• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Associate
Ok my new rig is up , but I'm a bit nervous about the temps on this new CPU.

I'm running a H110i GT on top of a Define R5 in a push configuration , blowing out. I'm seeing temps of 83C using Intel Burn Test measured by HWMonitor !?

Intel XTU is showing 68C Max when doing a 5 min stress

By default the motherboard puts the CPU VCore to 1.267v

I have undervolted my CPU to 1.150v and it has dropped my Intel XTU temps to 60C when doing a 5 min stress test .

Coming from a i7 930 I'm not used to this kind of heat. I had a read on the internet , many have suggested this is normal for a 4790K.

Guess I'm expecting too much from this CPU :D

Associate
Run Intel Burn Test often do you? :D

These newer, smaller process CPUs just don't have the surface area to get rid of heat quickly enough when you put them under unrealistic stress (IBT or Prime95 small FFT), or a stupid amount of voltage through them (extreme OC with liquid nitrogen).

Don't worry as long as your everyday workload is keeping the temperatures down at more sane levels.

Associate
Run Intel Burn Test often do you? :D

These newer, smaller process CPUs just don't have the surface area to get rid of heat quickly enough when you put them under unrealistic stress (IBT or Prime95 small FFT), or a stupid amount of voltage through them (extreme OC with liquid nitrogen).

Don't worry as long as your everyday workload is keeping the temperatures down at more sane levels.

Haha that's the general consensus I get from reading around.

Well I'm getting about 62C Max @ Stock Vcore (1.267v) on playing GTA V atm. Idles about 29-32C anyways.

Cheers :D

Soldato

I'm running a H110i GT on top of a Define R5 in a push configuration , blowing out. I'm seeing temps of 83C using Intel Burn Test measured by HWMonitor !?

I have undervolted my CPU to 1.150v and it has dropped my Intel XTU temps to 60C when doing a 5 min stress test .

Coming from a i7 930 I'm not used to this kind of heat. I had a read on the internet , many have suggested this is normal for a 4790K.

Normal

Associate
New chip in, seems to clock well but things are getting a bit warm. So far I'm at 4.8 at 1.27 but under Aida temps are getting up to 90 every now and again although generally floating around 80. Up to 2 Hours in Aida now and things are stable so fingers crossed.

Cooler is a Megahalem with an Apache fan Tim is Thermal Grizzly Kryo. Do these temps seem as expected for this combination at this speed/vcore?

Soldato

IBT seems to boost voltage higher by around 0.0.5V at certain points in the test hence the higher temps. On mine it actually hits 100C @ 4.7GHz 1.3V (boosts to 1.35V in IBT) so I don't use it at all. You could get around this voltage boost by fixing voltage in bios but then you wouldn't get the energy saving benefits of auto voltage control.

For general stability testing use an old version of Prime95, Intel XTU or Asus RealBench.

Associate
New chip in, seems to clock well but things are getting a bit warm. So far I'm at 4.8 at 1.27 but under Aida temps are getting up to 90 every now and again although generally floating around 80. Up to 2 Hours in Aida now and things are stable so fingers crossed.

Cooler is a Megahalem with an Apache fan Tim is Thermal Grizzly Kryo. Do these temps seem as expected for this combination at this speed/vcore?

Spoke too soon, looks like its fallen off the network. will have to have a look when I get home. At least I don't seem to have hit the 4.7 wall others have with it already being stable for 2hrs in Aida.

C64

C64

Soldato
IBT seems to boost voltage higher by around 0.0.5V at certain points in the test hence the higher temps. On mine it actually hits 100C @ 4.7GHz 1.3V (boosts to 1.35V in IBT) so I don't use it at all. You could get around this voltage boost by fixing voltage in bios but then you wouldn't get the energy saving benefits of auto voltage control.

For general stability testing use an old version of Prime95, Intel XTU or Asus RealBench.

You stress test with manual voltage find the stability then use adaptive voltage

Associate
If found something useful today, if I fix my voltage at what I need it to be (1.185v), and enable C1 and C3 power saving states, the CPU will still ramp it's voltage down to ~0.73 when speed step kicks in. C6/7 cause the idle volts to drop even lower, but I'm concerned that this will introduce lag as the CPU ramps up.

This for me is better than adaptive or offset voltage, as I use a negative offset which normally makes the idle and non turbo volts too low. Now I can have the best of both.

Soldato
I'm trying to fine tune my OC. I've got it stable at 4.7 but I'm trying to push further. I'm currently at 4.8 with 1.34v but Realbench keeps failing the video encode section.

I've really just set XMP, upped the multiplier and upped the vcore to get where I am. So I think I need to fine tune.

The problem for me is understanding the ASUS terminology in BIOS. What is the terminology for the following :

VRIN Override volts
CPU Ring volts

Any guides for 4790k on ASUS BIOS would be warmly welcomed. :D

Soldato
I'm trying to fine tune my OC. I've got it stable at 4.7 but I'm trying to push further. I'm currently at 4.8 with 1.34v but Realbench keeps failing the video encode section.

I've really just set XMP, upped the multiplier and upped the vcore to get where I am. So I think I need to fine tune.

The problem for me is understanding the ASUS terminology in BIOS. What is the terminology for the following :

VRIN Override volts
CPU Ring volts

These guides may help..

http://overclocking.guide/asus-maximus-vii-ranger/

http://rog.asus.com/254052013/maximus-motherboards/recommended-settings-for-overclocking-maximus-vi-motherboards/

The ring voltage is same as cpu cache voltage it seems.

Last edited:
Soldato

VRIN Override volts
CPU Ring volts

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18687108

Posts 8 and 9 are on Asus mobo's

Caporegime
Also, regarding input. I've found that you don't have to bother touching the initial setting, just the eventual input one. Its generally accepted that input should be at least 0.5v higher than vcore. Ie in my case, 1.300 core = 1.800 input.

Soldato
Also, regarding input. I've found that you don't have to bother touching the initial setting, just the eventual input one. Its generally accepted that input should be at least 0.5v higher than vcore. Ie in my case, 1.300 core = 1.800 input.

I've even tried upto 2.05v input voltage but made no difference when trying for 4.8GHz so best to leave it on auto.

Back
Top Bottom