• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core Ultra 9 285k 'Arrow Lake' Discussion/News ("15th gen") on LGA-1851

meanwhile. amd fans buy two or three cpus for one mobo.

meanwhile, I buy 1 mobo and 1 cpu (intel) in the same time frame...

le sigh.
eg. i got b450+2400g (for my decrepit old mum) I decided to 'upgrade' it with a 5600G. motherboard died shortly after. got new motherboard.

...meanwhile still on same intel platform in the same time frame....but i'm in the process of billdinG yet another intel thing like a good 10 year old.

(feel free to delete) but for some reason i'm recalling this vid.:

Last edited:
meanwhile. amd fans buy two or three cpus for one mobo.

meanwhile, I buy 1 mobo and 1 cpu (intel) in the same time frame...

le sigh.
eg. i got b450+2400g (for my decrepit old mum) I decided to 'upgrade' it with a 5600G. motherboard died shortly after. got new motherboard.

...meanwhile still on same intel platform in the same time frame....but i'm in the process of billdinG yet another intel thing like a good 10 year old.

(feel free to delete) but for some reason i'm recalling this vid.:

Usually no reason to do them on intel when it's a few percent between generations. Am4 had some large jumps from gen to gen.

Or maybe got unlucky board going faulty, unless you telling me every AMD board goes faulty?
typical in my experience.
whether it is intel or amd. motherboards have been the most unreliable part for me over the past 20 years.
i'm envious of any who still have mobo's from 10-20 years ago still functioning. (from a reliability perspective)

i had one motherboard which died within the 3 year warranty (only warranty i've ever used) and i got a replacement.

i think they see me coming in the shops and reach for the defective one. :D so the joke's on me!

and there is data for failure rates from x, y, z, manufacturers of motherboards. and other stuff. it is pot luck whether you get a very reliable part or a dud.

===
Am4 had some large jumps from gen to gen.

a relevant point

Last edited:
Maybe this would be the direct competitor to the 9800x3D, it would be something to at least match it.
Not even Arrow Lake will match the gaming performance of 9800/9950X3D, so a LGA1700 refresh with 12P cores certainly won't - the IPC is just too low and TDP would be too high to maintain 14900k clocks even.

LGA1700 is dead - fastest CPU's for gaming on it are the 14900k/ks - which are much slower than the 9800X3D/9950X3D.

Last edited:
I know i know.... but he has spotted something, while on the slides its says "targeting 125 watts" if you read the patch notes the word "targeting" here is meaningless, its was actually running at 250 watts in all but one of their tests, all but one, the power consumption test.

AMD do this sort of thing too, that's not my point, these scores have been achieved once again by running the CPU in a 250 watt MCE like configuration.

These things are on TSMC's best, most expensive node.

Last edited:
Not even Arrow Lake will match the gaming performance of 9800/9950X3D, so a LGA1700 refresh with 12P cores certainly won't - the IPC is just too low and TDP would be too high to maintain 14900k clocks even.

LGA1700 is dead - fastest CPU's for gaming on it are the 14900k/ks - which are much slower than the 9800X3D/9950X3D.

How do we know this, is the 9950X3D even out yet or coming anytime soon?

Last edited:

If, and it is far from certain, the rumours are true the P core only "Bartlett" parts are a completely different beast to existing RL architecture using tweaked Redwood tiles with additional cache and a different bus design.

As before would seem an odd move to me for Intel to overshadow their newer platform with a faster gaming CPU on the older one but the rumours still are new LGA1700 CPUs are coming.

If, and it is far from certain, the rumours are true the P core only "Bartlett" parts are a completely different beast to existing RL architecture using tweaked Redwood tiles with additional cache and a different bus design.

As before would seem an odd move to me for Intel to overshadow their newer platform with a faster gaming CPU on the older one but the rumours still are new LGA1700 CPUs are coming.

Yeah I think hell will freeze over before Intel go backwards and release a new, faster CPU with new layout/architecture on an old dead platform. Some rumours as just dumb.

Yeah I think hell will freeze over before Intel go backwards and release a new, faster CPU with new layout/architecture on an old dead platform. Some rumours as just dumb.

Jaykihn has a reasonable track record for leaks that there may be some truth to it and not the only "source" with some previous correct leaks which has dropped information about it so I wouldn't write it off as just some dumb rumour.

Steve (HUB) doesn't seem that convinced that the newer X3D chips will be all that much faster than the 7000 ones, at least that's his thoughts on their podcast they just posted. Yeah he's obviously guessing but..
I didn't hear him say that.
He pointed out that MSI leaked tests were mostly GPU bound and inconclusive. And that in X3D comparison a clock increase between generations will be more significant

10C lower on average. sometimes more, or less, depending on the programme. is what I am reading. for ARL.
and some tweaks on cache, IPC.
lower clocks. If I had to choose, and I have, ARL betterer than 14th gen. for those reasons.
testings will show best/worst/average case results eventually.

and rumours abound for a pantherlake-to-desktop possibility as a refresh, versus novalake. no idea. blablabla mlid

Last edited:
when i asked support for an ETA on my 285k preorder i was told "Please keep an eye out for any posts on our social media or our forums", did they mean this thread?
im new so not sure where they typically post that type of info/updates?

Back
Top Bottom