 according to the CPU-z site though most people are talking ~630/7200 for stock.

(EDIT: Slightly overclocked actually 10900K)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sorry, I misread Rocket Lake as Raptor Lake :D
Oh right, what I was trying to say about Rocket was that maybe since Intel knew their 14nm process so good, they didn't go crazy with the clocks on 11th gen, but they have made that mistake with their new process after 12th gen.

What buildzoid suggests would make sense, since I'd guess their engineering data about 14nm would be very extensive after using it for so long.

I have a hard time getting my head around 10th gen performance heh - it has kind of dated badly but at the same time still relevant - my Legion Go for example has stronger single thread and not hideously behind for multi-thread:
I see 10th gen as "peak-Skylake" and Skylake always had strong performance at high clocks. It is surprising how even now the 8700K can cling on against modern i5s and get decent-enough gaming performance. It took AMD until Zen 3 to consistently beat it.

It is definitely starting to age as an architecture though and 11th gen onward are pulling ahead more meaningfully. Arrow Lake kind of reminds me of 11th gen, due to the loss of hyper threading it has been compromised, but over the longer-term those advantages (like a higher base IPC) will show.

Soldato
OP
Oh right, what I was trying to say about Rocket was that maybe since Intel knew their 14nm process so good, they didn't go crazy with the clocks on 11th gen, but they have made that mistake with their new process after 12th gen.

What buildzoid suggests would make sense, since I'd guess their engineering data about 14nm would be very extensive after using it for so long.

I see 10th gen as "peak-Skylake" and Skylake always had strong performance at high clocks. It is surprising how even now the 8700K can cling on against modern i5s and get decent-enough gaming performance. It took AMD until Zen 3 to consistently beat it.

It is definitely starting to age as an architecture though and 11th gen onward are pulling ahead more meaningfully. Arrow Lake kind of reminds me of 11th gen, due to the loss of hyper threading it has been compromised, but over the longer-term those advantages (like a higher base IPC) will show.

Yeah I don't think Intel were happy or comfortable pushing Raptor Lake to such high clocks. They were forced to, due to Zen4's performance, especially the X3D chips.

I think the 13900K should have been the highest stock frequency used for Intel 7 process, perhaps with 100Mhz less top boost and all core.

Man of Honour
I upgraded from i7 4770K to i5 12600K and the difference in gaming performance was astonishing...I hadn't realised how much the CPU was holding back frame-rates! Literally doubled my FPS with that change.

My Xeon 1650 V2 of that era albeit highly clocked held up pretty well upto a 3070 - not sure it would have done so well with the 4080 Super I've got in my gaming setup now but I've not tested that combination hah.

Back
Top Bottom