• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

@ Griff7520 is that L4 batch and if so complete number if you have it handy.

Boom has a L3 thought better than some other L3/4's

Last edited:
What should I be using to stress test? It's been a while since i have done it. I have AIDA64, Intel ETU and ROG Realbench.

Mainly OCCT but I also run other quick tests like IBT and Cinebench. I don't bother with Prime95.

I remember when I overclocked by Q6600 from 2.4 to 3.4ghz. It was rock solid stable in games and everything I used it for and I kept it on 24/7. It would fail prime95 after 2 hours though.

If it is stable for everything that you run on it then it is stable right. OCCT seems to give the best indicator for this for me.

I run it for about an hour or two. I got to 4.7ghz at 1.24v using OCCT for 2 hours and stopped there. 4.8ghz to get OCCT stable needed 1.3volts which was too high for my liking, plus the temps got too high.

Hope this helps.

Right now their just isn't enough evidence to suggest that either L3 or L4 are better than one another. If anything it looks as if the, motherboard, system memory and cooling are playing a bigger part in what kind of overclocks are attainable, than what revision the chip is.

You can see it that way if you like as you have stated your opinion a few times now but I think L4 are better.

I will go by the thread on OC.net as its the best source so far.

I had a crap 4770k (same batch as other craps ones listed on XSForums) and now an avg 4790k that is actually older than the 4770k at 9months old.

My VID is 1.265v and its hotter than some others I have seen.

Does anyone know why my multiplier and voltage are locked to 4.4Ghz and 1.185 volts at stock when idle on desktop? I have loaded the optimized defaults but that has done nothing, Even when stress testing it still stays at 4.4Ghz. I thought it only boosted to that if 1 or 2 cores are being used?

I am using a GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 board.

Edit:

Tried resetting my CMOS but it is still happening :confused:

Last edited:
M
I run it for about an hour or two. I got to 4.7ghz at 1.24v using OCCT for 2 hours and stopped there. 4.8ghz to get OCCT stable needed 1.3volts which was too high for my liking, plus the temps got too high.

Hope this helps.

I'm seeing very similar results/volts with my chip, but continuing with the experimentation. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom