• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core Ultra 9 285k 'Arrow Lake' Discussion/News ("15th gen") on LGA-1851

They realised their mistake some years ago, but its not something that can be turned around overnight. This release of CPU's could be devastating to them, though.

This to be honest, as I think the end-to-end process is around 5 years.

Pat's predecessor Bob Swan, was known for being a bean counter rather than technical which is one of the reasons for the mess I'd assume today. Panther Lake and subsequent CPUs will have been more under Pats watch, as he has heavily bet on 18A.

I assume UK stock arrives towards the tail in the next week, looking forward to testing the Apex and OCF out.

I have very high hopes for the OCF, as Nick Shih has been working his magic

My hopes are as high as yours but i won't know until the board lands in my office.

Best case scenario - Intel refreshes the 15th generation with a die shrink to 20a (2nm) in 2025, for desktops. They resign the chip to integrate the memory controller onto the CPU tile.

Is the 20a process really dead, I wonder? Are those foundries gonna remain idle for another year?

Risk production on 18a won't be until the end of this year apparently, so products may not see the light of day until 2026:

Last edited:
I think this is the most impressive overview of new 15th generation CPUs like the 285K that I've seen:

Lots of automated testing used to easily show the differences between CPUs.

The 285K just isn't handling games like Cyberpunk, particularly with RT enabled. The 12900K is handling this game much better.

In other games like Starfield, the 285K fairs much better.

Last edited:
This to be honest, as I think the end-to-end process is around 5 years.

Pat's predecessor Bob Swan, was known for being a bean counter rather than technical which is one of the reasons for the mess I'd assume today. Panther Lake and subsequent CPUs will have been more under Pats watch, as he has heavily bet on 18A.

Yes. They missed a number of opportunities to grow the company (smartphones, graphics cards, AI) and generally failed to be innovative. By the time they realised their mistake it was 2017. They have been trying to sort themselves out ever since then, but of course they have suffered some major setbacks of late.

Personally, I am not sure how long I will wait. I don't upgrade CPU all that often, but usually inside about three years or so. At the moment I have a 12700K. I was planning to upgrade it this year, and I usually stick to what I know, so it would have been intel. I've shelved those plans. I guess I will wait another year and see what happens. It's disappointing, though. Once I get the upgrade bug I have to build something! I might buy a new case and cooler or something.

what is starfield doing that the other games are not?

or is it what are the other games doing that starfield is not? at a programming level?
meh scrub it.

Starfield uses a very old game engine that is probably poorly threaded

So perhaps a case of Errorlake struggling with new game engines

Last edited:
Best case scenario - Intel refreshes the 15th generation with a die shrink to 20a (2nm) in 2025, for desktops. They resign the chip to integrate the memory controller onto the CPU tile.

Is the 20a process really dead, I wonder? Are those foundries gonna remain idle for another year?

Risk production on 18a won't be until the end of this year apparently, so products may not see the light of day until 2026:

18A first product is Clearwater Forest and launch is expected in June/July next year, around a year after Sierra Forest. Panther lake should be Q4. There are not that many differences between 20A and 18A, and judging by the DD published for 18A it should be already a pretty healthy node (compute tile of panther lake should have around a 60% yield a year before launch). Nova Lake is probably 18AP which provides a 10% improvement in perf per watt. But that’s late 26.

Edit: and yes 20A is dead and I don’t expect a ARL-S refresh if it happens on 18A, it will probably still use N3B

Last edited:
Its still worth to take 14700K? now is cheaper

I've written a reply about four times now and each time ended up deleting it.

You know, I am a huge intel fan. I have never bought anything other than intel. It pains me to say this, but AMD are so, so much better right now, and it doesn't matter how I try to justify an intel purchase, I really can't.

Although it is sometimes as good as the 14700k, there are times when it certainly is not.

And to make matters worse, we still don't really know for sure if the problems with the 14700K have been resolved.

Last edited:
I think this is the most impressive overview of new 15th generation CPUs like the 285K that I've seen:

Lots of automated testing used to easily show the differences between CPUs.

The 285K just isn't handling games like Cyberpunk, particularly with RT enabled. The 12900K is handling this game much better.

In other games like Starfield, the 285K fairs much better.

Apparently L3 cache latency is… abysmal. The more intensive the game is on the L3 the worse it performs.

It has been reported Lunar Lake has LionCove+ with a better memory hierarchy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom