• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core Ultra 9 285k 'Arrow Lake' Discussion/News ("15th gen") on LGA-1851

Impressive results but I wish reviewers would normalise their results for threads, battery size, display, etc.

Windows laptops will always be limited because of Windows, but will be happy with good battery life and no fan noise.

Last edited:
Looks like Intel could be back in the big league as well.

Yep looking very good:

12 Channel 8800 MT/s RAM is also a huge step if you are bandwidth constrained

1.9x gain in performance per watt should bring Intel inline with AMD. Its a bit of trade off but I think Intel fully embracing dual sockets in favour of power efficiency over scalability is the correct decision.

It’s been some time since Intel could even be considered on technical merit. Fingers crossed they haven’t cut corners reaching this point.

Might be time for a Xeon 6 thread soon.

Last edited:
1.9x gain in performance per watt should bring Intel inline with AMD. Its a bit of trade off but I think Intel fully embracing dual sockets in favour of power efficiency over scalability is the correct decision.

It’s been some time since Intel could even be considered on technical merit. Fingers crossed they haven’t cut corners reaching this point.

Might be time for a Xeon 6 thread soon.

From this we don't know if that's true or not, they didn't actually compare efficiency, instead they just talked a bunch of platitudes about it not being a 500 watt CPU if you only run it at about 70% load, well derp.... and its where this "1.9x gain in performance per watt" comes from, its completely contrived and true for any CPU, not just this one.
There is a theme unfolding with Intel, it started with the laptop parts and now these, proper efficiency testing is now not being done.

Intel marketing mat be playing games, but consider this:
For the last few years AMD had the clearly superior part for almost server loads, yet Intel still out sold them.
Now with them being technically far closer, all those "nobody ever got fired for buying Intel" people are unlikely to switch.

We will see once Turin is out but I suspect there will no longer be an outright winner now but rather things will be far more workload dependent. I'm sure certain workloads will continue to benefit for SMT and AVX512.

Ironically, servers are probably where more advanced (and expensive) packaging is less of an issue. Gaming loads on the other hand...

Last edited:
The fact that they didn't do any efficiency comparisons with their competitor tells me It's less efficient, and that's against AMD's 18-month-old outgoing Zen 4, Zen 5 EPYC has significant performance and performance per watt improvements and that's launching in weeks from now.

I'm not talking away from these parts they are much better than they have been in the last few years from Intel, but keeping it real instead of platituding a whole load of empathy good will their way because the product isn't completely **** and you know they have been beat up by AMD, they could do with a hug and a leg up.

Intel marketing mat be playing games, but consider this:
For the last few years AMD had the clearly superior part for almost server loads, yet Intel still out sold them.
Now with them being technically far closer, all those "nobody ever got fired for buying Intel" people are unlikely to switch.

We will see once Turin is out but I suspect there will no longer be an outright winner now but rather things will be far more workload dependent. I'm sure certain workloads will continue to benefit for SMT and AVX512.

Ironically, servers are probably where more advanced (and expensive) packaging is less of an issue. Gaming loads on the other hand...

Technically true yes.

However, Intel are running their server line business at a loss, AMD are making healthy profits, despite all that Intel are doing in that to maintain their market share they are still failing, Intel do sell more Xeon than AMD sell EPYC, EPYC sales are constantly on the up at the expense of Xeon, Intel are constantly loosing market share to AMD.

Last edited:
The fact that they didn't do any efficiency comparisons with their competitor tells me It's less efficient, and that's against AMD's 18-month-old outgoing Zen 4, Zen 5 EPYC has significant performance and performance per watt improvements and that's launching in weeks from now.

I'm not talking away from these parts they are much better than they have been in the last few years from Intel, but keeping it real instead of platituding a whole load of empathy good will their way because the product isn't completely **** and you know they have been beat up by AMD, they could do with a hug and a leg up.

Technically true yes.

However, Intel are running their server line business at a loss, AMD are making healthy profits, despite all that Intel are doing in that to maintain their market share they are still failing, Intel do sell more Xeon than AMD sell EPYC, EPYC sales are constantly on the up at the expense of Xeon, Intel are constantly loosing market share to AMD.
seems to me that most of the gains are coming from DRDIMM memory also pricing and supply will be interesting with them being fabbed at TSMC.

I thought these are being fabbed on intel 3.
Arrow Lake is now all TSMC as the Intel lower end (i3 etc.) were cancelled.
The new server parts are all Intel 3 AFAIK though.
Although just Intel are releasing so much stuff ATM that it is very hard to remember - then again I don't find the various Lakes, Mounts, and Coves very memorable.

Back
Top Bottom