• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

default volts:
1610nxf.jpg

Would those using 4790k's on Z87 please post which MB they are using.
Hopefully we can get a list of DC friendly z87 boards.

I am using the ASUS HERO VI bios version 1505 (1504 also works)

Gaming on mine just now, temps are so much lower at 4.7ghz than my old 4.5ghz 4770k. Auto fan results in a highest core temp of 61c. Same cooler, fans and settings on the old chip would get into the high 70's. Had to set fans manually to full speed, (which was incredibly loud) to keep it in the mid 60's. Extremely pleased with this.:D

Top job m8.:cool:

So if I don't already have a 1150 CPU, I'd need one prior to using the 4790k so I can do the Asus update? Well that sucks. :(

Another way to update would be to download the BIOS and rename it to M6F.CAP
Put it on a USB stick and pop it in the flashback usb port (usually they are outlined in white)
connect your 24 pin power cable from the PSU, turn on the PSU.
hold down the usb flashback button for a few seconds.
The led will start flashing about once a second and will flash more rapidly towards the end of the flash.

I cant guarantee this will do the firmware flash for you but it is your only option if you don't have an older CPU.

Getting 64c-65-65-63 here in games at 4.7ghz, much better but just had a freeze in bf3, (bf3 exe stopped responding). No bsod, shutdown etc. Could be oc related or just the game itself. Dice/ea games are buggy at best.

Must just be a slightly cooler chip at normal load. The paste im using is a tube of arctic ceramique ive had lying in a drawer for the past seven years. Ive gotta get a hold of some more up to date stuff.

Back
Top Bottom