• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Setup:

Case:Fractal Design R4 (Standard 2 fans, push + pull)
Heatsink: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev C CPU Cooler
Heatsink Fan: Scythe Slip Stream 1300RPM PWM Fan - 120mm
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
Bios: F6

Ok so ran wPrime @ standard settings, got these results, seems high heat as standard?

Clicked the auto overclock option in the bios to take it to 4.7ghz and the temps hit 99/100 on all cores. Seems a crazy hot chip compared to my 3770k?

When you did the auto clock to 4.7 what core voltage were you running ?
Try it again with a manually set 1.3v

hmm mines becoming rather annoying :(

im hitting 90c temps

running gigabyte gaming 7 board / 4790k / h60

im running F4 bios ive set the vcore to 1.200 but its hitting high temps still

i have even disabled intel boost but reaches same temps

hmm mines becoming rather annoying :(

im hitting 90c temps

running gigabyte gaming 7 board / 4790k / h60

im running F4 bios ive set the vcore to 1.200 but its hitting high temps still

i have even disabled intel boost but reaches same temps

eek and is that with the cpu at stock?

When you did the auto clock to 4.7 what core voltage were you running ?
Try it again with a manually set 1.3v

It had auto set to like 1.42 iirc. Guessing they over volt using the auto setting?

Will try again tomorrow. So set to overboost to 4.7 using the auto overclock setting but also manually set the volts to 1.3?

It had auto set to like 1.42 iirc. Guessing they over volt using the auto setting?

Will try again tomorrow. So set to overboost to 4.7 using the auto overclock setting but also manually set the volts to 1.3?

It is a starting point.
you may need a bit more or if your lucky a little less.

I have a similar situation to the guys above with mine. My board is a Z97X Gaming 7.

I have everything on auto, and if I run Cinebench (to stress the CPU), it flies up to 90c~ temps. It seems to drop the voltage at idle to around 0.9v (according to CPU-Z), and under load it seems to set it to about 1.375v. Idle temps seem to be around 30c, which is a bit too good for the stock cooler perhaps... the reported max speed of the fan is 2100RPM, is this about right?

I tried briefly setting the volts to 1.275 and everything ran fine, and the idle temps dropped even further, but as soon as I put it under load, it's back at 90c again... :confused:

Under a typical usage scenario it never approaches those temperatures, but it does seem somewhat strange... am I missing something!

I'm using HWMonitor to view the temps in Windows. Going to try something else now.

I would say you are ~0.2v higher than is required. Idle should be ~0.720v so logically speaking if your board is giving you a starting point of 0.2v higher than required for idle, it would stand to reason it would possibly be doing that all the way up to 100% load. I would imagine you should be able to run at stock on 1.2v give or take +/- 0.025v either way.

At stock, my Asus Hero (z87) is putting 1.264v when turbo is applied and 1.248v at 4.0Ghz. I imagine even that is overvolting slightly, but as yet haven't had the opportunity to do a bit of tweaking at the lower end.

Last edited:
latest bios will help with stock voltages

Just updated from F4 to F6 and it is indeed better! Cheers! :cool:

It's still hitting a fairly toasty 80/85c with Cinebench running, but on the stock cooler (with everything auto) I guess that isn't too bad. That's at 4.4Ghz when on auto, too.

what board and bios were you on?

I checked with the bios team and all current bioses on the website for Z97 series should have the default vcore sorted out now

I had a colleague test the Z97X-SOC Force F6 bios and it shows 1v with turbo disabled and 1.2 with turbo disabled

On the Z87 range the bios is still in beta testing and verification stage and should on online soon guys!

In Version 1505 of the ASUS BIOS for the Z87s AUTO is also setting high vcore. 1.376v at 4.7
That is too high and any big loads will send temps to the moon.

On my Asus Hero Z87 (1505 bios) with everything at Auto apart from the multi @ 47 Aida64 reports vcore at 1.34v. I can boot into Windows @1.29v but hangs when running Cinebench. Ram was at 2400, still need to mess around some more but I'm contemplating ordering another and returning the lesser of the two. I should be happy with it becuase it's cooler than the 4770K I had but I was hoping for 4.7ghz, and vcore under 1.3v.

4.5ghz @ 1.24v passes Asus Realbench & Cinebench where temps max around 69c with 1.24v. Motherboard temp is 30c (high room ambient temps).

On AUTO it is 1.376 on load at 4.7 bios 1505
With LLC left on AUTO it raises the vcore under load.

I set 1.30 at 4.7 and it runs fine.
3Dmark physics tests, CB R15 AIDA etc.

No amount of voltage will get my CHIP stable at 4.8
Massive wall at 4.7 which I cant cross.

Sure it will go to desktop at 4.8 and run some things but ask it to run CB R15 or 3D mark and it will bluescreen with 101 errors.

Last edited:
Just updated from F4 to F6 and it is indeed better! Cheers! :cool:

It's still hitting a fairly toasty 80/85c with Cinebench running, but on the stock cooler (with everything auto) I guess that isn't too bad. That's at 4.4Ghz when on auto, too.

80/85 degrees on the stock cooler at stock clocks and voltages?

Something has to be wrong there surely.

The Intel cooler is awful but it's not that bad

Back
Top Bottom