• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Associate
That won't be pretty.

Ok so it isn't just me then :)

I had never used Aida64 before and when i saw the temps I almost fell over. Then i got to thinking overclocking to 4.8 at 1.35v is just madness as it just under clocks itself at 100deg because if it isn't stable or doesn't remain at 4.8 at REAL (Aida64 FPU) load then whats the point.

I then decided to stick with 4.5GHz and under-volt as much as I can, at the moment i am at 4.5GHz at 1.2V and was surprised (will try lower voltage and see where it gets too). So far it hasn't crashed after a 2 hour using FPU and other loads + superpi.

Did find this note though on the net: "The FPU test puts a very heavy stress on the processor, both load-wise and thermal-wise. It is a very unique test in a sense that not many other stress tests or applications are capable of pushing your processor that far -- using AVX, AVX2 and FMA instructions indeed helps AIDA64 to achieve that level of stressing. Whether you deem it is useful for your particular usage scenario or not is completely up to you to decide ;) If you use AIDA64 to measure your temperatures while running applications or games, and you can see much lower temperatures than what you did while running the AIDA64 FPU stress test, then you may have some headroom in upping the CPU clock and/or voltage."

So guess it is not a real world scenario.

Last edited:

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Ok so it isn't just me then :)

I had never used Aida64 before and when i saw the temps I almost fell over. Then i got to thinking overclocking to 4.8 at 1.35v is just madness as it just under clocks itself at 100deg because if it isn't stable or doesn't remain at 4.8 at REAL (Aida64 FPU) load then whats the point.

I then decided to stick with 4.5GHz and under-volt as much as I can, at the moment i am at 4.5GHz at 1.2V and was surprised (will try lower voltage and see where it gets too). So far it hasn't crashed after a 2 hour using FPU and other loads + superpi.

Did find this note though on the net: "The FPU test puts a very heavy stress on the processor, both load-wise and thermal-wise. It is a very unique test in a sense that not many other stress tests or applications are capable of pushing your processor that far -- using AVX, AVX2 and FMA instructions indeed helps AIDA64 to achieve that level of stressing. Whether you deem it is useful for your particular usage scenario or not is completely up to you to decide ;) If you use AIDA64 to measure your temperatures while running applications or games, and you can see much lower temperatures than what you did while running the AIDA64 FPU stress test, then you may have some headroom in upping the CPU clock and/or voltage."

So guess it is not a real world scenario.

Well it's not P95, so it doesn't get 8packs panties in a knot :)

de select all tests except FPU for max stress.

Caporegime
so i updated bio to see if that help and updated some program for the motherboard . bios for board is now f6 . I still really new to all this as never really had to overclock or change volt on a cpu before so any help welcomed . I will however say i find it really interesting :)

here what I got showing just now .

motherboard hardware monitor and realtemp and cpu-z

better pic of realtemp and cpu-z reading

motherboard auto tuning results

Edit...I have since follow what $ilent said to do in a mail on a other forum when I ask them how they sorted high stock voltage. Can put New pic of results later if people want to see

What was this advice you got mate?

Also see that Asus have released an updated bios today, ver 1505.

Caporegime
Not bad mate if i avoid anything using AVX instructions, with programs like this at stock it runs as hot as my 4770k did at 4.5ghz on 1.271 vcore.

@Faceman, same core clock yes but DC defaults to a higher uncore, 4400 iirc. Hence in some benches it scores higher than my old chip as i ran default uncore on it. Ram at same speed with both chips.

Last edited:

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Clock for clock exactly the same right?

Any IPC improvements?

Clock for Clock they are the same as the 4770k.
Couldn't be any other way as they are the same core.

Any differences in benchmarks between 4770k and 4790k at the same clock speeds will be down to memory speed/timings, the speed the north bridges are running (Cache) and OS version/tweaks.

Note: On My ASUS board the default speeds are 4.4 on all cores with 4.4Ghz cache.
Quite a bit higher than the default 39 for cache on the 4770k

Last edited:
Associate
What was this advice you got mate?

Also see that Asus have released an updated bios today, ver 1505.

Adivice was "I think I reset CMOS, then proceeded to load optimized defaults.Also by stock this board doesnt automatically enable things like C states, C1E, EIST, basically all the stuff that makes your cpu underclock and undervolt, so it will run at 4.4Ghz boost all the time unless you enable these settings. "

Caporegime
Clock for Clock they are the same as the 4770k.
Couldn't be any other way as they are the same core.

Any differences in benchmarks between 4770k and 4790k at the same clock speeds will be down to memory speed/timings, the speed the north bridges are running (Cache) and OS version/tweaks.

Note: On My ASUS board the default speeds are 4.4 on all cores with 4.4Ghz cache.
Quite a bit higher than the default 39 for cache on the 4770k
Ive just flashed bios on my Z87 formula to version 1505, cache speed is now lowered to 4ghz as opposed to 4.4 on ver 1504.

Adivice was "I think I reset CMOS, then proceeded to load optimized defaults.Also by stock this board doesnt automatically enable things like C states, C1E, EIST, basically all the stuff that makes your cpu underclock and undervolt, so it will run at 4.4Ghz boost all the time unless you enable these settings. "
Same on mine at stock, voltage is constant as is clockspeed. Not fussed on theese as i usually clock on fixed voltage anyway.

Back
Top Bottom