• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Yes working fine.
BIOS ver 1504
I updated using USB flashback, didn't have to i just prefer to do that.
Be aware it will flash the firmware on restart so don't panic and keep your hands off the keyboard and reset switch

Any issues I am having at the moment are my own fault for messing around with the DC chip at the edge of stability.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lol, im waiting on a mate getting me some thermal paste. All i have is some very old as ceramique. Don't know if it would be ok to use it.

@retro, vcore on yours is pretty impressive. Loads of headroom on volts and temps by the looks of it.

Permabanned
Lol, im waiting on a mate getting me some thermal paste. All i have is some very old as ceramique. Don't know if it would be ok to use it.

@Retro, vcore on yours is pretty impressive. Loads of headroom on volts and temps by the looks of it.

I used MX-4 on my Corsair H105. Fan speeds are 800rpm. MX-4 has always been a great paste for me. I'm happy at 4.5 I'll oc if I need to. I see no need. Like I said not really into benchmarking any more...just pure gaming:)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I normally use liquid ultra but ill go with a conventional paste this time. Easier to clean and as theese chips seem to be a lot cooler there's not the same need to shave as many c as possible off. Liquid pro/ultra are generally 4-5c better than normal pastes.

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Before you all get too excited the only screenie shown was Superpi 32M about a third of the way through.

Soldato
Whats supposed to be the stock volts for these chips?

Mine was running at 1.25 when turboing to 4.4Ghz...that's when my temps were running so high...after selecting the XMP preset for the ram..

Caporegime
depends on each chip,im guessing around the 1.2v mark in windows and maybe 1.1v mark in bios

xmp might adjust the bclk aswell and auto voltage might overvolt more than needed so try reducing cpu v if you can

you'd need to experiment with the the right llc setting and cpu offset amount

Soldato
Cheers, it seems like for some reason it was feeding it way too much voltage for stock clocks. I am not that interested in overclocking it, I want it to just turbo to 4.4 at good temps so that I can have my system nice and quiet. Any speed difference in games over 4.4 is probably negligible to me.

Back
Top Bottom